RENO, Nev.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--INTERBIKE – Booth #2341 – Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.’s Cycle Sports Division today introduces the new Pioneer® SBT91 Series Dual Leg and Single Leg Pedaling Monitor Power Meters compatible with the flagship Shimano® DURA-ACE® R9100 HOLLOWTECH® II crankset and the Pioneer SBT80 Series Dual Leg and Single Leg Pedaling Monitor Power Meters compatible with Shimano ULTEGRA® R8000 HOLLOWTECH® II crankset. The new 2018 power meters integrate advanced Bluetooth® Low Energy technology to support smartphone connectivity for riders to access Pioneer’s new Cyclo-Sphere Control smart device application created to simplify power meter set-up, maintenance and firmware updates. The app also offers the Live Pedaling feature that enables a rider to view Pioneer’s proprietary Pedaling Monitor power metrics, including force vectors, torque chart and pedaling efficiency in real-time on a compatible smart device, before only viewable on a Pioneer cycle computer. Integrated Bluetooth Smart Sensors transmit power metrics from the power meter to Bluetooth-enabled cycle computers, smart trainers and cycling programs such as Zwift®. The left arm chassis on the 2018 power meters has also been redesigned to increase bike compatibility, including Trek™ bicycles.
“When we entered the power meter industry five years ago, we disrupted the market with our innovation and quality. Our new platform advances our power meter eco-system with advanced connectivity and functionality,” said Russ Johnston, executive vice president of marketing and corporate communications for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “For 2018 we’re excited to enhance set-up, control and maintenance of our power meters by integrating Bluetooth connectivity and launching the companion Pioneer Cyclo-Sphere Control application for iOS and Android devices. Now calibrating your magnets, updating firmware, and more, is easy to access and maintain via an app on your smartphone. Plus, we added the Live Pedaling feature in the app so watching your force vectors or pedaling balance on your phone or even a large tablet is a breeze.”
NEW Technology Integrations
- In addition to the existing ANT+® connectivity, all 2018 Pioneer power meters are built with Bluetooth Low Energy for connectivity to smartphones and quick access to Pioneer’s Cyclo-Sphere Control application, and Bluetooth Smart Sensor for transmitting power meter data to Bluetooth-enabled cycle computers, smart trainers and cycling programs.
Pioneer’s new Cyclo-Sphere Control app is compatible with iPhones® and
Android™ devices and helps to simplify the installation and set-up
process of the power meter for the rider.1 Functions of the
app include control and manage pairing, mode switching, magnet
calibration, zero calibration, and firmware updates all on an
- The Live Pedaling feature in the application offers the rider the ability to see primary power metrics on the face of a compatible device. Pioneer’s cycle computer is no longer required to access and view Pioneer’s proprietary Pedaling Monitor power metrics and graphics, including Force Vector and Pedaling Efficiency. These metrics are now available in real-time on the screen of the rider’s smart device via Live Pedaling. The feature is ideal for riders’ training on an indoor trainer to utilize a second screen for detailed pedaling analysis or bike fit adjustments.
- Pioneer Pedaling Monitor Power Metrics, including Force Vector, Torque Chart and Pedaling Efficiency, are now available in real-time displays on the Wahoo Fitness™ ELEMNT and ELEMNT BOLT cycling computers.
- Every power meter is designed for IP66 and IP68 resistance rating for increased environmental defense against the intrusion of harmful water and dust.
- On the dual leg and single leg power meters and SBT-PMLTC Power Meter Kits, the left arm chassis has been redesigned to provide maximum bike compatibility, including Trek bicycles. The chassis weighs less than 62 grams on the dual leg power meter and less than 22 grams on the single left leg power meters.
SBT91 and SBT80 Series Dual Leg Power Meter Crankset
Pioneer’s Dual Leg Power Meter is the most advanced dual leg power meter system on the market, going beyond the standard ANT+ power metrics by measuring force in all directions at 30-degree intervals, 24 times per rotation, helping the rider develop pedaling balance and minimize power loss. When the power meter is combined with Pioneer’s new SGX-CA600 GPS Navigation Cycle Computer, riders have access to Pioneer’s proprietary Pedaling Monitor Power Metrics for enhanced power data and analysis. The Cycle Computer with the Dual Leg Power Meter enables the rider to see comprehensive performance analysis and highly-detailed data gathered from 24 points of measurement and displayed graphically in real-time on the display of the Cycle Computer, including Force Vectors and Torque Chart displays and Pedaling Efficiency metrics.
The SBT91 and SBT80 Series Dual Leg Power Meters are also compatible with ANT+ devices, including ANT+ sport watches. Riders with ANT+ computers will be able to see all ANT+ standardized power metrics supported by that computer including power, power balance, cadence, pedal smoothness, torque effectiveness, NP, IF and TSS®.
- Chain ring configurations: 53/39, 52/36, 50/34
- Arm length (in millimeters): 165, 170, 172.5, 175
The SBT91 and SBT80 Series Dual Leg Power Meters will be available in fall 2018 with suggested retail prices of $1,299.99 and $999.99 respectively.
SBT-LT91 and SBT-LT80 Series Single Leg Power Meter
- The SBT-LT91 and SBT-LT80 Series Single Leg Power Meters are a great starting point, with the option to expand into dual leg at a later time
- Power is measured every 30 degrees, 12 times per crank rotation.
- The ANT+ Single Leg Power Meter is compatible with ANT+ devices, including ANT+ sport watches. Riders with ANT+ computers will be able to see all ANT+ power metrics supported by that computer.
- Arm length (in millimeters): 165, 170, 172.5, 175
The SBT-LT91 and SBT-LT80 Series Single Leg Power Meters will be available in fall 2018 with suggested retail prices of $629.99 and $559.99 respectively.
Power Meter Kits
Dual Leg Power Meter Kits – The SBT-PM9100C Power Meter Kit is an affordable dual leg power meter solution for cyclists who already own compatible Shimano cranksets. The SBT-PM9100C works with DURA-ACE R9100 and ULTEGRA R8000 cranksets and enables cyclists to ride with power in a few easy steps. Once the SBT-PM9100C is purchased from an authorized retailer, the crankset is put in the box and shipped directly to Pioneer’s installation center where the advanced power meter technology is installed. Pioneer has been performing the ship, install, and return procedure for over four years and the efficient system facilitates a quick turnaround of the cyclist’s crankset with power meter. Installation and delivery are estimated to take between seven to 10 business days. Throughout the entire process, Pioneer keeps in constant communication with the dealer.
Compatible chain ring configurations:
- Dura -Ace R9100 – 55/42T, 54/42T, 53/39T, 52/36T, 50/34T
- Ultegra R8000 - 53/39T, 52/36T, 50/34T
- Compatible arm lengths (in millimeters): 165, 167.5, 170, 172.5, 175, 177.5, 180
- Available in fall 2018 with a suggested retail price of $799.99
Single Leg Power Meter Kits – For cyclists who already own a compatible DURA-ACE R9100 or ULTEGRA R8000 crankset, Pioneer offers the SBT-PMLTC left crank arm and SBT-PMRTC right drive side upgrade kits. The SBT-PMLTC and SBT-PMRTC kits are Pioneer’s most affordable entry into power and ideal for riders who want the option to upgrade to a Dual Leg Power Meter at a later date.
- SBT-PMLTC (left arm crank) will be available in fall 2018 with a suggested retail price of $499.99
- SBT-PMRTC (right drive side crank) will be available fall 2018 with a suggested retail price of $579.99
Additional Features (SBT91/SBT80)
- Four directional strain gauges and dual accelerometers per arm work together to precisely measure pedaling force, as well as Pioneer’s proprietary force direction and pedaling efficiency measurements
- Operation Temperature -10 to 50 degrees Celsius
- High accuracy thermal and voltage compensation
Two CR2032 batteries, user replaceable, 180-hour battery life – dual
- One battery on single leg
- Accuracy +/- 2%
- Comprehensive crankset model configurations (All chainring options: compact, mid-compact and standard, in all available arm lengths)
- Two-year limited warranty no extra charge
- Easy Pioneer Cyclo-Sphere Control app Bluetooth Low Energy set-up and maintenance
- Free Cyclo-Sphere Analysis app for iPhone for easy and quick after-ride analysis and ability to push ride data to popular rider sites like Strava and TrainingPeaks®
For more information on the new Pioneer systems, visit www.powerisking.com.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., headquartered in Torrance, Calif., is a preeminent manufacturer of leading-edge technology solutions for the mobile electronics aftermarket. Its affiliate Pioneer Automotive Technologies, Inc. (PAT) is a key supplier for Tier 1 automotive entertainment systems and components to vehicle manufactures. Pioneer is focused on creating the ultimate in-car entertainment experience with high performance audio and video components as well as connectivity with today’s smart devices. Building on more than 80 years of electronics experience, Pioneer has expanded into the cycle sports industry, designing world-class power meters and cycle computers for professional athletes and cycling enthusiasts.
1For a full list of Pioneer Cyclo-Sphere Control application devices, visit- www.powerisking.com. Application will be available for download in fall 2018.
PIONEER is a registered trademark of Pioneer Corporation.
Shimano DURA-ACE, ULTEGRA and HOLLOWTECH are registered trademarks of Shimano Inc.
Zwift is a registered trademark of Zwift, Inc.
iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries.
Android and other related marks are trademarks of Google LLC.
Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG Inc.
ANT+ is a registered trademark of Garmin Switzerland GmbH.
Trek is a registered trademark of Trek Bicycle Corporation.
TrainingPeaks and TSS are registered trademarks of Peaksware Inc. and used with permission. Learn more at http://www.trainingpeaks.com.