PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--goPuff, the digital convenience retailer sweeping the nation, released its third annual Brand Bowl Report, detailing how consumers reacted to some of our favorite brands’ commercials and what fans ordered most during the game.
Commercials At Work
goPuff tracked nationwide customer orders for products advertised during the Big Game. Here’s how those ads impacted immediate sales in the minutes after the commercials aired. Percent changes based on orders one-hour before compared to orders in the hour after the commercial aired.
Brand Bowl Winners
- Pop-Tarts: This brand had an impressive 47% increase in orders in the hour following the brand’s commercial.
- Mountain Dew: Mountain Dew orders increased 17% in the hour after the brand’s ad aired.
- Pringles: Back in 2019, Pringles orders increased 23% after the ad aired. This year, the company’s ad was even more effective, driving a 60% increase in orders for Pringles products on goPuff immediately following the ad.
- Secret Deodorant: Though not a traditional Big Game snack or party item, orders for Secret Deodorant increased 300% after the ad aired.
- Planters: Orders for Planters’ products increased 42% in the hour during which the brands’ ad aired. Also of note: after Mr. Peanut’s ‘death’ on Jan. 22, 2020, Planters’ orders hit a one-year high on goPuff.
- Cheetos: Orders increased 23% for Cheetos products following the commercial.
- Snickers: Snickers orders increased 18% following the airing of its Big Game commercial.
- Tide: With ads airing throughout the night, there was a 75% uptick in Tide orders at 7:00 p.m. just after the first Tide commercial aired. After that, orders for Tide products remained steady through the end of the game.
Brand Bowl Losers
- Doritos and Pepsi: Orders for these game time favorites peaked early, but despite the brands’ ads, orders decreased slightly every hour after 8:00 p.m. as gatherings wound down. Doritos orders decreased 24% after its ad aired, Pepsi orders decreased 2% after its commercial and Coke orders decreased 15%.
- Bud Light, Bud Light Seltzer and Michelob: As a category, goPuff saw orders for alcohol products peak earlier in the day - around noon Eastern - as customers geared up for their viewing parties later that night. Orders for most alcohol brands were high during the first hour of the game, but ads throughout the game did not seem to immediately impact orders on goPuff.
What Fans Ordered
Historically, Americans eat - a LOT - during the Big Game. Customers’ favorite game day munchies included:
- Snacks: Gushers Flavor Mixer, Tostitos Salsa con Queso (Medium), Flamin’ Hot Cheetos*, Haribo Gummi Bears, Tostitos Chunky Salsa (Medium)
- Alcohol: White Claw Seltzer, Natural Light, Corona Extra, Bud Light Lime, Bud Light Seltzer*
- Drinks: Gatorade, Sprite, Pepsi*, Coca-Cola*, Mountain Dew*
Beyond food and drinks, though, customer orders show fans were in need of party and clean-up supplies along with some medicine to make their Monday morning a bit smoother:
- Home Essentials: Red Party Cups, Charmin Toilet Paper, Scott Toilet Paper, Repurpose Compostables Plates, Puffs Ultra Soft & Strong Tissues
- OTC Medicine: Morning Recovery Hangover Drink, Tums Antacid Extra Strength Fruit Chewable Tablets
goPuff stocks more than 2,500 products in centrally located facilities in each of the 150+ locations that it serves to bring products directly to the customer in the moments they need them most. From household essentials like cleaning products, diapers and even pet goods to game time essentials, including ice cream, candy and beverages, the unique delivery concept answers the call for customers 24/7 in many markets (and until 4:30 a.m. in others).
* Brand or product advertised during the Big Game.
goPuff is a digital convenience retailer replacing the need for convenience stores. Through centrally located facilities, the company delivers thousands of products quickly for a flat $1.95 delivery charge. As the fastest-growing, most affordable delivery service on the market, goPuff operates from 12:00 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. and 24/7 in some areas to bring you what you need, when you need it. goPuff also offers beer, wine and liquor in select locations. Headquartered in Philadelphia, goPuff currently operates in over 150 U.S. locations, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., and many more. To learn more, visit gopuff.com or check us out on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.