DEERFIELD, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--During Diabetes Awareness Month, Walgreens is teaming up with the company’s Health Corners, Village Medical at Walgreens, and third-party clinics to offer complimentary diabetes services, including education focused on management and prevention and free A1C and blood glucose testing, from Nov. 9-16.
Walgreens is committed to helping the diabetes community start and maintain an optimal regimen and routine to live a healthy life as a trusted member of their healthcare team, offering enhanced services focused on expanding access to affordable, local care. The company invests in special training to equip pharmacists with expert knowledge about medications, continuous glucose monitors, nutrition, how to keep A1C and blood glucose levels on target, and more. More than 20,000 pharmacists have completed this training to date.
“Walgreens understands how outcomes-focused, community-driven healthcare can make all the difference for people living with chronic conditions like diabetes,” said Brad Ulrich, Walgreens Pharmacy Operations and Services group vice president. “No matter where you are in your journey with diabetes, Walgreens is here to provide services that support better disease management and healthy living.”
The number of people with pre-diabetes and diabetes is rising at an alarming rate. There are currently 96 million American adults who have prediabetes – that's 1 in 3 adults. And more than 37 million Americans – about 1 in 10 – are living with diabetes.1
“Diabetes Awareness Month is a chance to learn more about all types of diabetes and remind people that in addition to the help you get from loved ones and friends, you can lean on Walgreens for support,” said Jamal Downer, pharmacist and pharmacy manager for a Walgreens location based in New York City.
Walgreens offers comprehensive expertise, services and products to support people living with diabetes:
Complimentary diabetes services from Nov. 9-16 including:
- Free A1C testing, blood glucose testing, and complimentary diabetes education at participating Walgreens Health Corner locations and third-party clinics.
- Complimentary diabetes education at all Village Medical at Walgreens locations.
- To learn more, visit Walgreens.com/FreeDiabetesScreening.
- Expansive diabetes product offerings including a large assortment of Walgreens brand health and wellness items like blood glucose meters and testing strips, blood pressure monitors, vitamins and supplements, foot care products and newly launched Walgreens brand pen needles that offer cost savings and fit all insulin pens on the market today.
- Largest provider of continuous glucose monitors including the Dexcom G6 and FreeStyle Libre 2 which track glucose levels all day and night – fewer finger sticks required.
- Affordable care options and tools including Walgreens Prescription Savings Club and Find Rx Coverage which offer insulin savings programs and affordable, predictable copayments on select insulins. Walgreens Find Care provides access to in-person and virtual healthcare expertise from the comfort of one’s home.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy and U.S. Healthcare segments of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader with a 170-year heritage of caring for communities. WBA’s purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving nearly 10 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services, including those that drive equitable access to care for the nation’s medically underserved populations. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high-quality products and services in communities nationwide.