WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Following is a statement by spokesman Nicholas Peters on behalf of Dr. Thomas E. Price, former Health and Human Services Secretary, in response to an audit by the HHS Office of Inspector General of the department’s travel expenses and accounting issued today:
"The following should be noted about the report:
- The IG did not interview Dr. Price, nor attempt to get an interview.
- Media coverage inaccurately states the report takes issue with Dr. Price’s actions. In fact, the report addresses overall functions of Department staff charged with administering travel.
- Deputy HHS Secretary Eric D. Hargan has confirmed today that: “As a matter of law none of the travel of former Secretary Price addressed in today’s HHS Inspector General Report was ‘unauthorized.’”
- There is no indication in the IG report that the paperwork and regulatory issues of Department staff were anything other than good faith mistakes.
- Dr. Price salutes the professional career staff of the Department for their tireless dedication to its critical mission on behalf of the American people."