ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the flowers beginning to blossom and the days becoming longer and warmer, spring is the perfect time to go green and start living a more sustainable lifestyle. Apartments.com — the most visited apartment listing site — revealed the top tips to help renters live more efficiently in their apartment, from saving on utility bills to recycling and simple DIY solutions.
1. Find an Eco-Friendly Apartment Complex: After determining which city is the next place to call home, eco-friendly renters should make sure to choose an apartment community that is equally as environmentally responsible. Luckily, the search features on Apartments.com allow renters to find the perfect, sustainable apartment by simply entering keywords such as green, energy, or sustainable. Numerous LEED certified complexes in Portland, San Jose, and Seattle, for example, feature eco-friendly amenities including car-charging stations, energy efficient appliances, and even greenhouses.
2. Reduce Energy Consumption: As the temperature begins to rise, so do electricity bills. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Americans spend an average of more than $110 per month on their energy bill. Since the cost to run a fan is much cheaper than cranking up the air conditioning, consider turning up the AC by a few notches and letting the fan run along with it. Another great way renters can keep apartments cooler is to invest in black-out curtains. Black-out curtains are perfect during extra-sunny months, and they are a great way to spruce up the apartment décor. Additionally, using LED lightbulbs will save much more energy compared to their standard counterpart.
3. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: We’ve all heard the mantra before, but many of us forget to follow it. To get started, keep a stylish bin somewhere out in the open as a reminder to sort all trash before it reaches the dump. While some apartment complexes offer a recycling bin, renters may have to find their local drop-off. To go a step further, try getting neighbors involved as recycling should be an individual and community effort. There are plenty of other ways to reduce consumption and reuse items, such as creating your own compost instead of throwing away all scraps and buying reusable water bottles and storage containers.
4. Use Your Green Thumb: Creating an at-home compost provides nutrient rich soil – a great benefit that can help renters grow their own herbs or plants. Place plants on a sunny window sill or out on the balcony, water them as needed, and voila, you can now cook with the freshest, homegrown ingredients. Don’t forget to use green, chemical-free pesticides to protect your plants. Alternatively, opt for a succulent garden or indoor houseplants that not only look good, but naturally clean the air.
5. Buy Eco-Friendly Products: Renters can make a big impact with just a few small product changes – from cleaning products to clothes to home and shopping items. Cleaning products often come in unsustainable packaging and contain very harsh chemicals that can negatively affect the environment and the health of your families. Switching to more eco-friendly, biodegradable cleaning products will keep your apartment clean and green. Whenever possible, find products made from recycled or reusable materials.
With these tips, living a sustainable life in your apartment can be incredibly easy. To find your eco-friendly dream apartment, visit Apartments.com.
Apartments.com is the leading online apartment listing website, offering renters access to information on more than 1,000,000 available units for rent. Powered by CoStar, the Apartments.com network of sites includes Apartments.com, ApartmentFinder.com, ApartmentHomeLiving.com, Apartamentos.com, WestsideRentals.com, ForRent.com, ForRentUniversity.com, After55.com and CorporateHousing.com. Apartments.com is supported by the industry’s largest professional research team, which has visited and photographed over 400,000 properties nationwide. The team makes over one million calls each month to apartment owners and property managers, collecting and verifying current availabilities, rental rates, pet policies, fees, leasing incentives, concessions, and more. Apartments.com offers more rental listings than any other apartments website, and innovative features including a Polygon™ tool that allows users to define their own search areas on a map, and a “Plan Commute” feature that lets users search for rentals in proximity to a specific address. Apartments.com creates easy access to its listings through a responsive website and iOS and Android apps, and provides unmatched exposure for its advertisers through an intuitive name, strategic search engine placements and innovative emerging media. The Apartments.com network reaches millions of renters nationwide, driving both qualified traffic and highly engaged renters to leasing offices. For more information: www.Apartments.com.