PLANTATION, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March is National Nutrition Month®, an excellent time for seniors to evaluate their food choices and dental health. DentalPlans.com, a leading online marketplace for dental savings plans in the U.S., is addressing how seniors can eat right to maintain their oral and overall health.
For a healthy smile and a healthy body as you age, consider making these food choices:
- Older adults need more calcium and vitamin D to help keep teeth and bones healthy. Consume three servings of fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt or cheese each day. If you are lactose intolerant, try lactose-free milk or calcium-fortified soy beverages.
- Many older adults need fewer calories than they did in younger years. Prioritize nutrient-dense foods like lean proteins, vegetables and legumes when making meal choices. To avoid serving oversized portions, try using smaller plates, bowls and glasses.
- Drink water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages. Staying hydrated is an important way to combat a dry mouth, which can be caused by medications commonly taken by seniors, and is associated with dental decay.
- Phosphorus, found in eggs, fish, lean meat, dairy, nuts and beans is good for strong teeth and bones.
- Vitamin C promotes gum health, so eat plenty of citrus fruits, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, potatoes and spinach. But rinse your mouth gently with water after eating citrus and wait an hour before brushing as acid foods and beverages temporarily softens dental enamel.
“Eating healthy contributes to great dental health, but it’s still critical to see your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings,” said Jenn Stoll, Chief Commercial Officer at DentalPlans.com. “And if you experience any pain or difficulties when eating, speak to your dentist right away so you can get the care you need and deserve, in order to eat a well-rounded, nutritious diet.”
If your budget doesn’t allow for regular dental care, or restorative treatments such as root canals, crowns, dentures and dental implants, consider joining a dental savings plan. These plans offer discounts of 10-60% on most dental procedures.
DentalPlans.com, founded in 1999, is a leading dental and health savings online marketplace in the U.S., helping more than a million people to affordably access quality healthcare services. Our mission is to empower consumers with the tools, information, and services that they need to live happier, healthier lives. www.dentalplans.com.