PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--While many think of summertime as the season of vacations, cookouts and relaxation, research shows that summer vacation can lead to added stress for parents and caretakers. In fact, with kids home from school, clutter can quickly pile up, increasing stress and decreasing productivity. To help alleviate summer stress, lifestyle expert and mom of two, Megan Winokur, is sharing her summer cleaning tips to help parents prepare for the summer messes ahead.
“Summer is a fun time for kids, but it can be a challenging time for parents who want to keep their homes clean and organized,” says Megan. “By establishing a cleaning routine ahead of summer, you can be better prepared for the many messes that are sure to come.”
Below, Megan shares her cleaning tips to help parents prep for summer messes:
- Establish a cleaning routine with your kids. Assign age-appropriate chores to your children and create a schedule for them to follow. This will help them develop good habits and take responsibility for keeping the house clean.
- Declutter regularly. Summer is a great time to go through your home and get rid of items you no longer need. I recommend decluttering and organizing your storage spaces, such as garages, sheds, or closets and creating designated areas for summer items like sports equipment, gardening tools and outdoor toys. This will make it easier to find what you need and prevent clutter from accumulating.
- Encourage outdoor play. When kids spend more time outside, they bring less dirt and clutter into the house. Set up a designated play area in the backyard to keep the mess contained. Also, create an outdoor cleaning station with a sink or hose, soap, and paper towels to rinse away dirt, mud, or spills without tracking them into the house.
- Wash your pool towels regularly. To keep pool towels clean and fresh, regularly wash them using a liquid detergent, such as Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Odor Blasters, or Arm & Hammer Sensitive Skin Free & Clear if you or your family experience skin sensitivities, and follow the care instructions on the towel’s label. Avoid using fabric softeners as they can leave residue on the towels and make them less absorbent.
- Protect indoor surfaces. Place outdoor mats and rugs near entrances and patios to capture dirt, sand, and grass before they make their way indoors. This will protect your indoor flooring from dirt, stains, and wear.
- Use protective covers: Use protective covers for outdoor furniture, grills, and other items to shield them from weather elements when not in use. This helps prevent damage and reduces the cleaning required later.
- Stock up on cleaning products: Try to have an adequate supply of cleaning products such as all-purpose cleaners, window cleaners, stain removers, disinfectants, and E-Cloth’s reusable microfiber cloths so you’re ready for any mess that may arise. Remember to read and follow the instructions on cleaning product labels, use them in well-ventilated areas, and keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
- Prepare for messes on the go. Preparing for messes in the car is important, especially during summer when road trips, beach outings, and outdoor activities are common. Use a car trash container to collect wrappers, food scraps, and other trash, as well as seat covers and floor mats that can be easily removed and washed. Also, it’s helpful to carry wet wipes or paper towels with you for any quick cleanups.
“I know summer can be stressful, so try your best to prioritize self-care and engage in activities that bring you joy and relaxation,” says Megan. “But, by following these tips, you can be well-prepared to tackle summer messes and enjoy a cleaner and more organized home throughout the summer.”