HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NRG Energy Inc. (NYSE: NRG), a leading energy and consumer services company, released today its 12th annual Sustainability Report, documenting the company’s progress in advancing its sustainability ambitions while serving its nearly 6 million customers with power, gas, and energy-related services.
Among a multitude of accolades in 2021, NRG was declared the first and only North American power company whose climate goals are 1.5 degrees Celsius-aligned by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi). NRG also landed the #14 spot on the inaugural Forbes Green Growth 50 list, recognizing our success in reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions while increasing profits. Both distinctions demonstrate that profitability and sustainability are not mutually exclusive.
“I’m incredibly proud of our progress over the last year,” said Jeanne-Mey Sun, Vice President of Sustainability. “While there’s still a lot left to accomplish, with our talented team, unwavering leadership support, and aligned visions I believe we have a great platform for success.”
The full report can be found at https://www.nrg.com/sustainabilityreport. Key highlights and takeaways include:
- 64% revenue carbon intensity decrease since 2019
- Issued $1.1 Bn sustainability-linked bond
- Climate goals validated in March 2021 as 1.5°C-aligned by SBTi
- ~44% GHG emissions reduction since 2014, equivalent to roughly 27 million metric tons of CO2e or nearly 68 billion miles driven by an average passenger vehicle1
- Cumulative 2.6 GW renewable power purchase agreements to date2
- $10 MM in donations, relief efforts, grants, and employee-matched donations
- Best-ever safety record at 0.30 TCIR3
- 100,000+ pounds of food donated and 74,000+ meals packed during positiveNRG Week dedicated to combatting food insecurity
- 100 percent employee completion of unconscious bias training for the second year in a row
- Successful hybrid return-to-work program
- 64% Board of Director diversity, including 36% gender and 27% ethnic diversity
- 91% Board of Director independence
- Recognized as a Champion of Board Diversity by The Forum of Executive Women
- Published: 1st TCFD report, 5th report per SASB standards, and 12th CDP Climate questionnaire
The report follows the most widely accepted standards and frameworks, including those of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), continuing NRG’s commitment to transparent reporting practices.
At NRG, we’re bringing the power of energy to people and organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice, working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
1 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator
2 As of 12/31/2021
3 Total Case Incident Rate