PORTLAND, Maine--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Gen Re has released results of the 2018 U.S. Group Term Life Market Survey. This annual industry benchmark survey covers Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) in-force and new sales results for the U.S. market, representing combined employer-paid and employee-paid business.
According to the participating companies (25 for Group Term Life; 24 for AD&D), sales and in-force premium growth was mixed for both products. Key observations include:
- Participants reported just over $25.4 billion in total Group Term Life in-force premium, a 5% increase compared to 2017 results.
- The total number of employers offering coverage increased by 1% from year-to-year, while the number of insured employees grew by 3%.
- For Group AD&D, in-force premium was up by 5%. After two years of strong double-digit growth, new AD&D sales premium declined by 4% versus 2017.
- After three years of positive gains, new Group Term Life sales premium declined by 5%, totaling $2.5 billion.
- At $96,998, the average face amount for new Group Term Life policies was up by 5% in 2018.
The Market Survey is an annual benchmark survey produced by Gen Re, with the full results available only to participating companies. A summary report is available online at genre.com/lhsurveys.
Gen Re, a Berkshire Hathaway Company, is one of the leading life/health and property/casualty reinsurers in the world. Our North American life and health reinsurance company, General Re Life Corporation, has superior financial strength ratings among life and health reinsurers. Gen Re delivers customized reinsurance programs and risk management solutions for the Life, Medicare Supplement, Critical Illness and Individual Disability Income markets. Through our research, we also offer valuable information and insights. www.genre.com