MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Arcos Dorados (NYSE:ARCO) (“Arcos Dorados” or the “Company”), the world’s largest independent McDonald's franchisee, today released its corporate social responsibility report providing information on the Company’s 2018 economic, environmental and social responsibility performance in all the countries throughout Latin America and the Caribbean in which it operates. The report, entitled "Creating the Recipe of the Future," updates Arcos' progress related to its five focus areas: people, employment, community, quality and sustainability. The report includes updates on various Arcos programs and activities which promote social mobility; reaching thousands of young people with job training skills and values through their first formal employment. The report also describes areas where the Company has reduced the environmental impact at its restaurants, offices and throughout its supply chain while improving quality of life in the communities where it has a presence. Some highlights from the report include:
- Hired more than 55,000 employees throughout Latin America
- Provided 350,000 youth degrees through the Arcos Training Programs, enabling youth to develop important professional skills in order to successfully enter the work force
- 1.1 million books distributed as part of the Arcos Dorados Happy Meal experience, providing children important access to reading
- More than two million “Open Doors” (“Puertas Abiertas”) program participants, providing customers a tour of Arcos Dorados kitchens to see first-hand the high quality, safety and cleanliness measures in place while their food is prepared
- 15% energy savings at Arcos Dorados restaurants through the use of a new, modern LED light system
- 500 restaurants were included as part of the “Natal Project” which recycles air conditioner water for use in gardening and wash the external areas of the restaurants
"Our strong presence in 20 Latin American countries makes Arcos Dorados the leading company in the region, and we also must be a leader in respecting the environment and supporting the communities where we live and work; ensuring our employees’ development and our customers’ well-being while improving local economies through a sustainable supply chain. We are also focused on minimizing our operations’ overall environmental impact," said Woods Staton, Arcos’ Executive Chairman.
Gabriel Serber, Arcos Dorados Director of Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development, added: "Our responsibility is led by our desire to address those challenges currently facing society. Therefore, our ‘Recipe of the Future’ strategy is aligned with the McDonald's ‘Scale for Good’ global initiative. This initiative, based on five key pillars- including Child Nutrition, Sustainable Meat, Packaging and Recycling, Climate Change, and Opportunities and Training for Youth Employment- reinforces our strategy of leveraging our considerable scale to generate a positive impact in our communities and on our planet."
Arcos Dorados remains focused on developing new programs and activities to further its positive social and environmental contributions. The Company’s 2018 Corporate Social Responsibility Report can be downloaded from its corporate website at: www.arcosdorados.com.
About Arcos Dorados
Arcos Dorados is the world’s largest McDonald’s franchisee in terms of systemwide sales and number of restaurants, operating the largest quick service restaurant chain in Latin America and the Caribbean. It has the exclusive right to own, operate and grant franchises of McDonald’s restaurants in 20 Latin American and Caribbean countries and territories, including Argentina, Aruba, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curaçao, Ecuador, French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Thomas, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela. The Company operates or franchises over 2,100 McDonald’s branded restaurants with over 90,000 employees and is recognized as one of the best companies to work for in Latin America. Arcos Dorados is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE:ARCO). For further information about the Company, please visit the Investors section on our website: www.arcosdorados.com/ir