BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Motus, the premier vehicle management and reimbursement platform, released its annual Workforce Mobility Benchmark Report, revealing key industry data on vehicle reimbursement programs and best practices that will help companies develop successful growth strategies to meet the needs of the growing mobile workforce. The 2018 report includes data from more than 2,000 companies spanning multiple industries – including food and beverage, manufacturing, retail, business and professional services and more – and drills into a variety of business vehicle programs, including company-provided (fleet) vehicles, cents-per-mile (CPM) reimbursement and vehicle allowances, as well as topics like business vehicle policies, driver safety and mileage tracking in the mobile workforce.
“Motus is committed to helping businesses understand the trends and leading best practices that enable the mobile workforce to perform their jobs every day,” said Ken Robinson, market research analyst for Motus. “The benchmark data collected in the survey helps businesses of all sizes and from all industries understand how the effectiveness of their vehicle programs compare to their peers and consider strategies they might not have before.”
Based on this year’s survey results, the top challenges facing businesses with mobile workers include cost control (26 percent), followed closely by risk and liability exposure (23 percent). The report also found that vehicle reimbursement programs are 32 percent less expensive than company-provided vehicles.
To help address these challenges, Motus brings advanced technology into the vehicle management space, enabling employers to reimburse their business drivers fairly and accurately, based on actual costs related to the business usage of their personal vehicles. Motus also offers its Driver Safety Solutions, which is a comprehensive suite of driver safety assessments, motor vehicle record checks, employee insurance verification, and individualized, web-based safety training and employee risk profiling that has enabled employers to reduce collision rates by 35 percent on average.
“As the workforce evolves, choosing the right vehicle program can be difficult for businesses with mobile workforces,” said Craig Powell, CEO of Motus. “The goal of this report is to make it easier for these businesses to make informed decisions about the methods they use to reimburse and support mobile workers. Motus can help companies overcome the challenges that are inherent with managing mobile workforces, and effectively handle new challenges to their vehicle programs as they arise.”
Additional findings in the 2018 Workforce Mobility Benchmark Report include:
- Mobile workers are driving more for business. In 2017, organizations reported the highest average business mileage of the past five years.
- There are many opportunities to improve driver safety. Seventy percent of organizations report requiring "minimum levels of auto insurance" for vehicle reimbursement programs, but only 55 percent "collect documentation to confirm that mobile workers have up-to-date insurance coverage.”
- Only 39 percent of companies use a reactive approach like "defensive driving courses" for employees with multiple Motor Vehicle Record infractions (traffic violations); 15 percent report "no consequences.”
- Company-provided vehicles remain the most expensive option - organizations report that fleet vehicles cost nearly 11 percent more than the average vehicle program spend per mobile worker.
- Use of automated mileage tracking is increasing. Organizations report a nine percent year-over-year increase in the use of GPS-verified mileage.
- Companies have limited visibility into field sales activities – only 22 percent of organizations "can quantify the work habits of top field sales performers.”
- More than one-third of organizations that have vehicle allowances have not reviewed their vehicle allowance amounts within the past six years.
To access the full report, please visit https://resources.motus.com/reports/motus-2018-mobile-workforce-benchmark-report.
Motus is the definitive leader in mileage reimbursement and driver management technologies for businesses with mobile workers and fleets of all sizes. Only Motus leverages deep insights captured across the world’s largest retained pool of drivers to calculate personalized and compliant vehicle reimbursements, keep drivers productive and safe, and ultimately maximize returns and minimize risk for all aspects of the mobile workforce. Motus expertise also underpins the annual Internal Revenue Service (IRS) business mileage standard, the amount an individual can deduct for business vehicle expenses. For more information about the company, please visit www.motus.com or connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.