PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mlegal, a premier global legal search firm, announced today that going forward it will be known as Macrae. The firm’s complete rebrand to Macrae, which includes a new website and positioning, reflects its growth from a two-recruiter team in Northern California in 2001 to a powerhouse transatlantic boutique with a strong and growing footprint in four of the world’s most important legal markets: London, New York, Northern California, and Washington, D.C.
“Several years ago we set our sights on expansion beyond California. We envisioned assembling a dream team of recruiters at the top of their game who would collaborate seamlessly to deliver a far more sophisticated and expert service focused on law firm partner recruitment than anything else out there. I’m proud to say we’ve done it. We’re excited to enter our next phase as Macrae, with a new look and a unique business model for which we see growing demand,” said Founder and Chairman Joe Macrae, who launched the firm in Palo Alto after building a successful legal recruitment company in London.
Over the past several years Macrae has attracted some of the most highly regarded recruiters in the legal market, including Natasha Innocenti in Northern California, Melinda Wallman and Andy Russell in London, and Jane Roberts in Washington, D.C. The firm further bolstered its New York and D.C. presence with the recent additions of Robert Delicate and Lauren Drake, respectively.
“Macrae distinguishes itself from our peers by virtue of our boutique size, gender diversity and laser-focus on senior partner moves and government attorneys transitioning to private practice,” Innocenti observed. “However, it’s our philosophy of ‘collective intelligence’ that truly sets us apart and enables us to provide unparalleled service to our clients. The way we work together across offices is both extraordinary and refreshing, something I’d never before seen in my two-decade career before coming on board.”
Added Roberts, “We’ve invested significantly in creating a robust knowledge sharing system that captures the crucial information our clients care about. Every Macrae team member has this data at their fingertips 24-7, allowing us to convey to clients more real-time detail about the marketplace than any other firm.”
Current trends Macrae has identified as impacting the legal recruiting marketplace include:
- Since mid-March there has been a rise in strategic lateral recruiting activity as well as a notable increase in the movement of large practice groups between firms.
- In an era of restricted travel, serving clients’ needs requires a local presence and some firms will consequently set up shop for the first time in new cities.
- Partners – in particular those with large books of business – are increasingly re-evaluating where they are and where they want to be. This is due to Covid-19 exacerbating problems and/or creating new ones for some law firms, including financial weakness, the impact of leverage, practice concentrations, practices enhanced or passed over due to the virus or its impact, and the need for leadership to cope with rapid change.
- Zoom recruiting has proven easier than expected and has the added benefit of compressing the hiring process. Calls can be scheduled and completed with the entire management team of a law firm in one week, effectively replacing in-person meetings that sometimes took months to organize prior to Covid-19.
- “One size fits all” has never applied to law firms, but hiring strategies are more pronounced than ever. Some firms are now focusing on a few specific locations, others are snapping up exceptional talent wherever they find it, and placing “Covid-19 holds” on mid-sized deals has become commonplace.
Visit Macrae.com to learn more.
Founded in 2001, Macrae has grown from its San Francisco Bay Area origins to become an internationally recognized elite legal search practice representing many of the most successful and innovative law firms in the United States and Europe. The company has offices in London, New York, San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Washington, D.C. To learn more about Macrae, please visit Macrae.com.