RALEIGH, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Red Hat, Inc., the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced an expansion of its application services portfolio with the addition of Quarkus as a fully supported framework in Red Hat Runtimes. With Quarkus, Red Hat is advancing Java on Kubernetes and bridging the gap between traditional Java applications and cloud-native environments.
Java was introduced 25 years ago and to this day, remains one of the most popular programming languages among developers. By adding Quarkus as a supported runtime, Red Hat is helping to bring Java into the modern, cloud-native application development landscape and to approaches like microservices, containers and serverless that are enabling organizations to push the envelope on productivity, efficiency, agility and scale, and enabling Java developers to continue working in the language they know and love. With Quarkus, users are getting a fully Red Hat supported technology, which includes an active community, continuous updates, and a fast release cadence.
As a full-stack, Kubernetes-native Java framework that has been optimized for memory density and rapid startup time, Quarkus enables organizations to advance existing application environments and extend years of investment in Java for mission-critical systems. The open source project has been crafted from a selection of leading Java technologies and standards, and offers developers an adaptable development model that is designed to combine both imperative and reactive styles in a seamless, unified user experience.
Quarkus helps to:
- Increase developer productivity: Quarkus works out of the box with popular Java standards, frameworks, and libraries, alleviating the need to learn new APIs or switch to another programming language altogether. It also provides a number of features such as live coding and unified configuration for faster iteration during development, where code changes are automatically and immediately reflected in the running app.
- Increase operational efficiency: Quarkus is tailored for a modern, Kubernetes-native development stack, enabling organizations to deliver business solutions faster and in a more streamlined manner, maintain a competitive edge and speed up the overall time to market.
- Increase cost savings: Quarkus has a low memory consumption and a fast startup time. This translates into better resource utilization and end user experience, with new applications and services instantly available. This efficiency leads to a high density of workloads per CPU, also translating to increased cost savings.
- Increase reliability: Quarkus applications are elastic, scalable, and able to meet changing demand, translating to a more reliable system.
Red Hat has long been a leader in the Java community, and remains committed to moving Java forward through open, community-driven innovation. Today, Red Hat furthers this commitment with the addition of Quarkus to the fully supported Red Hat Runtimes. Red Hat Runtimes provides best-in-class integrated products, migration tools, and components to create cloud-native applications while also speeding up development and delivery time. Red Hat Runtimes offers developers and architects the choice of the right tool for the right task, through a collection of lightweight runtimes and frameworks for highly-distributed cloud architectures, like microservices, with in-memory caching for fast data access, and messaging for quick data transfer between existing applications.
Quarkus includes an extension library that incorporates a vibrant ecosystem of more than 200 extensions standards, libraries, services, and technologies. The library includes a number of cloud-native frameworks and tools such as RESTEasy, Hibernate, Eclipse MicroProfile, and more. It also includes extensions for several Red Hat cloud services such as Red Hat AMQ Streams, Red Hat AMQ Broker, Red Hat Fuse, and business automation.
Quarkus as a supported Red Hat Runtime is now generally available.
Rich Sharples, senior director of Cloud Services, Red Hat
“Red Hat has long been a key driver in the Java movement, and we are proud of our contributions to the community. Bringing Java into the modern, cloud-native application landscape that we are in today is crucial for not just the future of the programming language, but for the future of the thousands of businesses that rely on Java. With our Kubernetes-native Java offering of Quarkus, we are allowing Java developers to work within the language they know and love, while offering the ability for Java to scale in business-critical environments.”
Christos Sotiriou, DXL technical lead, Vodafone Greece
“Quarkus has given us the performance and productivity boost we needed. It is an innovative technology that has a credible backer with Red Hat, and we trust it because it includes battle-tested as well as leading edge technologies. We selected Quarkus over competing technologies because of the vast developer benefits, much lower resource consumption, number of trusted community members and the quick turn around of bug fixes and new features. Our team is now working on developing 20 microservices in the next three months, something that otherwise would have been an impossible task.”
Arnal Dayaratna, research director, Software Development, IDC
“With Quarkus, Red Hat continues its long tradition of leadership in the Java community. Quarkus delivers a bevy of benefits for Java applications such as faster start-up time, reduced memory consumption, optimization for serverless infrastructures and enhanced developer productivity. As a result, Java developers can write and develop in the language they know and love while taking advantage of the ability of Quarkus to bring cost, operational and productivity benefits to cloud native and Kubernetes-based development."
- Check out the recent blog: Red Hat drives future of Java with cloud-native, container-first Quarkus
- Get involved at Quarkus.io
- Learn how to get started with Quarkus
- Get involved with the Quarkus GitHub project
- Read more: Why choose the Red Hat build of Quarkus?
Connect with Red Hat
- Learn more about Red Hat
- Get more news in the Red Hat newsroom
- Read the Red Hat blog
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter
- Join Red Hat on Facebook
- Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
- Follow Red Hat on LinkedIn
About Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of enterprise open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to deliver reliable and high-performing Linux, hybrid cloud, container, and Kubernetes technologies. Red Hat helps customers integrate new and existing IT applications, develop cloud-native applications, standardize on our industry-leading operating system, and automate, secure, and manage complex environments. Award-winning support, training, and consulting services make Red Hat a trusted adviser to the Fortune 500. As a strategic partner to cloud providers, system integrators, application vendors, customers, and open source communities, Red Hat can help organizations prepare for the digital future.
Red Hat and the Red Hat logo, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.