MINNETONKA, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is taking additional action to directly support people affected by the COVID-19 pandemic by providing over $1.5 billion of additional support for its customers. These measures build upon the company’s ongoing efforts to address COVID-19 challenges by expanding coverage, supporting the health care system, protecting the health care work force and assisting those most affected by the pandemic.
Over the last several months, the emergence of the COVID-19 virus has caused well-documented challenges to people, businesses and institutions and across national and global health care systems. Among them is the disruption to traditional patterns of care and related downstream economic disruption and imbalances to the nation’s health care delivery and coverage systems.
Last month, the company committed to move quickly to respond to these challenges until more normal patterns of care, coverage and health system stability are restored.
“Our mission and core values of integrity, compassion, relationships, innovation and performance guide our response to the challenges offered by this complex situation,” said David S. Wichmann, chief executive officer of UnitedHealth Group. “Our actions today are a continuation of our commitment to act swiftly to support the people, and customers we are privileged to serve and those working courageously on the front line of this pandemic.”
Among the actions being undertaken today to provide immediate assistance, the vast majority of which are not mandated under minimum medical loss ratio requirements:
- For people served by UnitedHealthcare commercial fully insured benefits, credits ranging from 5% to 20% depending upon the specific plan will be applied to premium billings received by customers in June.
- For people served by UnitedHealthcare under Medicare Advantage plans, all specialist and primary care physician cost sharing will be waived at least through the end of September.
- For people served by UnitedHealthcare AARP Medicare Supplement policies, we will provide both new and renewal premium price stability and support.
- For people served by UnitedHealthcare Medicaid plans, the company is accelerating funds to state partners and critical care providers to serve more people and expanding its Housing+Health and homeless support programs, providing shelf stable food and baby formula.
Today’s actions build on UnitedHealth Group’s ongoing efforts to respond to COVID-19 by using its clinical, analytics and technological expertise. Other actions include:
- Waiving all cost-sharing for COVID-19 diagnosis and treatment while simplifying access to care by reducing prior authorization requirements.
- Accelerating nearly $2 billion of our own funds to health care providers to support liquidity needs in early April and assisting in the $100 billion CARES Act funds distribution for care delivery partners.
- Pioneering a non-invasive, self-administered COVID-19 test that streamlines testing, reduces PPE usage and increases safety of health care workers.
- Dedicating senior executives to support major scientific discovery and relief efforts.
- Designing and deploying a new protocol, process and supportive technology to help keep the nation’s health workforce safe and to support employers return their employees safely to work.
- Providing a special enrollment period for fully insured customers to allow employees to get coverage.
- Significantly expanding access to telehealth and redeploying 10,000 Optum clinicians to expand telehealth capacities.
- Launching a free nationwide emotional support line to manage the stress and anxiety.
- Investing $75 million to help communities in need, protect the health care workforce and help people and clinicians cope with stress and anxiety from the pandemic and related economic challenges.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is a diversified health care company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and helping to make the health system work better for everyone. UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two distinct platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. For more information, visit UnitedHealth Group at www.unitedhealthgroup.com or follow @UnitedHealthGrp on Twitter.