LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--KB Home (NYSE: KBH) today, in recognition of the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, has released its 13th Annual Sustainability Report, detailing its environmental, social responsibility and economic sustainability accomplishments in 2019, and highlighting nearly 20 years of energy-efficient homebuilding and sustainability leadership. In addition to emphasizing the homebuilder’s longtime commitment to energy efficiency and water conservation, the report underscores the essential role our homes can serve in improving people’s health and well-being now and in the future. The report also includes extensive information on KB Home’s ESG practices and references Global Reporting Initiative™(GRI) guidelines and standards.
The national homebuilder’s 2019 sustainability milestones include:
- Building its unprecedented 140,000th high-performance ENERGY STAR® certified new home, more than any other homebuilder. These homes are designed to save energy and support healthier indoor air environments.
- Debuting KB ProjeKt®: Where Tomorrow Lives™, a health-oriented, full-scale experience of the future of homebuilding designed to support its residents’ physical and emotional health
- Partnering with a pioneering technology firm to offer at select communities an industry-first wellness intelligence system that uses proprietary software and sensor technologies to enhance safety, comfort, indoor air environments, quality of sleep and overall well-being and is certified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Indoor airPLUS program for indoor air quality
- Selling its 10,000th solar-powered home, with 17% of its homes now incorporating solar (up from 14% in 2018)
- Receiving EPA’s ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award for an unprecedented nine years in a row (with its tenth award recently announced), as well as the EPA’s WaterSense® Sustained Excellence Award for the fourth consecutive year (following four Partner of the Year awards)
“During this uncertain time, our homes have taken on even greater significance in our lives,” said Jeffrey Mezger, KB Home Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our homes have become our workplaces, our schools and our centers of health and well-being. While it is difficult to foresee how this situation will evolve, one thing remains certain: in every economic and social environment, people will continue to seek a sanctuary from life’s cares, to rejuvenate and recharge, and to nurture their talents, relationships and spirits in a place called home. Throughout the more than six decades KB Home has been in business, our primary purpose has been to build the places where our customers can fulfill the fundamental human need for both shelter and connection. People are our foundation.”
KB Home’s nearly two decades of sustainable homebuilding have made a measurable impact on the environment and its homeowners’ lives:
- Reduced homeowners’ utility bills by an estimated total of $780 million ($1,300 average annual savings per home in 2019)
- Eliminated CO2 emissions by an estimated 5 billion pounds (equivalent to removing nearly 500,000 cars from the road)
- Generated an estimated 428 million kilowatt hours of renewable solar energy (equivalent to removing 64,000 cars from the road)
- Conserved an estimated 1.5 billion gallons of water annually (enough to serve the water needs of nearly 17 million Americans for a day)
For more information on KB Home, call 888-KB-HOMES or visit kbhome.com.
For more information on KB Home’s sustainability and ESG initiatives, and to view the full report, visit kbhome.com/sustainability.
About KB Home
KB Home (NYSE: KBH) is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilders in the United States and has been building quality homes for over 60 years. Today, KB Home operates in 42 markets across eight states, serving a wide array of buyer groups. What sets us apart is how we give our customers the ability to personalize their homes from homesites and floor plans to cabinets and countertops, at a price that fits their budget. We are the first builder to make every home we build ENERGY STAR® certified. In fact, we go beyond the EPA requirements by ensuring every ENERGY STAR certified KB home has been tested and verified by a third-party inspector to meet the EPA’s strict certification standards, which helps lower the cost of ownership. We also work with our customers every step of the way, building strong personal relationships so they have a real partner in the homebuying process, and the experience is as simple and easy as possible. Learn more about how we build homes built on relationships by visiting kbhome.com.