South Korea's advanced online retail market
As of 2019, South Korea ranks third worldwide by online retail sales. The B2C E-Commerce market is well advanced, taking up nearly a quarter of the country's overall retail sales. Nevertheless, there is still room for more growth. The report contains a projection that by around 2023, South Korea could ascend two ranks to become the world's number three in online retail sales, surpassing Japan and the UK.
Coupang leads in South Korean E-Commerce
The future growth is expected to be driven by mobile commerce and payment services, as well as cross-border online shopping. Well over 50% of online retail sales in South Korea is generated on mobile devices, with this share is becoming larger every year, according to statistics. In terms of E-Commerce competition, the top market share is held by Coupang, followed by other market leaders including eBay Korea, 11st, and others.
Questions Answered in this Report
- How does South Korea rank compared to other top B2C E-Commerce markets worldwide?
- What growth rate is projected for South Korea' B2C E-Commerce sales through 2023?
- How high is the M-Commerce share of online retail sales in South Korea in 2019?
- What are the best-selling product categories in South Korea's online retail?
- Who are the leading B2C E-Commerce market players in South Korea?
Key Topics Covered:
1. Management Summary
2. Overview & International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview and International Comparisons, September 2019
- Top 10 Countries by Retail E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, by Canada, China, India, Germany, France, Japan, Russia, South Korea, the UK, the USA, 2018 & 2019f
- Top 10 Countries by Retail E-Commerce Sales Growth, in %, by Argentina, Canada, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Russia, South Korea and Worldwide, 2019f vs. 2018
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, by China, Japan, South Korea, the UK and the USA, in %, 2018
- M-Commerce Share of Total Retail E-Commerce Sales, in %, by China, India, Indonesia, South Korea, Thailand, the UK and the USA, 2018
- Breakdown of Internet Traffic by Device, in %, August 2019
- Research and Purchase Channels Used, in % of Online Shoppers, 6 Months to April 2019
- Breakdown of Spending by Channels as Perceived by Online Shoppers, in %, 6 Months to April 2019
- M-Commerce Sales, in KRW trillion, and Share of E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2017-2018 & H1 2019
- M-Commerce Sales by Product Category, in KRW billion, 2017, 2018 & H1 2019
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2018
- Top 3 Product Categories Purchased Cross-Border, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, May 2018
- Top 3 Countries Purchased From in Latest Cross-Border Online Purchase, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, 2018
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Purchased a Product on Instagram, in %, April 2019
4. Sales & Shares
- Retail E-Commerce Sales, in KRW trillion, and Year-on-Year Change, in %, 2017-2018 & H1 2019
- Breakdown of Retail E-Commerce Sales by Online Pure-Play and Multichannel Platforms, in %, 2017-2018 & H1 2019
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, and Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2018-2023f
5. Internet Users & Online Shoppers
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, and Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2013 - 2018
- Online Shopper Penetration, by Device, in % of Internet Users, 2017 & 2018
- Average Monthly Online Spending, in KRW, 2017 & 2018
- Breakdown of Frequency of Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2018
- Top 10 Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, 2017 & 2018
- Retail E-Commerce Sales by Product Category, in KRW billion, 2017, 2018 & H1 2019
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2017 & 2018
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, by PC and Mobile, 2018
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Would be Willing to Change Their Main Online Store if Another Store Offered Express Shipping Options, in %, April 2019
- The Score of Customer Satisfaction with Speed and Accuracy of Delivery, by Six Selected E-Commerce Platforms, May 2019
- Overview of B2C E-Commerce Players, September 2019
- Revenues and Operating Profits/Losses of Selected Leading E-Commerce Players, in KRW billion, and Year-on-Year Change, in %, 2018
- Average Monthly Online Spending, by Six Selected E-Commerce Platforms and Total Average, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2019
- Customer Satisfaction Score of Six Selected E-Commerce Platforms, May 2019
- Top 10 E-Commerce Websites by Unique Visitors, in millions, and Reach, in %, August 2019
- Top 10 E-Commerce Mobile Applications by Unique Users, in millions, and Reach, in %, August 2019
- Top Mobile Shopping Apps by Number of Monthly Active Users, in millions, October 2018
- 11 Street Co Ltd
- Coupang Corp.
- eBay Korea Co. Ltd
- Lotte Group
- NAVER Corp
- SK Telecom Co. Ltd.
- Tmon Inc. (ticket monster)
- Wemakeprice Inc.
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/lhpjnc