GREENSBORO, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Although schools are closed, teachers in more than two dozen classrooms in North Carolina and California have received new learning tools they requested through the nonprofit DonorsChoose, funded in part by Arch Mortgage Insurance Company (Arch MI).
As part of its charitable giving mission, Arch MI donated $17,000 this spring to fulfill teachers’ requests posted on the national DonorsChoose.org website. Following Arch MI’s first major donation through DonorsChoose last year, this second donation funds another 25 projects requested by teachers in underfunded urban and rural public schools. The schools are near Arch MI’s headquarters in Greensboro, North Carolina; and company offices in Raleigh, North Carolina; and Walnut Creek, California.
The projects funded in April will help teachers expand horizons across school campuses, covering needs in all aspects of student life — from academic subjects to music, art, gym and playground activities.
Many of the teachers receiving DonorsChoose grants sent messages thanking Arch MI for the contributions:
- “A huge thank you goes out to everyone that helped fund my project fully,” said Mrs. Carter, a teacher at a rural middle school with 975 students near Greensboro. She requested basic classroom supplies including pencils, paper, notebooks and binders. “Supplies will be given to needy students when we do return to school. We are helping to get students back to some sense of normalcy once schools reopen.”
- Mrs. Graves, a third-grade teacher in Walnut Creek, originally had only 11 Chromebooks™ to share among 25 students, but now has enough for all. “During this unique and trying time, I can't tell you how much it touches my heart that people are still committed to helping students in the classroom. Once we are back in the classroom, students will use the Chromebooks in all subject areas. Thank you again for supporting my amazing students!”
- “Music has always been a large part of African and African-American culture and traditions,” wrote Ms. Cannon, who received musical instruments, including a playmat piano, a ukulele, drums and wristband jingle bells to set up a music center in her pre-K classroom in Greensboro. “Music is uplifting, it’s encouraging, it’s strengthening. This is what I want for my students. Thank you for your help.”
- “I am a healthful living and physical education teacher for the most wonderful ROCK STARS a teacher can ask for. They come to school each day, letting go of outside home/life obstacles, eager to better themselves for a better, brighter, healthy future,” wrote Mrs. Williford, a teacher of sixth through eighth graders in Raleigh, who received PE equipment, including enough lacrosse sticks, badminton sets, basketballs and street hockey sticks for 40 kids. “We are so excited to get these new items. They will replace old and broken pieces of equipment. Our students appreciate all of you who help donate to our classrooms. Without you, our classrooms would not be as great.”
- “From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU! These are difficult days for educators. You just made my day brighter because of your generosity. Next year’s students will LOVE all the new books!” wrote Mrs. Elliott, a fourth-grade teacher in Walnut Creek, who received more than 50 fiction, history, science and related reference books for her classroom library.
“We are honored to continue our support for teachers through DonorsChoose, which makes it easy to help meet pressing needs in our local communities,” said Jim Jumpe, Arch MI’s Chief Marketing Officer. “Our teachers have worked under stressful conditions caused by COVID-19. It’s gratifying for our company and our employees to provide these essential resources to align with classroom needs in a changed world.”
Arch MI is an active supporter of education and nonprofit organizations focused on housing. The company’s commitment includes granting employees paid time off to volunteer for community service and matching employees’ gifts to eligible charities.
About Arch Mortgage Insurance Company
Arch Capital Group Ltd.’s U.S. mortgage insurance operation, Arch MI, is a leading provider of private insurance covering mortgage credit risk. Headquartered in Greensboro, North Carolina, Arch MI's mission is to protect lenders against credit risk, while extending the possibility of responsible home ownership to qualified borrowers. Arch MI’s flagship mortgage insurer, Arch Mortgage Insurance Company, is licensed to write mortgage insurance in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. For more information, please visit archmi.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements
The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 provides a "safe harbor" for forward-looking statements. This release or any other written or oral statements made by or on behalf of Arch Capital Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries may include forward-looking statements, which reflect our current views with respect to future events and financial performance. All statements other than statements of historical fact included in or incorporated by reference in this release are forward-looking statements.
Forward-looking statements can generally be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as "may," "will," "expect," "intend," "estimate," "anticipate," "believe" or "continue" or their negative or variations or similar terminology. Forward-looking statements involve our current assessment of risks and uncertainties. Actual events and results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in these statements. A non-exclusive list of the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements includes the following: adverse general economic and market conditions; increased competition; pricing and policy term trends; fluctuations in the actions of rating agencies and our ability to maintain and improve our ratings; investment performance; the loss of key personnel; the adequacy of our loss reserves, severity and/or frequency of losses, greater than expected loss ratios and adverse development on claim and/or claim expense liabilities; greater frequency or severity of unpredictable natural and man-made catastrophic events, including pandemics such as COVID-19; the impact of acts of terrorism and acts of war; changes in regulations and/or tax laws in the United States or elsewhere; our ability to successfully integrate, establish and maintain operating procedures as well as integrate the businesses we have acquired or may acquire into the existing operations; changes in accounting principles or policies; material differences between actual and expected assessments for guaranty funds and mandatory pooling arrangements; availability and cost to us of reinsurance to manage our gross and net exposures; the failure of others to meet their obligations to us; and other factors identified in our filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The foregoing review of important factors should not be construed as exhaustive and should be read in conjunction with other cautionary statements that are included herein or elsewhere. All subsequent written and oral forward-looking statements attributable to us or persons acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by these cautionary statements. We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
© 2020 Arch Mortgage Insurance Company. All Rights Reserved. Arch MI is a marketing term for Arch Mortgage Insurance Company and United Guaranty Residential Insurance Company. Chromebook is a service mark of Google LLC. All rights reserved.