DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "WebAssembly Security from Reversing to Vulnerability Research" conference has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering
WebAssembly (WASM) is a new binary format currently developed and supported by all major browsers including Firefox, Chrome, WebKit /Safari and Microsoft Edge through the W3C. This new format has been designed to be "Efficient and fast", "Debuggable" and "Safe" that is why it is often called as the "game changer for the web" but it is not used ONLY for the web.
WebAssembly started actually to be used everywhere (not exhaustive):
- Web-browsers (Desktop & Mobile)
- Cryptojacking (Coinhive, Cryptoloot)
- Servers/Website (Nodejs, React, Qt, Electron, Cloudflare workers)
- Video games (Unity, UE4)
- Blockchain platforms (EOS, Ethereum, Dfinity)
- Linux Kernel (Cervus, Nebulet) Etc.
This courses will give you all the prerequisites to understand what's a WebAssembly module and its runtime virtual machine. At the end of the 3 days, you will be able to reverse statically and dynamically a WebAssembly module, analyze its behavior, create detection rule and search for vulnerability insides.
You will learn which security measures are implemented by the WebAssembly VM to validate and handle exceptions. Finally, you will discover how to find vulnerabilities inside WebAssembly VMs (Web-browsers, Standalone VM) using different fuzzing techniques.
Along this training, students will deal with a lot of hands-on exercises and real-life module allowing them to internalize concepts and techniques taught in class.
This class is intended for everyone who wants to understand deeper how WebAssembly works such as:
- (Web) Pentester.
- Vulnerability researchers.
- Malware analysts.
- Blockchain smart contract auditors.
- Developers etc
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, Bash).
- Familiarity with C/C++ or Rust programming.
- SKILL LEVEL: BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE
- A notebook capable of running virtual machines.
- Enough hard disk space to run one VM
Minimum Software to Install
- Virtual machine (VirtualBox preferred)
- Administrator / root access required.
- IDA helpful, but not required.
Day 1 - WebAssembly Reversing
- Introduction to WebAssembly
- WebAssembly VM architecture & toolchain
- Writing examples in C/C++/Rust
- WASM binary format (header, sections, ...)
- WASM Text Format (wat/wast)
- Reversing WebAssembly module
- CFG & CallGraph reconstruction
- DataFlowGraph analysis
- WebAssembly Cryptominers analysis
- WASM pattern detection signatures (YARA rules, ...)
Day 2 - Dynamic analysis
- Debugging WebAssembly module
- Taint Tracking & Dynamic Binary Instrumentation (DBI)
- Bytecode (De)-Obfuscation techniques
- Decompilation & Static Single Assignment (SSA)
- Real-life WASM module analysis
- Traps & Exception handling
- WASM module validation mechanism
- Lifting WASM bytecode
Day 3 - Vulnerability Research (Module & VM)
- Basic WebAssembly module vulnerabilities (Integer/Buffer/Heap Overflows)
- Advanced vulnerabilities (UaF, TOCTOU, CFI Hijacking, ...)
- Emscripten vulnerabilities & NodeJS server exploitation
- Fuzzing WebAssembly modules
- Web-Browsers vulnerabilities analysis (CVEs PoC)
- Fuzzing Web-Browsers (Chrome, Firefox, WebKit)
- WAT, WAST & WASM grammar generation
- Fuzzing C/C++/Rust/Go based WASM projects
For more information about this conference visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/m2m97j