LIBERTY LAKE, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Itron, Inc. (NASDAQ: ITRI), which is innovating the way utilities and cities manage energy and water, today announced the launch of the Itron Intelis gas meter. The new meter transforms the gas distribution network from the one-way gas delivery mechanism that has been a standard for decades to an interactive energy network delivering gas more safely and efﬁciently. Featuring embedded intelligence, the meter is designed to increase safety for utility personnel, end customers and communities by enabling safety shutoff at all service points in a timely manner, among other features. Itron will showcase the Intelis gas meter at the World Gas Conference in Washington, D.C. June 25-29, at booth 2611.
The Itron Intelis gas meter will operate in mobile mode and on the Itron OpenWay® Riva and Gen5 IoT networks to deliver near real-time data and post-processing analytics. The intelligent meters act as edge computing devices, each functioning in unison with other intelligent devices and applications on the network to deliver high-resolution data. In that way, critical decisions, such as for consumer safety, can be made proactively to avoid incidents or to respond rapidly after an incident occurs.
“Efficient and sustainable operations will be key to utilities’ long-term success – and technology will play an important role in this. The introduction of intelligent edge devices, such as Itron’s Intelis gas meter, will equip utilities to ensure safety and operational efficiency,” said Farah Saeed, research director at Frost & Sullivan.
The Itron Intelis gas meter is architected to protect consumer safety, provide operational savings and promote workforce protection:
- Excess Flow. Integrated flow measurement detects high-flow condition, automatically shutting off gas flow and sending an alarm to the utility.
- Meter Removal. Embedded air detection immediately recognizes meter removal, shutting off gas flow and sending an alarm to the utility.
- Fire Safety. Integrated temperature sensor detects extreme heat, shutting off gas flow and sending an alarm to the utility.
- Remote Service Shutoffs. Temporarily shuts off service for non-payment or move-outs.
- Primary and Secondary Index. Allows for comparison between temperature compensated and non-temperature compensated volume.
- Prioritized Truck Rolls. Allows proactive management of service shutoffs and reconnects and maintenance activities.
- Remote Control. Activate service safety shutoffs remotely from the home office or service vehicle.
- Enhance Employee Safety. Weighing just 4.5 pounds, the ergonomic meters afford maintenance crews easier shipping, storage and installation, reducing the occurrence of injuries due to handling.
“As we bring our first intelligent gas meter to utilities, we’ve incorporated our leading ERT® (Encoder Receiver Transmitter) technology into the meter, serving our mobile customers while bringing distributed intelligence to the edge of the network,” said Carl Porter, president of Itron’s Gas business line. “The new capabilities enable a truly intelligent, connected utility network that adds value beyond just meter automation to resourceful use and management of gas delivery.”
The Itron Intelis gas meter will be commercially available in Q4 2018 and will be compatible with the OpenWay Riva network. The meter will be available for the Gen 5 network in the second half of 2019. To learn more about the meter please visit Itron in booth 2611 at the World Gas Conference.
Itron enables utilities and cities to safely, securely and reliably deliver critical infrastructure services to communities in more than 100 countries. Our portfolio of smart networks, software, services, meters and sensors helps our customers better manage electricity, gas and water resources for the people they serve. By working with our customers to ensure their success, we help improve the quality of life, ensure the safety and promote the well-being of millions of people around the globe. Itron is dedicated to creating a more resourceful world. Join us: www.itron.com.
Itron®, OpenWay® and ERT® are registered trademarks of Itron, Inc. All third-party trademarks are property of their respective owners and any usage herein does not suggest or imply any relationship between Itron and the third party unless expressly stated.