NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Univision is set to finish as the No. 1 Spanish-language network in primetime for the 26th consecutive time during May 2018 Sweep and the 2017-2018 broadcast season, outperforming Telemundo by double-digit audience advantages among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. Univision will also finish as the No. 1 network during primetime, regardless of language, including NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox, among Hispanic Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Total Viewers 2+.
“UCI’s diversified and fresh content strategy coupled with the unparalleled trust we have with the communities we serve, continues to differentiate us from the competition,” said Jessica Rodriguez, president & chief operating officer, UCI Networks and chief marketing officer, UCI. “Whether it’s introducing new, innovative genres on UniMás like adventure reality ‘Reto 4 Elementos,’ or enabling family viewing with highly rated shows like ‘Papá a Toda Madre’ and ‘Todo Queda en Familia,’ we continue to position UCI as the destination of choice for in-culture entertainment.”
In the May 2018 sweep period, Univision’s programming continues to be at the center of family viewing time in Hispanic American homes, with the weeknight 8pm series “El Rico y Lazaro” outperforming Telemundo’s “Mi Familia Perfecta” by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+ (+80% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+51% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+62% adv.).
On weeknights at 9pm, “Papa A Toda Madre” and “La Tierra Prometida” have positioned Univision and UniMás as the No. 1 and No. 2 Spanish-language networks, respectively, outperforming Telemundo in the May 2018 sweeps among Total Viewers 2+.
- Univision’s “Papa A Toda Madre” is outperforming Telemundo’s “Al Otro Lado Del Muro” with double-digit audience advantages among Total Viewers 2+ (+21% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+21% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+32% adv.).
- UniMás’ “La Tierra Prometida” delivered 16% more Total Viewers 2+ than Telemundo’s “Al Otro Lado del Muro” and out-performing the CW network by double-digit margins (+27% adv.) in the same timeslot.
In weekend primetime, Univision also ranks as the No. 1 Spanish-language network during May 2018 sweeps with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo among Total Viewers 2+ (+71% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+69% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+85% adv.).
UCI’s portfolio of networks, including UniMás, Galavisión and Univision Deportes Network, is delivering a 67% audience share over the major Spanish-language competitors in primetime among Adults 18-49 during the May 2018 sweeps.
Additional Univision Network May 2018 Sweeps Highlights:
- Univision will finish as the fifth most-watched broadcast network in primetime, ahead of CW, with 1.5 million Total Viewers 2+, 641,000 Adults 18-49 and 269,000 Adults 18-34.
- Univision has out-delivered at least one or more of the English-language broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX) on four out of every six nights among Adults 18-34 and on nearly one out of every four nights among Adults 18-49.
- Univision’s primetime series, “El Rico y Lazaro,” “Papa A Toda Madre” and “Por Amar Sin Ley,” are averaging more Adult 18-49 viewers than first-run episodes of CBS’ “Ransom” and CW’s “Dynasty,” “iZombie,” “Life Sentence” and “The Hundred.”
- Univision’s season finale of “Pequeños Gigantes” reached 5.3 million Total Viewers 2+, who tuned-in to all or part of the two-hour broadcast on Sunday April 29, 2018. The telecast of the family-favorite show averaged 2.5 million Total Viewers 2+, 922,000 Adults 18-49 and 397,000 Adults 18-34, positioning Univision as the No. 1 Spanish-language network for the entire night with doubled the audience levels of Telemundo. “Pequeños Gigantes” also out-delivered Telemundo’s “Luis Miguel, La Serie” head-to-head in the Sunday 9pm hour with three times more Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-34, and two times more Adults 18-49. Season 3 of “Pequeños Gigantes” currently ranks as the No. 1 reality series in primetime among Hispanics, regardless of language, during the 2017/2018 season.
- Univision’s premiere of “Al Final Todo Queda En Familia,” hosted by Alan Tacher and Ximena Cordoba, reached 3.4 million Total Viewers 2+, who tuned-in to all or part of the two-hour broadcast on Sunday May 6, 2018. The family-oriented game show attracted 1.3 million Total Viewers 2+, 545,000 Adults 18-49 and 238,000 Adults 18-34, positioning Univision as the No. 1 Spanish-language network in the 8pm to 10pm time slot, as well as for the entire night with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo. “Al Final Todo Queda En Familia” also outperformed Telemundo’s biopic series, “Luis Miguel, La Serie” head-to-head in the 9pm hour by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+ (+67% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+32% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+67% adv.).
- In Clausura 2018, Liga MX on Univision averaged 491,000 Adults 18-49. The 2nd leg of the final between Toluca and Santos averaged 1.2 million Adults 18-49.
UniMás Network May 2018 Sweep Highlights:
UniMás’ programming continues to draw in audiences with its top-rated entertainment primetime show in the current 2017/2018 season, “La Tierra Prometida,” which averaged 1.3 million Total Viewers 2+, 478,000 Adults 18-49 and 197,000 Adults 18-34 during the May 2018 sweeps. The two-hour finale telecast of “La Tierra Prometida” that aired on Monday May 21, 2018 attracted 1.5 million Total Viewers 2+, 571,000 Adults 18-49 and 249,000 Adults 18-34 as well as outperformed Telemundo’s “Al Otro Lado Del Muro” head-to-head in the 9pm hour by double-digit margins across all three demographics. UniMás’ adventure reality competition series, “Reto 4 Elementos Naturaleza Extrema,” is averaging 505,000 Total Viewers 2+, 269,000 Adults 18-49 and 114,000 Adults 18-34. Airing Monday to Thursday 10pm to 12am, “Reto 4 Elementos Naturaleza Extrema” has delivered more Total Viewers 2+ (+65%), Adults 18-49 (+72%) and Adults 18-34 (+97%) to the network’s time period versus comparable nights in the May 2017 sweeps.
Additional UniMás Highlights:
- UniMás is delivering 710,000 Total Viewers 2+, 297,000 Adults 18-49 and 122,000 Adults 18-34 during primetime.
- UniMás is averaging two times more Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 than the combined audience of Azteca and Estrella TV in primetime.
- UniMás has a larger Adult 18-49 audience composition than the Big Four English-language broadcast networks during primetime (42%) and total day (43%).
Source: Nielsen, NPM (04/26/2018-05/06/2018, Live+7) and (05/07/2018-05/21/2018, Live+SD) Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm. Total number of nights that Univision out-delivered the English-language broadcast networks based on Live+SD. Percent Audience Share over the major Spanish-language competitors in primetime based on the sum of impressions across Univision, UniMas, Galavision, Univision Deportes, Telemundo and Universo. Reach for Pequeños Gigantes based on Fast Cume, 1+ minutes qualified audience (short-term and long-term visitors included). Broadcast Season based on (09/25/2017-05/06/2018, Live+7) and (05/07/2018-05/21/2018, Live+SD) Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm. NPM, L+SD data, Clausura 2018, Liga MX on Univision
- Galavisión was the No. 1 Spanish-language cable entertainment network among Adults & Women 18-49 in Early Fringe, SL Prime, Late Fringe, Weekend Daytime and Total Day.
- +98% advantage over its nearest competitor (DSE) in Total Day and +142% advantage in Spanish-language prime among Adults 18-49.
- Galavisión saw year-over-year audience growth in Early Fringe (+29%), Spanish-language prime (+15%), Late Fringe (+11%) and Total Day (+4%) among Adults 18-49.
- Galavisión is the youngest Spanish-language cable entertainment network with a median age of 36.
- Forty-nine of the top 50 Spanish-language cable entertainment programs among Adults 18-49 live on Galavisión.
Source: Nielsen NPM Most Current (04/26/2018-05/21/2018, 04/27/2017-05/22/2017) excludes sports, breakouts, sustainers. Early Fringe (Mon-Fri 3pm-7pm), SL Prime (Mon-Sun 7pm-11pm), Weekend Daytime (Sat-Sun 9:30am-7pm) and Total Day (Mon-Sun 7am-2am). Spanish Language cable entertainment networks include: Cine Latino, Discovery en Espanol, Discover Familia and Universo. Median Age based on Persons 2+ SL Prime Mon-Sun 7P-11P. Top programs exclude single telecasts and sports M-Su 7am-2am.
About Univision Communications Inc.
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) is the leading media company serving Hispanic America. The Company, a chief content creator in the U.S., includes Univision Network, one of the top networks in the U.S. regardless of language and the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the country, available in approximately 88% of U.S. Hispanic television households; UniMás, a leading Spanish-language broadcast television network available in approximately 82% of U.S. Hispanic television households; Univision Cable Networks, including Galavisión, the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language entertainment cable network, as well as UDN (Univision Deportes Network), the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language sports cable network, Univision tlnovelas, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to telenovelas, ForoTV, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to international news, and an additional suite of cable offerings - De Película, De Película Clásico, Bandamax, Ritmoson and Telehit; an investment in El Rey Network, a general entertainment English-language cable network; Univision Local Media, which owns and/or operates 63 television stations and 58 radio stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; Univision Now, a direct-to-consumer, on demand and live streaming subscription service; Univision.com, the most-visited Spanish-language website among U.S. Hispanics; and Uforia, a music application featuring multimedia music content. The Company also includes assets that serve young, diverse audiences. This includes news and lifestyle English-language cable network FUSION TV and a collection of leading digital brands that span a range of categories: technology (Gizmodo), sports (Deadspin), lifestyle (Lifehacker), modern women’s interests (Jezebel), news and politics (Splinter), African American news and culture (The Root), gaming (Kotaku), Environment (Earther), and car culture (Jalopnik). Additionally, UCI has ownership in comedy and news satire brands The Onion, Clickhole, The A.V. Club and The Takeout. Headquartered in New York City, UCI has content creation facilities and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States. For more information, please visit corporate.univision.com.