DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DHA, Housing Solutions for North Texas announced today that it has achieved “High Performer” status from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) following an annual performance evaluation of each public housing authority across the country.
The “High Performer” rating is the top rating in overall categories from financial stewardship, management and physical condition and ranks DHA among the best public housing authorities in the country. The rating is based on 14 national indicators of performance that measures a PHA's effectiveness and ability to assist eligible families to afford decent rental units at a reasonable subsidy cost as intended by Federal housing legislation.
HUD has set three performance grades for the Section 8 Management Assessment Program (SEMAP):
- “High Performers” (overall score of 90%+)
- “Standard” (60-89%)
- “Troubled” (0-59%)
DHA achieved a score of 99% by securing 143 points out of a maximum of 145 across the 14 key measures. The key indicators of performance are:
- Proper selection of applicants from the housing choice voucher waiting list
- Sound determination of reasonable rent for each unit leased
- Establishment of payment standards within the required range of the HUD fair market rent
- Accurate verification of family income
- Timely annual reexaminations of family income
- Correct calculation of the tenant share of the rent and the housing assistance payment
- Maintenance of a current schedule of allowances for tenant utility costs
- Ensure units comply with the housing quality standards before families enter into leases and PHAs enter into housing assistance contracts
- Timely annual housing quality inspections
- Performance of quality control inspections to ensure housing quality
- Ensure that landlords and tenants promptly correct housing quality deficiencies
- Ensure that all available housing choice vouchers are used
- Expand housing choice outside areas of poverty or minority concentration
- Enroll families in the family self-sufficiency (FSS) program as required and help FSS families achieve increases in employment income
“Our team is dedicated to ensure that families across North Texas have access to quality housing solutions. We are proud that our most recent SEMAP ‘High Performer’ ranking is a direct reflection of these efforts,” said David Zappasodi, senior vice president and chief operating officer for DHA. “We thank our team for their hard work to achieve this prestigious designation and are honored to have this position of service in our community,” he concluded.
For more information about the SEMAP program, please visit:
DHA, Housing Solutions for North Texas provides quality, affordable housing to low-income families and individuals through the effective and efficient administration of housing assistance programs. The agency aims to create opportunities for program participants to achieve self-sufficiency and economic independence. DHA provides housing opportunities to ~55,000 people through public housing developments and Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) programs. Our mission is to provide affordable quality housing and access to supportive resources across North Texas. DHA is governed by its Board of Commissioners and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. DHA is an independent, local government entity, that is separate from the Dallas City Housing/Community Services department, which is governed by the City of Dallas. For more information about DHA, please visit www.dhantx.com.