Like many of you, we continue to be upset and outraged by the tragic and senseless losses of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and all victims of racism in the U.S. and around the world. We will never be able to fully understand how the families of these victims and the entire Black community are feeling right now, but we are reaffirming our commitment to use this moment as a catalyst for change.
While the recent headlines have been focused in the U.S., inequality of marginalized communities is a problem around the world – and has been that way throughout history. The immediate global response to act in solidarity with the Black community in America is like nothing we’ve ever seen.
At PVH, we condemn racial discrimination. We stand against the systemic racism that has plagued our country for too long. We stand in solidarity with the Black community.
Black lives matter. This shouldn’t be a controversial or divisive statement. It is a universal truth. And until it is treated that way, PVH will keep working.
Today, PVH is taking part in the National Day of Mourning, which coincides with the memorial services for George Floyd, who was killed last week in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We encourage all of you to take a pause today. Take time to think about how you can make a positive impact or contribution to achieve equality. Take time to process your feelings and emotions.
PVH North America associates from our retail stores, offices, and warehouses are also invited to observe 8 minutes and 46 seconds of silence today at 2 pm ET/ 1 pm CT during the George Floyd memorial services.
To our Black associates, we have heard from many of you and know you’re hurting deeply. We want you to know that we will try our best to listen, understand, and learn from each of your experiences – we stand with you. We are here for you, and your PVH family supports you.
We want to share the immediate actions we’re taking as a company, as early steps, knowing we don’t have all the answers right now and there is much more to come on this journey. This is just the beginning:
Starting today, we are committing to amplify the voices of our Black associates and the Black community. We want you to hear directly from our two chairs of our business resource group, BRAAVE (Building Resource for African American Voices and Empowerment):
“As a Black American, I feel obligated to not be silent, this is the time in which we, as a collective group need to stand together and speak out against any and all forms of racism against our Black community. This isn’t new territory for America, but it is an opportunity to act differently and make a change. This moment in American history can be a “real turning point" if we can channel our efforts into sustainable and effective action, and it starts with acknowledgement. I’m so proud to work for an organization that continues to do what’s right and lead by example through not just words, but by our actions, in fully supporting our Civil Rights and Social Justice Community leaders in observing a National Day of Mourning across America.” - Attallah Foucault, Senior Human Resources Director
- “This is an extremely painful time within the Black community across the country. We all have a responsibility in the fight against racial injustice and can no longer look the other way. The Power of PVH has always been our people. As an organization, we must create space and time to listen, learn, and be empathetic. I challenge each of us to have the difficult and uncomfortable conversations to ensure inclusion is not just something we speak about, but something we act on.” - Janelle Parker Lunnon, Director of Marketing
- “As a Black American, I feel obligated to not be silent, this is the time in which we, as a collective group need to stand together and speak out against any and all forms of racism against our Black community. This isn’t new territory for America, but it is an opportunity to act differently and make a change. This moment in American history can be a “real turning point" if we can channel our efforts into sustainable and effective action, and it starts with acknowledgement. I’m so proud to work for an organization that continues to do what’s right and lead by example through not just words, but by our actions, in fully supporting our Civil Rights and Social Justice Community leaders in observing a National Day of Mourning across America.” - Attallah Foucault, Senior Human Resources Director
- In partnership with BRAAVE, we have created a task force inclusive of our leadership, HR, Inclusion & Diversity, The PVH Foundation, Legal, and Corporate Responsibility teams, to ensure we’re taking the right steps to make the most impact.
The PVH Foundation is donating $100,000 each to:
- The NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, which supports racial justice through advocacy, impact litigation and education, and seeks to achieve structural changes to advance democracy, eliminate disparities and achieve racial justice.
The National Urban League, a historic civil rights organization dedicated to economic empowerment, equality, and social justice. The Urban League collaborates at the national and local levels to elevate standards of living for African Americans and other historically underserved groups.
Beginning Monday, throughout the month of June, The PVH Foundation will match 100% of North America corporate associate charitable donations. We encourage those of you who have supported or are planning to contribute to organizations supporting racial justice and equality to utilize our matching gift program. Retail and warehouse associates will also have the opportunity to donate towards this cause and receive a company match. We’ll share more information next week about how you can participate.
- We have compiled resources to help educate ourselves about racism and bias, and will be sharing these with you on Thread/Insider. This includes an Anti-Racism Resource Guide, Associate Check-in Guide, PVH U course offerings, videos, podcasts, and articles.
Our associates are our most important asset at PVH. Take this time to reach out to your PVH colleagues. Let’s show each other compassion, empathy, and respect. Ask a colleague how they’re doing, have honest conversations, educate yourself, and brainstorm with each other on ways to effect change. Now is the time to leverage the power of us.
If you have any ideas or recommendations, please share them with us. Now more than ever, your voice matters. We want it to be heard. We pledge that we will be transparent in reporting the progress we make.
As we work toward driving fashion forward for good, one of the best ways we can do this is to fight for racial equality – within the walls of our company, our industry, and our society.
Manny and Stefan
About PVH Corp.
PVH is one of the most admired fashion and lifestyle companies in the world. We power brands that drive fashion forward – for good. Our brand portfolio includes the iconic CALVIN KLEIN, TOMMY HILFIGER, Van Heusen, IZOD, ARROW, Warner’s, Olga and Geoffrey Beene brands, as well as the digital-centric True&Co. intimates brand. We market a variety of goods under these and other nationally and internationally known owned and licensed brands. PVH has over 40,000 associates operating in over 40 countries and $9.9 billion in annual revenues. That's the Power of Us. That’s the Power of PVH.