OLDWICK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In this AMBestTV episode from the Insurance Society of Philadelphia Award dinner, John Lupica, vice chairman, Chubb Group, and president, major accounts & specialty insurance, North America, was honored as the 2019 distinguished leader award recipient. Proceeds from the event will fund scholarships and fire education-related activities. Click on http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=isop1019 to view the entire program.
A record 900 attendees were at this year’s event, which raised over $800,000. Lupica spoke about being the recipient of this year’s award.
“It is a very humbling experience,” said Lupica. “I have been a big part of the Philadelphia insurance community for 27 years, as well as attending this event for 25 years, so receiving this award is just overwhelming. The work that the society does with the scholarships and the Philadelphia fire department is extraordinary and I am really honored to be a part of it.”
Joseph Maher, regional branch manager, Philadelphia region, Starr, spoke about the stringent criteria that is required to receive this distinguish leadership award.
“The award has four basic categories that are required to qualify, being a known leader in the insurance industry; exceptional management style; delivering leadership excellence throughout his organization; and community and charitable work. John is involved heavily in all four of those areas and does a fantastic job.”
Adam Thiel, fire commissioner, Philadelphia, thanked the attendees for their generous contributions and highlighted the need for more fire prevention education in Philadelphia.
“Unfortunately, here in Philadelphia, we had more fire deaths per capita than any city in the world in 2019,” he said. “We still have a fire problem in this city and that is why my department, with the help of the society and others, has installed over 40,000 smoke alarms in the last 18 months.”
Other people that appear in this episode:
- Roger Fell, managing director, Marsh;
- Amanda Braz, environmental home office, Chubb;
- Dianne Salter, executive vice president, Corporate Insurance Services; and
- Kenneth Ewell, president, chief operating officer and principal, Graham Company.
Recent AMBestTV episodes include:
- 15%-20% Insurtechs Offer Promise, Others Will Fail, Says Starr’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Greenberg: Maurice R. “Hank” Greenberg, chairman and chief executive officer, Starr Insurance Companies, discusses the rise of insurtech and China market trends in an interview touching on a range of topics: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=greenberg1019.
- General Electric’s Long-Term Care Exposure Casts Wide Shadow, Say AM Best Analysts: Erik Miller and Jason Hopper, associate directors with AM Best, explain why long-developing problems with long-term care insurance have thrust General Electric and the wider long-term care industry into the spotlight: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=ltc919.
- Health Insurers See Strong Results, Accommodate ACA, Say AM Best Analysts: Sally Rosen, senior director, Doniella Pliss, director and Jason Hopper, associate director, all of AM Best, said U.S. health insurers have continued to adapt to changes brought about from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and its modifications: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=aca919.
- Rated U.S. Property/Casualty Mutual Insurers See Improved Results, Says AM Best Senior Financial Analyst: Kimberly Muccia, senior financial analyst, AM Best, said fewer catastrophe losses in 2018, along with better underwriting performance by smaller mutuals, led to better overall results for AM Best-rated U.S. property/casualty mutual insurers: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=mutuals919.
AM BestTV covers exclusive AM Best and insurance industry information and reports, targeted topics and key developments in the insurance, reinsurance and related sectors daily. Sign up for alerts of episodes at http://www.ambest.com/multimedia/ambtvsignup.html. View AM BestTV episodes at http://www.ambest.tv.
AM Best is a global credit rating agency and information provider with an exclusive focus on the insurance industry. Visit www.ambest.com for more information.
Copyright © 2019 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. and/or its affiliates. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.