DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Rheumatoid Arthritis: Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2027 reveal that although the RA market is expected to grow during the forecast period, this growth will be significantly tempered by biosimilar erosion.
The Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) market is expected to grow from $23.3bn in 2017 to $27.8bn in 2027 across the eight major markets (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Japan, and Australia) at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1.8%. Between 2017 and 2027, modest growth in the RA market will be driven primarily by the anticipated approval and launch of seven pipeline therapies.
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that, due to a complex interplay of environmental, immunological, and genetic factors, causes chronic inflammation and progressive deformity of the joints over time.
Over the last 20 years, the RA market has grown prodigiously with the introduction and continued development of biologic medicines. This includes blockbuster drugs such as Pfizer/Amgen's Enbrel (etanercept) and AbbVie's Humira (adalimumab), which in 2017, together claimed over 50% of the total RA market ($12.3bn).
However, in recent years, growth in the RA market has begun to slacken and will likely continue to slow as a result of biosimilar erosion. Over the forecast period, revenue from the biosimilar class is expected to increase from 1% to 22% of total sales, growing at a CAGR of 34.9%. The expansion of the small molecule JAK inhibitor class and other novel oral agents will play especially powerful roles in shaping the RA market of the future. During the forecast period, it is projected that throughout the 8MM (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Japan, and Australia), the JAK inhibitor class will grow at a CAGR of 7.9%.
Although the RA market is fairly mature, KOLs emphasized that there is still room for the standard of care to improve. Of particular note are the unmet needs for earlier diagnosis and treatment of the disease, more cost-effective medications, personalized strategies for treatment of active disease, and a better-defined approach to de-escalation of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) during remission.
Key Questions Answered
- How will biosimilar uptake differ cross the 8MM?
- What companies and drugs will be most affected by sales erosion from biosimilars?
- What are the main unmet needs in the RA market?
- How can the pharmaceutical industry address these needs?
- To what degree will the therapies under development fulfill these unmet needs?
- What are the main R&D trends in the RA market and which companies are leading the way?
- Are there major differences in the mechanisms of action used by therapies in late-stage versus early stage clinical development?
- Overview of RA including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Topline RA therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and major pipeline product sales in the forecast period.
- Key topics covered current treatment and pipeline therapies, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting RA therapeutics sales in the 8MM.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global RA therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to Buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies, using a detailed overview of current pipeline products and technologies to identify companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global RA therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global RA market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global RA therapeutics market from 2017-2027.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Key Topics Covered
1 Table of Contents
2 Rheumatoid Arthritis: Executive Summary
2.1 Biosimilar Erosion Will Temper Sales Growth in the RA Market from 2017-2027
2.2 Development of Novel Oral Agents and Biosimilars Are Popular R&D Strategies
2.3 Opportunities Remain for More Rapid, Targeted, and Cost-Effective Treatment for RA patients
2.4 Pipeline JAK1 Inhibitors Are Best Equipped to Penetrate the Crowded RA Market
2.5 What Do Physicians Think?
3.2 Related Reports
4 Disease Overview
4.3 Symptoms and Severity Classifications
5.1 Disease Background
5.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities
5.3 Global and Historical Trends
5.4 Forecast Methodology
5.5 Epidemiological Forecast for Rheumatoid Arthritis (2017-2027)
6 Disease Management
6.1 Diagnosis and Treatment Overview
7 Competitive Assessment
7.2 Biosimilars in the RA Market
8 Unmet Needs and Opportunity Assessment
8.2 Earlier Diagnosis and Treatment
8.3 Cost-Effective Therapies
8.4 Personalized Treatment Strategies
8.5 Improved Guidance on Treating RA Patients in Remission
9 Pipeline Assessment
9.2 Promising Drugs in Clinical Development
9.3 Other Drugs in Development
10 Current and Future Players
10.2 Trends in Corporate Strategy
10.3 Company Portfolio Assessments
11 Market Outlook
11.1 Global Markets
12.4 Primary Research - KOLs and Payers Interviewed for This Report
12.5 Primary Research - Prescriber Survey
- Abbvie Inc
- Pfizer Inc
- Amgen Inc
- Johnson & Johnson
- Merck & Co Inc/Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Co
- F Hoffman-La Roche Ltd
- Genentech Ltd
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co Ltd
- Biogen Inc
- Eli Lilly and Co
- UCB SA
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Astellas Pharma Inc
- Gilead Science Inc
- Galapagos NV
- Taisho Pharmaceutical Holdings Co Ltd
- Can-Fite BioPharma Ltd
- AstraZeneca Plc
- GlaxoSmithKline Plc
- Samsung Bioepis Co Ltd
- Celltrion Inc
- Sandoz Inc
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/ep2d8j