NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Express (NYSE: AXP) has reimagined its iconic American Express® Green Card, now called Green from Amex, to include a suite of new benefits and features. First introduced 50 years ago, the new Green from Amex now comes with rich rewards to better serve today’s consumers and their appetite for travel and experiences - from the everyday to extraordinary.
“We know our Card Members value experiences - big and small - and a digital membership that fits seamlessly into their daily lives,” said Rachel Stocks, executive vice president of Global Premium Products & Benefits, American Express. “The Green Card was introduced 50 years ago, to meet consumer needs as the travel industry took off. Today, we are reimagining this iconic Card to once again meet the evolving needs of our Card Members and reward the areas they care about and regularly spend in - travel, transit and dining.”
TRAVEL AND TASTE WITH 3X MEMBERSHIP REWARDS® POINTS
With the new Green from Amex, Card Members earn 3X Membership Rewards points when they dine out, commute in or travel away. In addition to these enhancements, Card Members will receive a variety of benefits aimed at rewarding their experiences, including:
- 3X Membership Rewards points on travel including transit - such as flights, hotels, tours, car rentals, ride shares, buses, subways, third-party travel websites and amextravel.com
- 3X Membership Rewards points at restaurants worldwide
- Up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year towards purchase of CLEAR membership, which unlocks frictionless experiences at 60+ locations nationwide, including airports, arenas, stadiums and Hertz rental car locations
- Up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year towards purchases with LoungeBuddy to relax at airport lounges around the world - allowing travelers to find and book lounges on their terms
- As a limited-time offer, new Card Members who apply by January 15, 2020, can receive up to $100 in statement credits towards purchases with Away - a lifestyle brand designed for the modern traveler - in the first three months of membership
- New Card Members can also earn 30,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $2,000 on eligible purchases in the first three months of membership
- No foreign transaction fees (rates and fees)
NEW MEMBERSHIP EXPERIENCE
New Green from Amex is the first glimpse into American Express’ new digital membership experience which will scale across the consumer Card portfolio over time. The company is also redefining membership by adding more Card Member experiences, digital features and benefits that help make financial management more flexible and accessible.
Beginning with Green from Amex, Card Members will have digital and lifestyle services including:
- A mobile assistant to book flights or hotels, check rewards balance or ask account questions - all with just a few taps in the American Express App.
- Card Members can easily split the bill with other Venmo or PayPal users, and still earn all the rewards for the purchase. When using Green from Amex for a group expense, Card Members can divide up the total purchase amount and send out the requests, all from the American Express App. When they get paid back, the money will be added to their account with Venmo or PayPal. Enrollment required.
- Payment and purchase flexibility to help Card Members manage their account their way. Card Members can decide if they want to pay in full or carry a balance with interest on eligible charges, up to their Pay Over Time limit. Card Members also have the option to spend beyond their limit while still earning rewards, unlocking more purchase power when they need it. The amount Card Members spend beyond their limit is included in their minimum due each month.
With these enhanced benefits, Green from Amex now has an annual fee of $150 (rates and fees), up from the previous fee of $95. Including the limited-time offer, new Card Members may receive up to $300 in statement credits in their first year of membership - double the annual fee.
NEW CARD DESIGN BACKS OUR OCEANS
Along with refreshing the benefits, American Express unveiled the Card’s new design last month. As part of American Express’ broader efforts to combat marine plastic pollution, Green from Amex is made primarily with reclaimed plastic collected from beaches, islands and coastal communities from Parley for the Oceans.
“We hope Green from Amex will serve as a daily reminder to our Card Members to do their part to back our oceans and consider how they can reduce the use of plastic in their own lives,” said Stocks.
For more information about the redesigned Card and our efforts to combat marine plastic pollution, visit: americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/back-our-oceans
Our existing American Express Green Card Members are some of our most loyal customers and we’re excited to offer them even more value on the categories that matter most to them. Starting today, many of our existing American Express Green Card Members will receive these refreshed benefits. The new fee will go into effect on their next renewal date on or after January 1, 2020.
Terms and limitations apply. For more information about the new Green from Amex, visit: americanexpress.com/amexgreen
ABOUT AMERICAN EXPRESS
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com, and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, Linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.