PORTLAND, Maine--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In its first year offering Medicare Advantage plans, Anthem | MaineHealth will give Medicare-eligible residents in Maine access to a package of 10 wellness services – including nutrition support and counseling, health-related transportation, and alternative medicine.
“Anthem | MaineHealth recognizes that these types of social and support services can be drivers of good health, are important to Medicare-eligible consumers, and can be key factors when individuals make enrollment choices in this year’s Medicare annual election period,” said Kelly Williams, Anthem | MaineHealth Joint Venture Executive Director.
Earlier this year, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield and MaineHealth announced they were collaborating in a joint venture to provide Medicare Advantage health plans to Mainers. This joint venture, Anthem | MaineHealth, combines the region’s leading health care system and health insurer, their brand recognition, as well as their expertise in providing a comprehensive approach to care that will support Maine seniors in their healthy aging.
The Essential Extras package, which contains the 10 service choices, will be offered to most consumers enrolled in select counties in the following 2020 Medicare Advantage plans: Anthem | MaineHealth Advantage Dual (HMO D-SNP) and Anthem | MaineHealth Advantage Choice (HMO-POS).
“When we looked at the underlying medical, behavioral, and environmental obstacles consumers often face, we designed a menu of wellness services that can help people lead healthier lives,” noted Betsy Johnson, MD, board member for Anthem | MaineHealth Joint Venture. “By taking a whole-person approach to health, we’re offering Medicare Advantage health plans and benefits that will help remove hurdles to healthier living.”
Members who are enrolled in the Medicare Advantage plans that have the Essential Extras package will be able to select one of the 10 services listed below, at no extra cost. Members should consult their Evidence of Coverage document for specific benefit details as benefits may vary by plan.
- Healthy Nutrition: Based on qualifying clinical criteria, access to eight (8) sessions per year with a dietitian who can provide nutritional education support as well as monthly delivery of pantry staples (nonperishable items) to help make dietary changes.
- Pest Control: Quarterly preventive treatments to regulate or eliminate the intrusion of household pests.
- Health and Fitness Tracker: The member is provided a fitness tracker device as well as membership in programs to promote improved physical and mind fitness.
- Service Dog Support: Up to $500 annual allowance to help pay for items used to care for a member’s service dog, such as leashes and vests. The dog must be certified under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Healthy Food Deliveries: Up to 16 delivered meals four times each calendar year (64 total) to support members who are either discharged from an overnight stay at a hospital, have a Body Mass Index (BMI) more than 25 or less than 18, or has an A1C level more than 9.0.
- Transportation: Up to 60 one-way trips per year to health-related appointments or to obtain a service covered by the health plan.
- Personal Home Helper: Up to 124 hours of an in-home personal care aide for assistance with activities of daily living such as dressing, grooming, & bathing.
- Assistive Devices: Up to a $500 allowance for safety devices such as ADA toilet seats, shower stools, hand-held shower heads, and reaching devices.
- Day Center Visits: Up to one (1) visit per week for adult day center services, in order to help older adults who need supervision and assistance.
- Alternative Medicine: Up to 24 acupuncture and/or therapeutic massage visits each calendar year.
Individuals who are interested in joining one of these health plans can enroll during this year’s Medicare Annual Election Period (AEP). The AEP begins October 15, 2019, and continues through December 7, 2019 and gives consumers enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B the opportunity to sign up for Anthem | MaineHealth’s 2020 Medicare Advantage plans.
For more details about these health plan benefits and Anthem | MaineHealth’s Medicare plans, consumers can call (855) 769-0944, which is available 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, April 1 to Sept. 30; and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week, Oct. 1 to March 31. Individuals can also visit the company’s online store at https://www.anthem.com/medicare-mainehealth/.
AMH Health, operating as Anthem | MaineHealth, is an HMO plan with a Medicare contract. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is an HMO DSNP plan with a Medicare contract and a contract with the Maine Medicaid program. We do not discriminate, exclude people, or treat them differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in our health programs and activities. ATTENTION: Si vous parlez français, des services d'aide linguistique vous sont proposés gratuitement. Appelez le 1-888-230-7338 (ATS : 711). ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-888-230-7338 (TTY: 711). This plan is available to anyone who has both Medical Assistance from the State and Medicare. Other providers are available in our network.
About Anthem | MaineHealth
Plans offered by AMH Health, LLC, a joint venture between MaineHealth and Anthem Partnership Holding Company, LLC. AMH Health, LLC is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Additional information about Anthem | MaineHealth is available at https://www.anthem.com/medicare-mainehealth/.