WHAT: Shatterproof, a national nonprofit focused on reversing the course of the addiction crisis in America, will host an event co-sponsored by Hyatt on Saturday, September 30. During this event, the Chicago community will come together to support family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues impacted by the disease of addiction. More than 46 million Americans ages 12 and older identify as having a substance use disorder (SUD) in the U.S. In the Chicago area, more than 1 million people aged 12 or older used any illicit drug in the past year. The annual Shatterproof Walk gives the community the opportunity to bring the disease of addiction into the light and share inspiring stories of hope and recovery. Participants will unite to engage in several activities geared toward ending the stigma associated with SUDs, including the community walk.
Other highlights include:
- The Shatterproof Community Resource Village will showcase SUD resources from local organizations.
- Participants can select a bracelet that speaks to them personally to represent why they are participating in the Shatterproof Walk — whether it be in memorial of a loved one, for themselves in recovery, or to show their support to those who have SUDs.
- An opening ceremony will profile local walkers touched by addiction and recognition of top teams, fundraisers and leading event sponsors.
Funds raised from the walk will support Shatterproof’s work in advocating for changes in federal and state policy as well as programming focused on saving lives and changing the conversation about addiction.
For more information or to register for the Shatterproof Walk event, visit: https://shatterproofwalk.org/chicago
Gary Mendell, Founder and CEO
CBS Chicago, WBBM-TV co-anchor and Emmy-winning journalist, Joe Donlon
Speaking and available for interviews
Saturday, September 30, 2023
8:00 a.m. Site opens
9:00 a.m. Opening Ceremony begins
9:30 a.m. Walk begins
2601 N Cannon Drive
Chicago, IL 60614
Shatterproof extends sincere thanks to the sponsors of the Shatterproof Walk:
- Exclusive Event Sponsor – Hyatt
- Champion Sponsor – Elevance Health Foundation, Indivior, Mariner Health Advisors, and Pacira
- Signature Sponsor – AllMed, Braeburn, CHUBB, ICG Advisors, JP Morgan Chase, and SoundCloud
- Gold Sponsor – Captivate, Global Lingo and HEI Hotel + Resorts
- Bronze Sponsor – Johns Burns Constructions and The Only Bra
- Media Sponsor – CBS Chicago and Lemonada Media