MCLEAN, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Just in time for the first day of summer, Hampton by Hilton will launch the first-ever Hampton Real Travel Road Trip Hotline, with live operators on duty to offer pit stop advice, car game suggestions, and even resolve that eternal dispute about who gets to pick the music. Iconic TV personality and “America’s Funniest Home Videos” host Alfonso Ribeiro will kick off the hotline and offer his own spin on travel tips.
Backed by a new survey that confirms America’s love affair with the classic road trip, Hampton by Hilton will apply the expertise that comes from being a vacationer favorite. With more than 2,200 locations across the United States, travelers are never more than 30 minutes from the next Hampton hotel, on average.
Beginning June 21 at 1 p.m. ET, road trippers can call the Hampton Real Travel Road Trip Hotline at 1-866-7-HAMPTON for live advice and tips. Ribeiro will join the Hotline team from 1 to 4 p.m. ET that day, adding honest, helpful and hilarious advice based on his own experience as a frequent traveler and father of four.
Shruti Gandhi Buckley, global head of Hampton by Hilton, said the Real Travel Road Trip Hotline is a natural extension of Hampton’s commitment to hospitality and taking care of guests while they are on the road. “Road trips are an American tradition and for many of our guests, an essential part of the summer vacation experience,” Buckley said. “And while most really enjoy road trips, there are certainly ‘real travel’ moments along the way that our brand understands.”
“We have long been known for our unparalleled approach to hospitality and the Hampton Real Travel Road Trip Hotline is another way we’re delivering it, by anticipating guests’ travel needs and delivering friendly, authentic customer service unmatched by our competitors.”
Summer travel is on the rise and a new survey by Hampton by Hilton reveals that travelers can’t get enough of the open road. Almost all (94%) Americans have gone on a road trip, but the survey showed that while people love road trips, they’re not without a few bumps along the way.
Among the results of the consumer survey:
- Getting Real about Road Trips: Almost nine in ten (87%) agree that road trips are an essential part of an American vacation and more than three-quarters (77%) agree that road trips are their favorite way to travel. But nearly half (44%) admit this journey can be a stressful one and almost one in five (19%) say road trips make them feel anxious.
- Acknowledging “Obli-cations”: “Obli-cations” – or obligatory reasons for taking a road trip – include attending a family gathering (34%), taking the kids to a sporting or school event (32%), or visiting family or friends because they had to (25%).
- The Quality of Quality Time: Seven in ten (70%) road trippers say they enjoy spending quality time with people in the car and an almost equal number (66%) say sharing an experience with those they care about is a highlight of their road trip. Yet almost three-quarters (71%) admit they have experienced a squabble on a road trip. Among the most common reasons are where to stop (36%), what kind of music to listen to (36%), how often to stop (35%) and “backseat drivers” complaining about the driver’s abilities (34%).
- All in the Family: Almost three-fifths (59%) of people have road tripped with their significant other. Other common road trip companions include friends (38%), parents (31%), and siblings (29%). Most Americans think that the children – or siblings – are the most likely to argue with each other (42%), followed by couples (32%) and mom and the kids (23%).
- Car Conversations: More than half (56%) say the conversations are memorable parts of their road trip experience and 47% say they have enjoyed deep, meaningful conversations in the car. Although, it is not all serious as inside jokes with fellow passengers (42%) and playing car games (39%) also make road trips unforgettable. Some road trippers (15%) also admit awkward silences – for better or worse – are memorable.
- Bumps in the Road: Almost three quarters (72%) of road trippers agree that these trips are about the journey, not the destination. Yet more than three fifths (62%) have gotten lost at some point along their journey, almost a third (32%) have had car troubles, and 30% have had someone get sick in the car.
- Stop Strategy: Almost four in five (79%) make at least one stop to visit an attraction along the way and road trippers reveal that on a typical day, they stop an average of three times to take pictures.
The survey also revealed why Hampton by Hilton remains a top choice for summer leisure travelers: 59% of road trippers choose the convenience of staying at a hotel closest to their route. About half of all Hampton hotels in the continental U.S. are 15 miles or less from major interstates, making Hampton by Hilton perfectly located no matter where the road trip is taking travelers.
For road trippers, the most important features of their overnight accommodations are price (79%), free breakfast (61%) and free Wi-Fi (58%). Hampton by Hilton delivers those features and more, all at a great value. This summer, Hampton is raising the bar on its free, hot breakfast across the U.S. and Canada, adding mini-waffle stations with new flavors (blueberry, chocolate, banana and cinnamon roll), along with new items including Greek yogurt smoothies, pressed juices, egg white frittatas, prime rib hash and fresh-baked pastries. And for guests who need to hit the road extra early, Hampton’s signature On-the-RunTM breakfast bags, which include fruit, a breakfast bar and a bottle of water, are also available.
For more information about the Hampton Real Travel Road Trip Hotline, visit www.hamptonhotline.com or follow along on social media with Hampton by Hilton’s Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts (@HamptonByHilton) with the hashtag #RealTravel.
*Kelton Global conducted the Hampton by Hilton Road Trip Hotline Survey among 2,000 Americans aged 18+ from May 1st – May 6th, 2019 via an online survey with an overall margin of error of +/- 2.2%
About Hampton by Hilton
As the number one ranked lodging franchise for the past 10 years, according to Entrepreneur®, Hampton by Hilton, including Hampton Inn by Hilton and Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton, serves value-conscious and quality-driven travelers at more than 2,450 properties with more than 254,000 rooms in 27 countries and territories. High-quality accommodations and amenities, such as complimentary WiFi, free hot breakfast, and On The RunTM breakfast bags, contribute to Hampton by Hilton ranking as a leader in its segment. Hampton by Hilton Team Members deliver friendly, authentic, caring, and thoughtful service defined as Hamptonality, with guest happiness being the number one priority, backed by the 100% Hampton GuaranteeTM. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. For more information about Hampton by Hilton, visit www.hampton.com or newsroom.hilton.com/hampton, and connect on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 17 world-class brands comprising more than 5,700 properties with more than 923,000 rooms, in 113 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton earned a spot on the 2018 world’s best workplaces list, and has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its 100-year history. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, more than 89 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can’t buy, plus enjoy instant benefits, including digital check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.