TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The vast majority of Canadian investors are concerned about climate change, says a new survey from the Responsible Investment Association (RIA).
The 2018 RIA Investor Opinion Survey, which is based on an Ipsos poll of 800 individual investors in Canada, found that 80% of respondents are concerned about climate change and the environment. It also found most investors view climate change as a financial issue: 70% of respondents believe climate change will have negative financial impacts on companies in some industries within the next five years, and 79% believe this to be true within twenty years.
Most investors recognize climate change also presents opportunities: 66% of respondents said they would like a portion of their portfolio to be invested in companies that are providing solutions to climate change and other environmental challenges.
The survey, sponsored by AGF Management Limited (AGF), also shows Canadians want their financial services providers to practice responsible investing: 86% of respondents agree that financial advisors and institutions should be knowledgeable about how environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks could affect their investments, and 81% would like their financial services provider to inform them about responsible investments that are aligned with their values.
“This research shows Canadian investors are serious about climate change and societal issues, and they want their financial services providers to take these things seriously as well,” said Dustyn Lanz, CEO of the Responsible Investment Association. “Canadian investors understand climate change presents financial risks, and they want to invest in responsible solutions. This highlights a very compelling opportunity for investment professionals.”
“As a leader in the development of sustainable investing initiatives, AGF is pleased to hear that Canadians are committed to investing in solutions that contribute to building a sustainable future,” said Kevin McCreadie, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Investment Officer, AGF. “We believe that integrating consideration of ESG factors into our investment decision-making and ownership practices will contribute to better investment outcomes for our clients – and this is true across all of our investment management teams.”
- 81% of respondents expressed concern about climate change, and respondents ranked environmental issues as the most important factor among E, S, and G issues.
- 73% of respondents believe it’s likely that climate change will create risks for the global economy within five years; this figure climbs to 81% over a twenty-year horizon.
- 70% of respondents believe climate change will have negative financial impacts on companies in some industries in the next five years; this number rises to 79% over the next twenty years.
- 66% of respondents would like a portion of their portfolio to be invested in companies providing solutions to climate change and environmental challenges.
- 86% of respondents agree that financial advisors and institutions should be knowledgeable about how ESG risks could affect their investments.
- 81% of respondents would like their financial services provider to inform them about responsible investments that are aligned with their values.
- 71% of respondents agree that companies with good ESG practices are better long-term investments. However, 81% of respondents know little or nothing about RI.
View the full report here: https://www.riacanada.ca/research/2018-ria-investor-opinion-survey/
About the Responsible Investment Association
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s industry association dedicated to responsible investment (RI). Members include mutual fund companies, financial institutions, asset management firms, advisors, consultants, investment research firms, asset owners, individual investors and others interested in RI. Our members believe that the incorporation of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into the selection and management of investments can provide superior risk adjusted returns and positive societal impact.
About AGF Management Limited
Founded in 1957, AGF Management Limited (AGF) is an independent and globally diverse asset management firm. AGF brings a disciplined approach to delivering excellence in investment management through its fundamental, quantitative, alternative and high-net-worth businesses focused on providing an exceptional client experience. AGF’s suite of investment solutions extends globally to a wide range of clients, from financial advisors and individual investors to institutional investors including pension plans, corporate plans, sovereign wealth funds and endowments and foundations.
AGF has investment operations and client servicing teams on the ground in North America, Europe and Asia. With nearly $38 billion in total assets under management, AGF serves more than one million investors. AGF trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol AGF.B.