MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Perfecto, a Perforce Software company and market leader in cloud-based automated mobile and web application testing solutions, today announced the release of its Summer 2019 Mobile & Web Test Coverage Index, which serves as a reference guide for DevOps teams, helping to inform cross-platform testing strategies that mitigate risk, identify which devices to test on and ensure consistent user experiences.
Providing analysis on market trends and user behaviors across 13 countries, the latest edition of the Mobile & Web Test Coverage Index also outlines the impact emerging trends like Artificial Intelligence (AI), 5G and foldable devices have on mobile and desktop web app development and testing. Formerly known as FACTORS, the Index utilizes internal and market data to help DevOps teams adequately prepare for the opportunities and challenges these trends present.
“Following several years of stagnation, the mobile market is finally beginning to experience a shift as user demand for more sophisticated technologies, like 5G, foldables and IoT devices, rapidly climbs,” said Eran Kinsbruner, Chief Evangelist at Perfecto. “The Summer 2019 Mobile & Web Test Coverage Index identifies these changes and provides teams with actionable advice. For example, how utilizing AI and machine learning (ML) for codeless test automation and smarter analytics/reporting helps accelerate velocity and deliver consistent, high-quality experiences.”
Consumer Adoption Rates and Market Trends Impact Testing Strategies
Over the last few years, adoption rates for new devices, operating systems (OSs) and web browsers have lagged. However, Perfecto’s Summer 2019 Mobile & Web Test Coverage Index found that more consumers are just now starting to adopt the latest versions of their preferred OS (e.g. Android and iOS) and smartphones in advance of these new technologies. Research from Gartner, Inc. validates this sentiment, with its recent report that found the device market is expected to grow in 2020.
With innovations in OSs (e.g. Android Q and iOS 13), foldable devices and 5G networks expected to dominate the market later this year, development teams should be prepared to deal with greater complexity, app instability and issues with automation compatibility. The Summer 2019 Index includes new mobile and web forecast calendars that offer actionable guidance for teams to proactively combat these expected challenges, like embedding AI and ML into test ecosystems to avoid flaky tests and operational fatigue.
Key Findings from the Summer 2019 Index
Additional key findings highlighted from the Summer 2019 Index include:
- Apple, Samsung and Google Pixel dominate the global mobile market; however, Android vendors Huawei and Xiaomi lead the charge in APAC and EMEA.
- The iPhone 7 is the most prominent smartphone across the market three years after it was launched; following its release last fall, the iPhone XS/XR/XS Max series are quickly catching up.
- The OS market is consolidating with the majority of devices running on Android Pie/Oreo or iOS 12.
- Web browser competition continues to be tight with Chrome, Firefox and Safari holding the top three spots.
- In China and India, there is a significant dominance of smartphones that are 6.00’’ screen size and larger. This is a clear difference compared to EMEA and NA where there is a more balanced mix between the screen size families.
For more information and to download the latest version of the Mobile & Web Test Coverage Index, please click here.
- Visit the Perfecto booth #10 at Quest 2019 in Chicago this week.
- Attend Eran Kinsbruner’s session “Cross-Browser Test Frameworks for Responsive and Progressive Web Apps” at Quest 2019 to learn more about the trends impacting mobile and web testing.
- Register for our May 22 webinar, “How to Develop a Cross-Platform Test Coverage Strategy.”
Perfecto is now a Perforce Software company. We enable exceptional digital experiences and help you strengthen every interaction with a quality-first approach for web and native apps through a cloud-based test environment called the Continuous Quality Lab. The CQ Lab is comprised of real devices and real end-user conditions, giving you the truest test environment available. More than 50 percent of the Fortune 500 companies across banking, insurance, retail, telecommunications, and media rely on Perfecto to deliver optimal mobile app functionality and end-user experiences, ensuring their brand’s reputation, establishing loyal customers, and continually attracting new users. For more information about Perfecto, visit www.perfecto.io, join our community follow us on Twitter at @PerfectoMobile.
Perforce powers innovation at unrivaled scale. With a portfolio of scalable DevOps solutions, we help modern enterprises overcome complex product development challenges by improving productivity, visibility, and security throughout the product lifecycle. Our portfolio includes solutions for Agile planning & ALM, API management, automated mobile and web testing, embeddable analytics, open source support, repository management, static & dynamic code analysis, version control, and more. With over 9,000 customers, Perforce is trusted by the world’s leading brands, including NVIDIA, Pixar, Scania, Ubisoft, and VMware. For more information, visit www.perforce.com.