BROOKLYN, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Brooklyn-based home retailer West Elm announced today that it will open its new Santa Monica store at 1427 4th Street on Thursday, June 7. The new 25,200 sq. ft. store, relocated from its neighboring 4th Street location, will test new retail concepts as a part of West Elm’s continued commitment to offering customers unique, locally-driven store experiences. West Elm Santa Monica will include community flex spaces designated for a Residency Program in which local artists and small businesses will ‘pop-in’ to develop product, teach workshops, and host events. The program will be inaugurated by two Santa Monica-based artists and businesses, Scott Coppersmith Designs and In My Solitude LA beginning June 7.
“We challenge ourselves to continually evolve our stores with new concepts that make meaningful contributions to the communities we call home,” said West Elm President Alex Bellos. “Our goal with the Residency Program is to help local artists and entrepreneurs grow their businesses by sharing our resources. We are proud to deepen our presence in Santa Monica, and open our new doors to participants by offering a creative retail space to incubate new ideas and connect with customers.”
The West Elm Santa Monica Residency Program will offer free retail and flex spaces to selected applicants, each versatile enough to accommodate different disciplines and types of businesses. The Santa Monica store will open with two purpose-driven, local businesses that will pilot the program including a gallery of Scott Coppersmith Designs’ showcasing a range of custom marquee signs made with recycled materials and reclaimed wood, as well as In My Solitude LA, a candlemaker harnessing aroma as a means of therapy specifically for cancer patients. Each residency will be unique in its offerings and will vary in length. Throughout the temporary residency, participants will be encouraged to share their creative process with customers, provide insight into their craft and host interactive workshops. To learn more about joining the Residency Program, please send an email to WestElmStores@wsgc.com.
West Elm Santa Monica will continue to expand its assortment of products made by California-based makers and designers through West Elm’s LOCAL program. Among the 26 local artists featured in the new store are:
- Andy Davis Designs (Way Way Out There, Inc.): Beach and surf-themed prints designed by artist and Southern California Surfer Andy Davis in Solana Beach
- Bossladies Magazine: A printed publication illustrating the growing, global community of creative women entrepreneurs published in Santa Monica
- Cardtorial: Journals and notebooks with covers handcrafted and laser cut from sustainable wood in Los Angeles
- DKNG Studios: Vintage-inspired prints featuring iconic objects illustrated in Los Angeles
- Eric Trine: Colorful, handmade geometric planters and pedestals crafted from steel in Long Beach
In addition to the community spaces and dedicated assortment of locally crafted products, the new Santa Monica store will offer amenities such as:
- Design Crew services, Williams-Sonoma, Inc.’s cross-brand design consultation program which pairs customers with experts who can provide design, installation and registry assistance
- A Bouqs Company Flower Shop offering customers a wide array of sustainably grown, farm fresh bouquets, also available on WestElm.com
- A public outdoor patio inviting customers and neighbors to gather and bask in the comfort of West Elm’s modern outdoor furnishings while enjoying wi-fi and community interaction
- Monthly programming including pop-ups, free workshops, and store-led events such as terrarium workshops and crafting classes
West Elm Santa Monica invites the community to celebrate the new store opening by participating in its grand opening activities including:
Grand Opening Party on Wednesday, June 13 from 6 - 8 p.m:
- Meet LA-based creatives Kelly and Jeff Mindell (Instagram: @jeffmindell), the couple behind Studio DIY (Instagram: @StudioDIY), the digital lifestyle brand known for its colorful content and products
- Snap photos on a Leesa mattress with an interactive photo booth provided by Leesa Sleep
- Enjoy live music by the locally based Ben Rose Band with cocktails and light bites from Heirloom LA
- Take home a complimentary flower bouquet from The Bouqs Company
- Shop for a good cause: A portion of the night’s proceeds will go to the 18th Street Art Center, the largest artist residency program in Southern California
- RSVP to the celebration by visiting: www.westelmsantamonica.splashthat.com
- Special edition West Elm Santa Monica tote bag: Beginning Thursday, June 7, and while supplies last, the first 300 shoppers with a $50 minimum purchase will receive a special edition West Elm Santa Monica tote bag.
For up-to-date information on in-store promotions and events, customers are encouraged to “like” the West Elm Santa Monica store on Facebook: www.facebook.com/westelmsantamonica and follow the store on Instagram: @westelmsantamonica. West Elm Santa Monica is open Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. The store’s address is 1427 4th St., Santa Monica, CA 90401 and the phone number is (310) 260-1073. Applicants interested in joining the West Elm Santa Monica team may send an email to WestElmStores@wsgc.com.
About West Elm
Headquartered in Brooklyn, NY since 2002, West Elm opened its first store in DUMBO, the neighborhood it still proudly calls home. With a mission of harnessing the power of design and human connection to enrich lives, everything West Elm does is designed to make an impact in everyday life, from creating unique, affordable designs for modern living and commitment to Fair Trade Certified, from LOCAL and handcrafted products to community-driven collaborations and events. The brand operates more than 100 retail stores as well as e-commerce websites in the United States, Australia, Canada and the UK, ships internationally to customers around the world, and has unaffiliated franchisees that operate stores in Mexico, Middle East, Philippines and South Korea. In addition to home furnishings retail, West Elm operates West Elm Workspace in the commercial furnishings industry and announced its expansion into the travel and hospitality industry with the launch of West Elm Hotels. West Elm publishes the blog Front+Main and is part of an active community on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and YouTube. West Elm is a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (NYSE:WSM) portfolio of brands.