ST. PAUL, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The American Association of Woodturners (AAW), a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the art and craft of woodturning worldwide, will launch its first-ever three-day online “Virtual Symposium” July 10-12, 2020. Registration is open through July 3. The all-online event will feature live educational woodturning demonstrations, panel discussions, special interest sessions, live auctions, a gallery of woodturning work, a trade show, and more.
Woodturning is the art of using hand-held tools to shape wood into forms on a lathe, a machine that securely holds and spins wood at high speeds.
The Virtual Symposium is suitable for almost anyone, from experienced woodworkers to those just curious about the craft. The cost for all three days of programming is $20.20 (nonrefundable), which includes access to a replay of Virtual Symposium content for up to two weeks following the event. The schedule, session descriptions, registration, and more are available at http://tiny.cc/AAWVirtual.
- Beaded Salad Bowl with Glenn Lucas
- Thin-Stemmed Natural-Edge Goblet with Rudy Lopez
- Vessels and Surfaces with Trent Bosch
- 35 Years of Woodturning with Mike Mahoney
- Finial Box with Cindy Drozda
- Turning an Arch Bowl with Craig Timmerman
- Evolving a Body of Work: Inspiration and Iteration, featuring Curt Theobald, J. Paul Fennell, Michael Hosaluk, John Beaver, and Michael Peterson
- Virtual Instant Gallery Critique, featuring Suzanne Kahn, Kip Christensen, and Kirsten Muenster
- Turning for Profit and Marketing Through Social Media, featuring Kimberly Winkle, Mike Mahoney, Nick Cook, and Rebecca DeGroot
Special Interest Sessions
- Gizmos and Gadgets presented by Rob Wallace
- Best of Woodturning Tips showcases prerecorded tips by pros.
- Beth Ireland: A Journey in Woodturning, features Beth Ireland. Presented by AAW’s Women in Turning Committee (WIT).
There will be three online auctions open to the public. Proceeds support AAW’s grant, outreach, and educational programs. Bidders may register online and preview auction work at http://tiny.cc/AAWAuction.
AAW’s Executive Director Phil McDonald stated, “We’re excited to present an AAW Symposium in a format that makes it available to as many people as possible. The virtual format enables our members and others to enjoy an affordable learning experience from the comfort and safety of their own homes. It’s a perfect opportunity for people interested in woodturning to get a feel for the craft at a low cost.”
ABOUT THE AAW
The American Association of Woodturners (AAW) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, headquartered in Saint Paul, Minnesota, dedicated to advancing the art and craft of woodturning worldwide through education, inspiration, and community. Established in 1986, AAW has more than 16,000 members and a network of over 365 chapters globally representing professionals, amateurs, artists, hobbyists, collectors, and others. The AAW’s award-winning journal, American Woodturner, is the world’s foremost publication on the art and craft of woodturning. To learn more, visit https://www.woodturner.org