DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Myasthenia Gravis Treatment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Treatment (Medication, Surgery), by End Use (Hospitals, Clinics), and Segment Forecasts, 2019 - 2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
The global myasthenia gravis treatment market size is expected to reach USD 2.06 billion by 2026 at a CAGR of 7.5%.
Increasing awareness of rare diseases, emergence of biologics, and growing adoption of immunotherapies & immunosuppressant are driving the myasthenia gravis (MG) treatment market.
Myasthenia gravis (MG) is a rare autoimmune disorder caused by an antibody mediated neuromuscular transmission obstruction that results in skeletal muscle weakness. Some of the disorders associated with the disease include drooping eyelids, double vision, trouble walking, and trouble talking. Patients with MG present with painless muscle weakness that worsens with repeated use and improves with rest.
According to the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD), in the U.S. around 14-40 per 100,000 individuals suffer from myasthenia gravis. Reports suggest that the frequency of the disorder is on the rise over the last several decades. This can be attributed to the better identification of patients and the increasing prevalence of autoimmune disorders among general public across the world. Myasthenia gravis occurs more frequently in females than in males, and although symptoms may appear at any age, its onset usually peaks in men in their 50s or 60s and in women during their 20s or 30s.
Medication held the largest market share in the treatment segment and is expected to maintain its market leading position through the forecast period. This is because medications can largely manage the symptoms and dramatically inhibit the immune system. Medications include immunotherapies such as Soliris (eculizumab), corticosteroids, and immunosuppressive drugs such as Prograf (tacrolimus) and Neoral/Sandimmune (cyclosporine). However, high cost of treatment and lack of awareness in the developing & underdeveloped countries are expected to inhibit the market growth.
Further Key Findings From the Study Suggest:
- Medications are expected to obtain the largest market share in the treatment segment. This can be attributed to the high adoption of immunotherapies and the recent approval of promising drugs.
- Currently, no cure is available for myasthenia gravis, however patients can be treated with medications and surgery for the management of the symptoms.
- North America is likely to dominate the MG treatment market due high healthcare expenditure and favorable reimbursement scenario.
- The Asia Pacific region is expected to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period due to improving healthcare infrastructure and increasing disposable income in the region.
- Alexion Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Grifols SA
- Avadel Pharmaceuticals, Plc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- AbbVie Inc.
- F.Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- GlaxoSmithKline Plc.
- Bausch Health Companies Inc.
- Shire plc
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/y0aewi