PEAPACK, N.J. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Greenstone, Upjohn’s U.S.-based generics business and a wholly owned subsidiary of Pfizer Inc., and Roman, an innovative digital healthcare clinic for men, today announced a supply agreement to offer Roman members access to the only FDA-approved authorized generic version of Viagra (sildenafil citrate). A division of the direct-to-patient telehealth company Ro, Roman provides patients access to a nationwide digital doctor’s office and online pharmacy for certain men’s health conditions through an integrated platform to enhance the convenience and quality of healthcare delivery. Greenstone has been a leader in authorized generics for more than 25 years and manufactures sildenafil citrate, a prescription medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED). The exclusive supply agreement with Roman represents Greenstone’s first collaboration with a direct-to-patient telehealth company.
ED affects approximately 30 million men in the U.S., and Viagra is one of the most counterfeited drugs in the world. The collaboration between Roman and Greenstone, built on Pfizer’s quality manufacturing standards, ensures patients have confidence in the quality and consistency of the generic sildenafil citrate they are prescribed and receive as part of their Roman treatment plan.
Under the agreement, Roman’s generic sildenafil citrate offering will be sourced exclusively from Greenstone and manufactured in the same European facilities as branded Viagra - at no additional cost to members.
“Greenstone and Ro have a shared commitment to improve health outcomes for chronic conditions by making treatments accessible and convenient. We are pleased to enter into this supply agreement with Roman to provide men with streamlined access to quality sildenafil citrate backed by the quality manufacturing, distribution and support of Pfizer,” said Brendan O’Leary, General Manager of Greenstone. “This initiative reflects the growing trend of consumerism in healthcare and our vision for authorized generics to advance public health and patient adherence by improving access to high-quality, affordable medicines.”
“At Ro, we believe patients deserve to know everything about their healthcare-including where their medication is sourced,” said Zachariah Reitano, co-founder and CEO of Ro. “Through our exclusive agreement with Greenstone, Roman members can be certain they are receiving quality medication directly from Pfizer, the maker of Viagra. We are committed to building more partnerships that bring transparency to what patients put in their bodies, who made it and where it came from.”
Telemedicine: A Growing Trend
Digital Healthcare, including telemedicine, is a rapidly growing approach to healthcare designed to empower consumers to make better-informed decisions about their own health and provide new options for remote care. The growth in the digital health industry is due to several demographic and economic factors, including an aging population and a shortage in primary care physicians in the U.S. Ro’s technology enables physicians to provide high quality care from diagnosis to the delivery of medication all on one platform. All of the physicians on the Ro platform are licensed in the U.S. and undergo an extensive background check and license verification process.
Ro is a complement, not a replacement, to a patient’s overall care. Ro can keep a patient’s in-person provider updated on their treatment plan at the patient’s request to ensure continuity of care.
About Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
ED affects about 30 million men in the U.S. ED is a medical condition often caused by an underlying condition such as heart disease, diabetes or depression. However, studies show men are 24% less likely than women to go to a doctor over a one-year period and that only 25% of men who experience ED get treated.
About Authorized Generic of Sildenafil Citrate
The sildenafil citrate authorized generic is equivalent to the VIAGRA brand. See the Full Prescribing Information for Greenstone’s sildenafil citrate tablets at http://www.greenstonellc.com/product-list.aspx.
Ro is a patient-driven healthcare company that puts you in control of your health. We’re patients, just like you, building technology to make healthcare accessible, affordable, and maybe even enjoyable. Today, we enable you to connect with a doctor and get treatment when and where you need it. Tomorrow, we aspire to be your first call for all your healthcare needs. Ro’s nationwide physician and pharmacy networks power three digital health clinics — Roman, Rory and Zero — providing a personalized end to end telehealth experience from diagnosis to delivery.
GREENSTONE is part of the Upjohn business and a wholly owned subsidiary of Pfizer Inc., offering a leading portfolio of Authorized Generics. GREENSTONE is one of the longest running distributors of Authorized Generics in the U.S. across a broad range of therapeutic areas. GREENSTONE is committed to quality, value and excellence in everything we do, and dedicated to the goal of helping patients live healthier lives. GREENSTONE Authorized Generics are manufactured to the same standards and at the same facilities as Pfizer brand-name drugs. Patients can visit GreenstoneGenerics.com or call the GREENSTONE Pharmacy Locator Service at 1-855-222-8588 to find Authorized Generics at their nearest pharmacy.
For more information about Greenstone LLC and its products, visit http://greenstonellc.com.
Pfizer Inc.: Breakthroughs That Change Patients’ Lives
At Pfizer, we apply science and our global resources to bring therapies to people that extend and significantly improve their lives. We strive to set the standard for quality, safety and value in the discovery, development and manufacture of health care products, including innovative medicines and vaccines. Every day, Pfizer colleagues work across developed and emerging markets to advance wellness, prevention, treatments and cures that challenge the most feared diseases of our time. Consistent with our responsibility as one of the world's premier innovative biopharmaceutical companies, we collaborate with health care providers, governments and local communities to support and expand access to reliable, affordable health care around the world. For more than 150 years, we have worked to make a difference for all who rely on us. We routinely post information that may be important to investors on our website at www.Pfizer.com. In addition, to learn more, please visit us on www.Pfizer.com and follow us on Twitter at @Pfizer and @Pfizer News, LinkedIn, YouTube and like us on Facebook at Facebook.com/Pfizer.
Important Safety Information:
Sildenafil citrate is a prescription medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction(ED).
Do not take sildenafil citrate if you:
- take any medicines called nitrates, often prescribed for chest pain, or guanylate cyclase stimulators like Adempas (riociguat) for pulmonary hypertension. Your blood pressure could drop to an unsafe level
- are allergic to sildenafil, as contained in VIAGRA and REVATIO, or any of the ingredients in sildenafil citrate.
Discuss your health with your doctor to ensure that you are healthy enough for sex. If you experience chest pain, dizziness, or nausea during sex, seek immediate medical help.
Sildenafil citrate can cause serious side effects. Rarely reported side effects include:
- an erection that will not go away (priapism). If you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, get medical help right away. If it is not treated right away, priapism can permanently damage your penis
- sudden vision loss in one or both eyes. Sudden vision loss in one or both eyes can be a sign of a serious eye problem called non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION). Stop taking Sildenafil citrate and call your healthcare provider right away if you have any sudden vision loss
- sudden hearing decrease or hearing loss. Some people may also have ringing in their ears (tinnitus) or dizziness. If you have these symptoms, stop taking sildenafil citrate and contact a doctor right away
Before you take sildenafil citrate, tell your healthcare provider if you:
- have or have had heart problems such as a heart attack, irregular heartbeat, angina, chest pain, narrowing of the aortic valve, or heart failure
- have had heart surgery within the last 6 months
- have pulmonary hypertension
- have had a stroke
- have low blood pressure, or high blood pressure that is not controlled
- have a deformed penis shape
- have had an erection that lasted for more than 4 hours
- have problems with your blood cells such as sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, or leukemia
- have retinitis pigmentosa, a rare genetic (runs in families) eye disease
- have ever had severe vision loss, including an eye problem called NAION
- have bleeding problems
- have or have had stomach ulcers
- have liver problems
- have kidney problems or having kidney dialysis
- have any other medical conditions
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Sildenafil citrate may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect the way sildenafil citrate works, causing side effects.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take any of the following:
- medicines called nitrates
- medicines called guanylate cyclase stimulators such as Adempas (riociguat)
- medicines called alpha-blockers, such as Hytrin (terazosin HCl), Flomax (tamsulosin HCl), Cardura (doxazosin mesylate), Minipress (prazosin HCl), Uroxatral (alfuzosin HCl), Jalyn (dutasteride and tamsulosin HCl), or Rapaflo (silodosin). Alpha-blockers are sometimes prescribed for prostate problems or high blood pressure. In some patients, the use of with alpha-blockers can lead to a drop in blood pressure or to fainting
- medicines called HIV protease inhibitors, such as ritonavir (Norvir), indinavir sulfate (Crixivan), saquinavir (Fortovase or Invirase), or atazanavir sulfate (Reyataz)
- some types of oral antifungal medicines, such as ketoconazole (Nizoral) and itraconazole (Sporanox)
- some types of antibiotics, such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), telithromycin (Ketek), or erythromycin
- other medicines that treat high blood pressure
- other medicines or treatments for ED
- Sildenafil citrate is the same medicine found in another drug called REVATIO. REVATIO is used to treat a rare disease called pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). Sildenafil citrate should not be used with REVATIO or with other PAH treatments containing sildenafil or any other PDE5 inhibitors (such as Adcirca [tadalafil])
Sildenafil citrate does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV.
The most common side effects of sildenafil citrate: headache; flushing; upset stomach; abnormal vision, such as changes in color vision (such as having a blue color tinge) and blurred vision; stuffy or runny nose; back pain; muscle pain; nausea; dizziness; rash.
PFIZER DISCLOSURE NOTICE: The information contained in this release is as of January 23, 2020. Pfizer assumes no obligation to update forward-looking statements contained in this release as the result of new information or future events or developments.
This release contains forward-looking information about Greenstone’s exclusive supply agreement with Roman, a division of Ro, to offer Roman members access to the FDA-approved authorized generic version of Viagra (sildenafil citrate) and Greenstone’s Sildenafil Citrate authorized generic, including their potential benefits, that involves substantial risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Risks and uncertainties include, among other things, uncertainties regarding the potential benefits of the supply agreement; whether the Sildenafil Citrate authorized generic will be commercially successful; decisions by regulatory authorities impacting labeling, manufacturing processes, safety and/or other matters that could affect the availability or commercial potential of Sildenafil Citrate; other business effects, including the effects of industry, market, economic, political or regulatory conditions; and competitive developments.
A further description of risks and uncertainties can be found in Pfizer’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2018 and in its subsequent reports on Form 10-Q, including in the sections thereof captioned “Risk Factors” and “Forward-Looking Information and Factors That May Affect Future Results,” as well as in its subsequent reports on Form 8-K, all of which are filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and available at www.sec.gov and www.pfizer.com.