SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN) – Prime Day has proven to be a huge growth opportunity for many small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) selling on Amazon. Last year, on Prime Day 2017, thousands of SMBs on Amazon had more than $50,000 in sales, which allowed them to grow their businesses, create new jobs, and invest in their communities. These SMBs have created more than an estimated 900,000 jobs globally. Prime Day 2018 starts on July 16th at 12:00pm PT/3:00pm ET, and customers can shop deals from small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon at amazon.com/primeday.
According to Amazon’s recently published Small Business Impact Report, more than 20,000 SMBs surpassed $1 million in sales on Amazon in 2017, thanks in part to Prime Day. The report also found that there are more than one million U.S.-based small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon, generating hundreds of thousands of jobs across the U.S. To view the full report, visit: aboutamazon.com/supporting-small-businesses.
“Prime Day helps SMBs reach more than 100 million paid Prime members around the world, and provides an opportunity for the smallest of businesses to sell right alongside the biggest household brands,” said Nicholas Denissen, VP Marketplace Business, Amazon. “In fact, Prime members ordered more than 40 million items from small and medium-sized businesses during Prime Day 2017, generating record-breaking success for those entrepreneurs.”
"With our small population and large geographic size, it can be difficult for Alaskan businesses to reach customers. That's why services like Fulfillment by Amazon and Prime Day are so important to Alaska's small businesses, especially in rural communities," said Jon Bittner, Executive Director, Alaska Small Business Development Center. "Without these programs, local small businesses would have a hard time achieving the same amount of growth, which translates into job creation and fuels the Alaskan economy."
Here’s what small businesses on Amazon are saying about Prime Day:
- “Thanks to Prime Day, we have been able to reinvest in our local community. In fact, we recently hired four new employees and opened a brick-and-mortar shop in Boston, MA.” – Michael Gebrael, CEO, Tea Forté
- “Prime Day is always a big day for us. Sales generated on Prime Day have helped us expand our team and move into a larger office space in New Jersey. In fact, since moving to our new space, we have already hired 10 new employees.” – Elena Castaneda, CEO, Bling Jewelry
- "Prime Day 2017 provided a sustained lift to our business, enabling us to expand operations at our factory and hire a number of new manufacturing employees." – Caron Proschan, CEO, Simply Gum
- “Prime Day 2017 was a big success for us as we skyrocketed up rankings to #1 Bestseller for Pet Supplies, which let us rapidly grow our team from 30 people to 60 people.” – Victor Chang, CEO, Furbo Dog Camera
- “Because of our success on Prime Day and our year-round participation in Fulfillment by Amazon, we have hired new local employees Tarpon Springs, FL.” – Theo Prodromitis, Owner, Spa Destinations
In addition to the jobs and investment created by these small and medium-sized businesses, Amazon itself is a major job creator and investor in communities around the globe. Since 2011, Amazon has invested over $150 billion worldwide, and created over 1.7 million direct and indirect jobs around the world. In 2017 alone, Amazon directly created more than 130,000 new jobs, not including acquisitions, bringing the company’s global employee base to over 560,000. To learn more about Amazon and the millions of small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon.com, visit www.amazon.com/about.
Every Day Made Better with Prime
Prime was designed to make your life better every single day. Over 100 million paid members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime, including shopping and entertainment. In the U.S. that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV episodes with Prime Video; unlimited access to Prime Music, Audible Channels for Prime, Prime Reading, Prime Photos, Twitch Prime; early access to select Lightning Deals, one free pre-released book a month with Amazon First Reads, and more. Prime members can also get deep discounts on select best-selling foods at Whole Foods Market plus an additional 10 percent off hundreds of sale items. Prime was built on the foundation of unlimited fast, free shipping and members receive Prime FREE One-Day Shipping and Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery in more than 8,000 cities and towns, two-hour delivery with Prime Now in more than 30 major cities and unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on more than 100 million items. Start a free trial of Amazon Prime at amazon.com/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.