ROSEMONT, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Please replace the release with the following corrected version due to multiple revisions.
The corrected release reads:
US FOODS HITS THE FOOD RUNWAY WITH FALL SCOOP™ 2018
Lineup features 27 products to help restaurants introduce the right trends at the right time
US Foods Holding Corp. (NYSE: USFD) announced today the launch of Fall Scoop™ 2018 (Fall Scoop), introducing 27 innovative, versatile and fashion-forward products. Inspired by the intersection between food and fashion, US Foods created Fall Scoop under the banner of “Food Runway” and focuses on introducing the right trends at the right time. As part of the company’s “Great Food. Made Easy.” strategy, these products will ensure restaurant operators stay on the leading edge of dining trends and diner interests.
“Culinary trends are moving faster than ever, driven by social media, online reviews and diner feedback. When independent restaurant operators aren’t moving forward with the right trends at the right time, it’s easy to fall behind,” said Stacie Sopinka, senior vice president of product development and innovation, US Foods. “At US Foods, we make it easy for our operators to stay on trend and take the right steps forward with confidence. In Fall Scoop, we’re bringing the industry’s most influential trends to restaurants across the country by introducing an assortment of versatile products that blend function, innovation and fashion-forward form.”
The company has identified five key trends for the Fall Scoop lineup: authentic global flavors, vibrant colors, a celebration of vegetables, New World butchery and fine-dining 2.0.
Fifty-four percent of consumers want to try a novel global food1, and the National Restaurant Association named authentic ethnic cuisine as a top food trend for 20182. Fall Scoop features global flavors operators can easily bring to life in a new way. Highlights include:
- Monarch® Creamy Miso-Ginger Dressing: Made with miso paste imported from Japan, this dressing packs exotic, subtly spicy ginger notes and a wealth of versatility with the rich umami flavor. It’s easily used as a salad dressing, dipping sauce, marinade or glaze.
- Chef’s Line® All Natural* Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder in Achiote Sauce: Helping operators serve a traditionally labor-intensive Mexican classic, this slow-cooked pork shoulder features an achiote sauce made with traditional Mexican-style spices, including annatto seeds. It’s ideal for a torta ahogada sandwich or pork shoulder tacos.
- Chef’s Line Artisan Chia Ficelle Roll: Made using French bread-making techniques, the ficelle, (“string” in French) is known for its thin profile and is flecked with flavorful chia seeds throughout. It can be used as a unique sandwich carrier, table bread and more.
The saying “we eat with our eyes” has never been truer in the digital age. In fact, as of August 2018, approximately 290 million posts are tagged #food on Instagram3. Fall Scoop offers many bright, vibrant, colorful offerings that deliver both a visual and sensory thrill. Highlights include:
- Devonshire® Premium Black Raspberry Ombre Cake with Vanilla Icing: Featuring four layers of progressively darker-hued black raspberry cake framed by sweet vanilla icing and gem-like sugar beads, this cake serves on-trend flavor in a stunningly sculpted dessert that catches your eye.
- Molly’s Kitchen® Flamin’ Battered Onion Ring: With the heat of the sriracha outside and sweet onion inside, this vibrant red onion ring features no artificial colors and is the first flamin’ battered onion ring on the market.
- Cross Valley Farms® Tropical Fruit Blend: This bright and colorful tropical fruit blend serves up luscious and sweet dragon fruit, mango, pineapple, oranges and honeydew, with no prep work needed. Use it as a tropical salsa or spoon it over yogurt in a breakfast bowl for a pop of color and sweetness.
More than half of consumers say they are eating more fruits and vegetables than a year ago4. And as the popularity of plant-based nutrition grows, one in five Americans say they are consuming less dairy for health reasons5. Fall Scoop offers a variety of products that fit the vegetable-centric and dairy-free trends. Highlights include:
- Molly’s Kitchen Cornmeal-Breaded Green Tomato: Inspired by the regional southern trend, this versatile fried green tomato is now available nationwide. It features a cornmeal-crisp on the outside and a perfectly unripe tender inside that can be used in a variety of applications.
- Thirster® Sweetened Almondmilk Beverage: Free of dairy, lactose and soy, this almond milk is formulated to steam at high temperatures, making it appealing for frothy barista drinks and vegan replacements.
- Thirster Unsweetened Coconutmilk Beverage: Made from Non-GMO Project Verified coconuts, this coconut milk froths at high heat and works beautifully in everything from lattes and cocoa, to curries, soups, smoothies and more.
New World Butchery
Menu penetration for specialty prepped meat has soared over the past 10 years6. Fall Scoop offers meat innovation by introducing adventurous options that are reinventing traditional favorites. Highlights include:
- Chef’s Line All Natural* Bison and Pork Smoked Sausage Raised Without Antibiotics: Juicy and meaty with a rich, smoky flavor, this sausage is seasoned with a custom spice blend and smoked natural pork casing and contains no artificial ingredients.
- Metro Deli® All Natural* Soppressata Raised Without Antibiotics: Fermented and dry-aged, this artisan-made soppressata delivers mild and sweet authentic flavor and texture of southern-Italian style salami with no artificial ingredients.
- Stock Yards® All Natural* Pork Burger Raised Without Antibiotics: This take on the classic burger combines the rising popularity of nontraditional burgers and proteins raised without antibiotics for a new, versatile and cost-effective menu option with endless seasoning and flavor combinations.
Sixty-nine percent of consumers want more restaurants with a casual atmosphere and high-quality food7. Fall Scoop offers products inspired by classic ingredients with an elegant twist. Highlights include:
- Molly’s Kitchen Petite Pearls: These breaded pearl onions are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside for a “poppable” format to create an irresistible shared appetizer or topper for a cocktail.
- Chef’s Line Cookie Butter Tart: This buttery tart features a flaky bite filled with decadent speculoos (Belgian spice cookie) cookie butter for an ideal snack or after dinner dessert.
- Chef’s Line Smoked Maple and Bourbon Flavored Ice Cream with Praline Pecans: Only available through the fall season, this bourbon and maple syrup ice cream is infused with a maple syrup ribbon and gentle crunch of praline pecans and is made with a natural smoke flavor to complement the sweet taste of maple.
Clean Label Profiles
Fall Scoop also features US Foods’ Unpronounceables List™, an initiative aimed at producing products with simple, more recognizable ingredients by avoiding, removing or replacing ingredients and food additives found on the company’s new Unpronounceables List. US Foods’ Exclusive Brand products under Metro Deli, Chef’s Line, Stock Yards and Rykoff Sexton® brands will be produced without ingredients found on the company's Unpronounceables List, including artificial flavors, artificial (FD&C) colors, high-fructose corn syrup, disodium guanylate, sodium benzoate and monosodium glutamate.
US Foods Menu – Specialty Menu Capabilities
A restaurant’s menu is one of its most important marketing tools, so in addition to these new product offerings, Fall Scoop also features expanded US Foods Menu capabilities. The program is designed to test items’ popularity with diners, highlight the most profitable menu items, promote items based off menu type and show off featured items during peak times and seasons. The process is fast, efficient and cost-effective. Learn more about US Foods Menu at usfoods.com/menu.
For more on the full Fall Scoop lineup, visit us here.
About US Foods
US Foods is one of America’s great food companies and a leading foodservice distributor, partnering with approximately 250,000 restaurants and foodservice operators to help their businesses succeed. With 25,000 employees and more than 60 locations, US Foods provides its customers with a broad and innovative food offering and a comprehensive suite of e-commerce, technology and business solutions. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill. and generates approximately $24 billion in annual revenue. Visit www.usfoods.com to learn more.
1Datassential, 2National Restaurant Association, 3Instagram, 4Datassential, 5Mintel, 6Datassential, 7Mintel/Skift Table, 8Technomic
*Minimally processed, no artificial ingredients