DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "The Minibus Taxi, Bus Services & Metered Taxi Industry in South Africa 2018" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
The detailed report on South Africa's metered taxi, minibus taxi and bus and coach services industry discusses current conditions, new developments, challenges faced and factors influencing the success of the sector.
The report profiles 44 players in the bus and coach sector, including national companies Translux / City-to-City and Intercity Xpress, which also operates a Zimbabwe route. Profiles for 12 players in the metered taxi and e-hailing taxi sector are also provided and include Zebra Cabs which was acquired by taxi finance company, SA Taxi in 2015 with a view to expanding the business and competing against Uber.
According to the Southern African Bus Operators' Association (SABOA), public bus transport has suffered major underinvestment which has driven down the quality and effectiveness of services. Meanwhile the bus rapid transit (BRT) system which has been the recipient of billions of Rands, is underused and the R15bn Gauteng BRT has been described as a failure.
Although informal and largely unregulated, minibus taxis remain the most readily available and affordable mode of transport for the majority of South Africa's commuters. They are the primary travel mode for 69% of households and generate an estimated R120bn in fares annually.
According to the South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO), the taxi industry employs more than 600,000 people and transports 15 million commuters daily. There are more than 200,000 minibus taxis on the road and the average taxi travels 6,500 kilometres per month. Despite its importance, the industry remains privately-run and financed with no state support but has to compete with bus and train services that enjoy state subsidies.
- Amarosa Trading (Pty) Ltd
- Arrow Coaches CC
- Atamelang Bus Transport (Pty) Ltd
- Autopax Passenger Services SOC Ltd
- Brakpan Bus Company SOC Ltd
- Combined Transport Services (Pty) Ltd
- Cream Magenta 326 (Pty) Ltd
- Cullinan Holdings Ltd
- Duzi Bus Service (Pty) Ltd
- Eagle Radio Taxis (Pty) Ltd
- Elwierda (Stellenbosch) (Pty) Ltd
- Gauteng Coaches (Pty) Ltd
- GMTC Taxi Rides Company (Pty) Ltd
- Great North Transport (SOC) Ltd
- Hosken Passenger Logistics and Rail Ltd
- Ikhwezi Bus Service (Pty) Ltd
- Johannesburg Metropolitan Bus Services SOC Ltd
- KZN Bus Services (Pty) Ltd
- KZT Bus Services (Pty) Ltd
- KZT Country Cruiser (Pty) Ltd
- Maxi Drivers Association
- Mayibuye Transport Corporation
- Metro Bus Service (Pty) Ltd
- Midbank Bus Service (Pty) Ltd
- Mozzie Cabs (Pty) Ltd
- Northwest Star SOC Ltd
- Phola Coaches (Pty) Ltd
- Phumatra Transport Enterprise CC
- Piotrans (Pty) Ltd
- Stabus Tours (Pty) Ltd
- Tansnat Coachlines (Pty) Ltd
- Taxify South Africa (Pty) Ltd
- Thembalethu Bus Services (Pty) Ltd
- Uber Technologies Inc
- Unitrans Passenger (Pty) Ltd
Key Topics Covered
2. Description of the Industry
3. Size of the Industry
4. State of the Industry
5. Influencing Factors
7. SWOT Analysis
9. Industry Associations
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/ldsft6/south_african?w=4