OLDWICK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AM Best has affirmed the Financial Strength Rating (FSR) of A+ (Superior) and the Long-Term Issuer Credit Ratings (Long-Term ICR) of “aa” for members of The Progressive Corporation (Progressive) (Mayfield Village, OH). Additionally, AM Best has affirmed the Long-Term ICR of “a” and all Long-Term Issue Credit Ratings (Long-Term IR) of all senior issuances and the preferred stock issuance of the parent holding company, Progressive. Also, AM Best has affirmed the FSR of A (Excellent) and the Long-Term ICR of “a+” of National Continental Insurance Company (National Continental) (Bohemia, NY). The outlook of these Credit Ratings (ratings) is stable. (See below for a detailed listing of the companies and ratings.)
AM Best has assigned the FSR of A+ (Superior) and the Long-Term ICR of “aa” to Blue Hill Specialty Insurance Company Inc. (Blue Hill) (Chicago, IL) which is now part of Progressive (see detailed list below). The outlook assigned to this rating is stable.
The ratings of Progressive reflect its balance sheet strength, which AM Best categorizes as strongest, as well as its strong operating performance, very favorable business profile and appropriate enterprise risk management (ERM).
Progressive’s risk-adjusted capitalization has benefited from consistently favorable underwriting results and high levels of investment income, as well as sizable realized and unrealized capital gains. Progressive continues to benefit from a seasoned and stable management team, brand name recognition, multiple channel distribution platform, and innovative underwriting and claims-handling technology. In addition, Progressive continues to experience strong premium growth, reflective of its widespread brand recognition. Progressive’s auto results have outperformed competitors in recent years despite the impacts of frequency and severity throughout the automobile insurance industry, due mainly to its sophisticated data mining and pricing techniques. These positive rating factors are offset partially by Progressive’s high underwriting leverage relative to industry averages. However, Progressive has operated historically with elevated underwriting leverage, while consistently generating favorable underwriting results with very low levels of volatility.
The ratings of National Continental reflect the company’s balance sheet strength, which AM Best categorizes as very strong, as well as its strong operating performance, limited business profile and appropriate ERM. Additionally, the ratings recognize the financial strength, infrastructure and technological capabilities afforded as a subsidiary of Progressive.
The FSR of A+ (Superior) and the Long-Term ICRs of “aa” have been affirmed with stable outlooks for the following members of The Progressive Corporation, which now includes the newly assigned company, Blue Hill:
- Progressive Casualty Insurance Company
- Progressive Northern Insurance Company
- Progressive Northwestern Insurance Company
- Progressive Specialty Insurance Company
- Progressive Preferred Insurance Company
- Progressive Classic Insurance Company
- Progressive American Insurance Company
- Progressive Gulf Insurance Company
- Progressive Bayside Insurance Company
- Progressive Mountain Insurance Company
- Progressive Southeastern Insurance Company
- Progressive Hawaii Insurance Corp.
- Progressive Michigan Insurance Company
- Progressive Security Insurance Company
- Progressive West Insurance Company
- Progressive County Mutual Insurance Company
- Progressive Direct Insurance Company
- Progressive Marathon Insurance Company
- Progressive Max Insurance Company
- Progressive Advanced Insurance Company
- Progressive Universal Insurance Company
- Progressive Premier Insurance Company of Illinois
- Progressive Paloverde Insurance Company
- Progressive Select Insurance Company
- Progressive Garden State Insurance Company
- Progressive Express Insurance Company
- Progressive Property Insurance Company
- Progressive Choice Insurance Company
- Progressive Freedom Insurance Company
- Artisan and Truckers Casualty Company
- American Strategic Insurance Corp.
- ASI Assurance Corp.
- ASI Home Insurance Corp.
- ASI Lloyds
- ASI Preferred Insurance Corp.
- ASI Select Insurance Corp
- Drive New Jersey Insurance Company
- Mountain Laurel Assurance Company
- United Financial Casualty Company
The FSR of A (Excellent) and the Long-Term ICR of “a+” have been affirmed with a stable outlook for National Continental Insurance Company.
The Long-Term ICR of “a” and the following Long-Term IRs of The Progressive Corporation have been affirmed with stable outlooks:
The Progressive Corporation—
-- “a” on $500 million 3.75% senior unsecured notes, due 2021
-- “a” on $500 million 2.45% senior unsecured notes, due 2027
-- “a” on $300 million 6.625% senior unsecured notes, due 2029
-- “a” on $550 million 4.00% senior unsecured notes, due 2029
-- “a” on $400 million 6.250% senior unsecured notes, due 2032
-- “a” on $350 million 4.35% senior unsecured debentures, due 2044
-- “a” on $400 million 3.7% senior unsecured notes, due 2045
-- “a” on $850 million 4.125% senior unsecured notes, due 2047
-- “a” on $600 million 4.2% senior unsecured notes, due 2048
-- “bbb+” on $500 million 5.375% cumulative preferred stock
This press release relates to Credit Ratings that have been published on AM Best’s website. For all rating information relating to the release and pertinent disclosures, including details of the office responsible for issuing each of the individual ratings referenced in this release, please see AM Best’s Recent Rating Activity web page. For additional information regarding the use and limitations of Credit Rating opinions, please view Understanding Best’s Credit Ratings. For information on the proper media use of Best’s Credit Ratings and AM Best press releases, please view Guide for Media - Proper Use of Best’s Credit Ratings and AM Best Rating Action Press Releases.
AM Best is a global credit rating agency, news publisher and data provider specializing in the insurance industry. The company does business in more than 100 countries. Headquartered in Oldwick, NJ, AM Best has offices in cities around the world, including London, Amsterdam, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico City. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.
Copyright © 2019 by A.M. Best Rating Services, Inc. and/or its affiliates. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.