DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Construction in Malaysia - Key Trends and Opportunities to 2025 (Q4 2021)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
The Malaysian construction industry is forecast to record real growth of 9.2% in 2021, following a contraction of 19.4% in 2020. This compares to the previous forecasts of 11.2% growth for this year.
The downward revision is primarily due to the implementation of a nationwide lockdown in June 2021, which affected construction activity. The construction industry's output is expected to be supported by the gradual economic recovery, a focus on completing large infrastructure projects and an increase of investment in industrial and energy projects.
According to the Department of Statistics Malaysia (DOSM), the Malaysian construction industry expanded by 40.3% year on year (YoY) in the second quarter of 2021, preceded by a Y-o-Y decline of 10.4% in the previous quarter, supported by growth in specialized construction activities and building construction, offsetting the weakness in civil engineering construction works. However, construction activities were completely suspended in June 2021, and in some areas in July 2021, with only critical construction permitted during the lockdown period, causing the construction industry to experience an 8.8% quarter-on-quarter (Q-o-Q) decline in Q2 2021.
The construction industry is expected to register an annual average growth rate of 6.8% between 2022 and 2025. Over the forecast period, growth will be driven by investment in transportation and energy projects. In September 2021, the government announced a plan to establish the Public Private Partnership (PPP) 3.0 model, as a specialized mechanism to fund infrastructure projects to stimulate economic growth in the 12th Malaysia plan between 2021-2025. In June 2021, the government unveiled its energy transition plans until 2040, aiming to increase the proportion of renewable energy in the total energy mix from 2% in 2019 to 31% by 2025, and 40% by 2035.
Over the forecast period, the industry's growth will also be supported by a recovery in economic conditions, coupled with investment in residential, industrial and water infrastructure projects. As part of the 12th Malaysia plan, the government announced its goal of developing 120 cities to achieve sustainable city status by 2025, by providing additional support to private sector projects implementing strategic development programmes. The government also intends to construct 500,000 affordable houses by 2025, as part of the 12th Malaysia Plan. In September 2021, the federal government approved the state government of Kelantan's MYR25.8 billion (US$6.4 billion) water infrastructure project, assisting Kelantan and other states in enhancing water supply coverage and efficiency.
The report provides detailed market analysis, information, and insights into Malaysia's construction industry, including -
- Malaysia's construction industry's growth prospects by market, project type and construction activity
- Critical insight into the impact of industry trends and issues, as well as an analysis of key risks and opportunities in Malaysia's construction industry
- Analysis of the mega-project pipeline, focusing on development stages and participants, in addition to listings of major projects in the pipeline.
This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the construction industry in Malaysia. It provides -
- Historical (2016-2020) and forecast (2021-2025) valuations of the construction industry in Malaysia, featuring details of key growth drivers.
- Segmentation by sector (commercial, industrial, infrastructure, energy and utilities, institutional and residential) and by sub-sector
- Analysis of the mega-project pipeline, including breakdowns by development stage across all sectors, and projected spending on projects in the existing pipeline.
- Listings of major projects, in addition to details of leading contractors and consultants
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/8zx1go
ResearchAndMarkets.com is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.