BERKELEY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Life after college can be complicated. More than half of students struggle to find the right next step after graduation. And once graduates begin their careers, they’re likely to switch jobs dozens of times throughout their lives. How can higher education build new bridges between academia and the marketplace to better prepare students for an ever-changing economy?
A team of educators and leaders from two Chicago-based education companies, Experience Institute and Sage Corps, have teamed up to create Experience Lab, a new hybrid, 6-month post-college program. Through the program, students will gain real-world experience around the globe while learning interdisciplinary skills in trending roles. The first cohort will launch at UC Berkeley in Fall 2019.
"In line with our continued push to stay at the forefront of innovative higher-ed programming, we are proud to be the first university program worldwide to host Experience Lab as a post-bacc certificate program,” says Diana Wu, Dean of UC Berkeley Extension. “In combining world-class curriculum with impactful field experience, Experience Lab has created an exciting bridge to today's global workforce."
Experience Lab bridges curricular tracks in trending jobs with full-time Field Experiences alongside companies around the world.
Here’s how it works:
- Choose the curricular track that best aligns with your future career interest. Experience Lab’s first track is Content Development; new tracks will open throughout 2019 and 2020.
- Once accepted, you’ll begin online courses to prepare you for your Field Experiences.
- You’ll be paired with a Field Experience with one of hundreds of organizations—typically startups and companies where you can make an impact and take on more responsibility.
- Attend a one-week Meetup at UC Berkeley in September to meet your cohort; deepen your understanding of your track; and learn corollary skills in Human-Centered Design, Self-Awareness and Storytelling.
- Travel to your Field Experience and continue coursework online and through calls with a trained coach and peers.
- While in the field, you will explore your passions, make meaningful work contributions, be immersed in the city’s entrepreneurial and business ecosystem, meet brilliant people and gain timeless skills.
- You are eligible to earn a small stipend while at your Field Experience to help cover daily expenses.
- At the end of the program, you will receive coaching and support for your next career step.
- You’ll end with a certificate from The Experience Lab at UC Berkeley and greater confidence about where your skills and abilities fit in today’s marketplace—all at a fraction of the cost of a traditional post-college degree.
Application Deadline and Tuition
Applications and nominations are due April 15, 2019, for our Fall 2019 cohort. The discounted cost for the inaugural Experience Lab Fellowship is $15,000, plus additional costs for housing and travel medical insurance.
For more information visit explab.berkeley.edu or email email@example.com.
About UC Berkeley Extension
Founded in 1891, UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Today, Extension offers more than 2,000 courses each year, including online courses, along with more than 70 professional certificates and specialized programs of study. Free and low-cost public events are also frequently held as part of Extension’s service to the local community.