ORANGE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The holidays are upon us, signaling the start of a cherished season filled with giving and receiving. While enjoying this celebratory time of year, it is good to be alert to the well-being of yourself and those you love.
Here are some tips from Western Dental to keep your mouth and gums healthy during this festive season:
- Don’t forget about nutrition. A lot of holiday food traditions began when sugary sweets were a rare treat. Today, sugar is everywhere, but it is best to limit intake for the sake of your teeth. Sugary feasts with marshmallow-topped yam casserole and pecan pie can be a delight. But sugar is a feast for cavity-causing bacteria. TIP: Consider brushing your teeth more frequently during the holidays, especially after sugary treats and meals.
- Veggies & salad. Make sure to balance holiday meals by including vegetables and salads. TIP: Red and orange veggies are usually high in vitamin C (good for gums), while leafy green vegetables are a great calcium source for strong teeth.
- Preventative steps: Drinking water intermittently helps keep sugar and food particles from resting in the grooves of your teeth. TIP: It’s important to maintain good habits by brushing the teeth thoroughly after meals and flossing every day.
- Holiday dental visits: Holiday weeks are the perfect time to visit the dentist. Kids are out of school, and many dental offices have available appointments. And, as holiday shopping approaches, look for deals on dental work and orthodontics. TIP: At Western Dental, patients receive a free whitening sample kit when they come in for a visit.
- Give the gift of great teeth: Sometimes the best gifts are things that last a lifetime, like a great smile. Braces, dental implants, take-home products like electric toothbrushes, and other dental services can make great gifts. TIP: Consider home care products available online or at Western Dental offices.
For more dental health tips, visit www.westerndental.com.
ABOUT WESTERN DENTAL
Western Dental (with its supported affiliates, including Brident Dental & Orthodontics, Access Dental, Blue Hills Dental, South Texas Dental and Vital Smiles) is one of the nation’s largest dental providers and is the leader in accessible, affordable oral healthcare, serving approximately 3.0 million patient visits annually in 324 affiliated offices throughout California, Texas, Arizona, Nevada and Alabama. In addition to general dentistry, Western Dental offers orthodontics, oral surgery, pediatric dentistry, periodontics and endodontics in its offices, creating a convenient full service “Dental Home.”
In California, Western Dental is the leading provider of services to both adults and children in the Denti-Cal program – part of the Medi-Cal public insurance program that provides health care benefits for more than 13 million low-income individuals and families. Western Dental dentists will provide care to a half-million Denti-Cal beneficiaries in 2019, and Western Dental is committed to continuing to partner with the State to improve the program. In Texas, Western Dental is the leading provider of Medicaid services and recently entered into a first-of-its-kind agreement to participate in a value-based care and payment model under the state’s Medicaid program.
All of Western Dental’s services are backed by a unique quality assurance system that electronically monitors all patient visits, treatments, dental staff and clinical performance to enable high-quality care. To learn more about Western Dental or inquire about an office in your community, visit www.westerndental.com or call 1-800-6-DENTAL.