WESTBOROUGH, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BJ’s Charitable Foundation today announced that it has donated $50,000 to fund all classroom projects currently listed by teachers in Madison Heights and Taylor, Mich. through crowd-funding website DonorsChoose.org. The donation from the BJ’s Charitable Foundation provides classroom essentials to help Michigan students thrive and celebrates BJ’s Wholesale Club’s newest locations opening later this year.
“At BJ’s, we’re committed to helping our members and their families thrive,” said Kirk Saville, executive director, BJ’s Charitable Foundation. “We're thrilled to celebrate our arrival to Eastern Michigan with this $50,000 donation to local classrooms.”
BJ's donation supports a variety of teacher projects in Madison Heights and Taylor. The $50,000 donation funded over 40 projects and will positively impact more than 3,500 local students. Projects funded include:
- Basic school supplies, including glue, scissors, pencils, markers and folders for everyday school activities
- Interactive learning games, such as puzzles and activities, to enhance hands-on math workshops for elementary schoolers
- Alternative seating options, including balance balls, floor seats and wobble cushions and chairs to help Kindergartners move while learning
BJ’s is committed to nourishing communities and helping families thrive by providing access to basic essentials including fresh food, education and wellness. In addition to the company’s donation to DonorsChoose.org, BJ’s has donated $175,000 to Forgotten Harvest, a Feeding America® member food bank, since December 2018.
Through BJ’s Feeding Communities® program, BJ’s new clubs in Madison Heights and Taylor, Mich., opening late 2019, will donate unsold produce, meat, poultry, seafood, dairy and bakery products daily to Forgotten Harvest in an effort to reduce food waste and provide wholesome, fresh food to those in need. To date, the BJ’s Feeding Communities program—a company-wide philanthropic initiative to help end hunger—has donated more than 77 million meals to families throughout the club’s communities.
For more information on BJ’s Wholesale Club and membership, visit BJs.com/Michigan or the local BJ’s Wholesale Club Membership Centers located at 29329 John R Road in Madison Heights and at 21838 Eureka Road in Taylor.
BJ’s Wholesale Club is bringing Michigan a fresh take on a wholesale club:
- 25% off grocery store prices*: BJ’s beats supermarket prices on national brands every day so members can stock up for less.
- Coupon-friendly: BJ’s is the only warehouse club that accepts all manufacturers’ coupons, plus members can add coupons to their membership card from the BJ’s app or online.
- Fresh choices: BJ’s assortment offers more fresh food than other warehouse clubs, with delicious produce, meats, deli and bakery items for weekly shopping.
- Big gas savings: More ways to save on a fill-up.
- Everyday ClubVenienceSM: Members can shop however they want with convenient options like BJs.com, buy online, pick up in-club and same-day grocery delivery.
- Start shopping now: The one-year membership will kick in when the Michigan clubs open, but members who sign up early can start using their membership and shop on BJs.com right away.
BJ’s Wholesale Club will bring 300 jobs to the area and is currently hiring for select positions in both locations. To learn more about career opportunities, visit: BJs.com/careers.
*25% savings is based on Member pricing on a basket of 100 national brand household staples, on an unpromoted unit-price basis, when compared to four leading grocery chains in our trade areas. Learn more at www.bjs.com/25percentterms.
About BJ's Wholesale Club Holdings, Inc.
Headquartered in Westborough, Massachusetts, BJ's Wholesale Club Holdings, Inc. is a leading operator of membership warehouse clubs on the East Coast of the United States. The company currently operates 217 clubs and 140 BJ's Gas® locations in 16 states.
The Company's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: BJ).
Founded in 2000 by a Bronx history teacher, DonorsChoose.org has raised $851,308,996 for America's classrooms. Teachers come to DonorsChoose.org to request the materials and experiences they need most for their classrooms, and donors give to the projects that inspire them. To date, 3,844,300 people and partners have funded 1,461,170 projects on the site, reaching 34,714,869 students and making DonorsChoose.org the leading platform for supporting U.S. public schools. DonorsChoose.org is the only crowdfunding platform that vets each request, delivers materials directly to schools, and captures the impact of every funded project with photos, thank yous, and a cost report showing how each dollar was spent. In 2014, DonorsChoose.org made the top 10 of Fast Company's list of the World's Most Innovative Companies, the first time a charity has received such recognition.