DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Zambia - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
Zambia is a landlocked country with a focus on developing ICTs to spur growth in the digital economy. Consumers have benefited from access to international submarine fibre optic cables, which has seen a considerable reduction in fixed-line and mobile access pricing. Pricing has also been reduced in recent quarters as network operators battle to gain customers in anticipation of the launch of services by UZI Telecom.
The government's Universal Access Fund has made considerable progress in delivering telecom services to underserved areas, particularly in paying for more than 1,000 base stations to be built. By mid-2018 this project had helped extend mobile coverage to about 95% of the population, and the project is expected to be about half-complete by the end of the year.
Separately, mobile network operators continue to invest in 3G and LTE-based services, while several ISPs have also rolled out WiMAX wireless broadband networks. MTN Zambia in addition has initiated an FttP program, initially in Lusaka. These developments are set to increase overall broadband penetration significantly in coming years.
- Vodafone Zambia awarded licence to offer VoLTE services;
- Government introduces tax on VoIP calls;
- Zamtel commissions additional towers as part of a government-funded rural infrastructure project;
- Government calls for Zamtel to be split into three units before being privatised;
- MTN Zambia announces FttP rollout plans via its Connected Home' initiative, launches micro lending service Kongola;
- Chinese government lends $273 million to complete digital broadcast process by end-2017;
- Zamtel extends its LTE service;
- Government adopts new converged licensing regime;
- National Data Center opens as part of the government's Smart Zambia project;
- Vodafone Zambia completes LTE-A rollout program;
- Western Fibre Route cable connecting Malawi to Zambia;
- Airtel commits an additional $142 million for network expansion and upgrades;
- Report update includes the regulator's market updates to December 2017, operator data to Q2 2018, recent market developments.
- Zambia Telecommunications (Zamtel, LAP Green)
- MTN Zambia
- Bharti Airtel
- Cell Z (Zamtel)
- Coppernet Solutions
- UUNet Zambia
- Microlink Technologies
- Zambia Electricity Supply Corporation (ZESCO)
- Copperbelt Energy Corporation (CEC)
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/242dhi