COLUMBUS, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Four Hexion Inc. (“Hexion” or the “Company”) programs and 18 sites were recently named Responsible Care® award winners and honored for excellence in environmental, health, safety and security performance by the American Chemical Council (ACC).
“This is a great honor and a testament to Hexion’s commitment to sustainability and safety as a core value,” said Craig Rogerson, Chairman, President and CEO, Hexion. “As an organization, we are enthusiastic supporters of Responsible Care and are committed to best practices related to sustainability and safety in the U.S. and at our facilities around the globe.”
The ACC honored the following Hexion sites and programs at the 2018 Responsible Care Conference & Expo:
- Product Safety Award: Hexion’s Waterborne Epoxy Resin Technology (EPI-REZ™ Resins & EPIKURE™ Curing Agents) products were recognized for continuous improvement in chemical product safety. EPI-REZ™ waterborne epoxy resins, when properly formulated, perform at levels consistent with solvent-borne technologies while reducing VOCs, which enhances worker safety. EPI-REZ epoxy resins are easily adjusted with water, making these systems highly adaptable. Water-based wetting agents, additives, co-solvents and coupling agents can be added easily to speed drying, enhance corrosion resistance, increase adhesion, and extend pot life.
- Energy Efficiency: The Company’s Springfield, Oregon, site was recognized for its energy efficiency improvements focused specifically on its formaldehyde production unit. Equipment upgrades and other operating improvements significantly reduced natural gas consumption and improved the site’s overall fuel efficiency.
- Waste Minimization Reuse and Recycling: Hexion’s Morganton, North Carolina, facility significantly reduced non-hazardous waste volume generation and disposal from the site. A cross-functional team drove a 52% reduction in wastewater generation in 2017 compared to 2016. In addition, at the Company’s Geismar, Louisiana, facility, modifications were made that included installation of a new pipeline, which eliminated the need for inter-plant product transfers by truck and served as a source of rainwater collection. In 2017, as result of this pipeline, captured rainwater utilization increased tenfold and fuel usage and truck emissions were significantly lowered.
Facility Safety Awards: ACC
presented the Responsible Care Facility Safety Award to member
companies with significant achievements in employee health and safety
performance. In total, 18 of the Company’s sites received this
- Excellence: Acme, NC; Alexandria, LA; Diboll, TX; Hope, AR; La Grande, OR; Missoula, MT; Moreau, NY; Morganton, NC; and Lakeland, FL.
- Honor: Fayetteville, NC; and Sheboygan, WI.
- Achievement: Geismar, TX; Springfield, OR; Argo, IL; Deer Park, TX; Brady, TX; Shreveport, LA; and Louisville, KY.
This year’s conference also marks the 30th Anniversary of Responsible Care in the United States. Since 1988, Responsible Care has helped ACC member and Partner companies significantly enhance their performance and improve the health and safety of their employees, the communities in which they operate and the environment as a whole. In addition, many sites within Hexion’s global manufacturing network have achieved additional certifications, including ISO 9001 (Quality Management System), ISO 14001 (Environmental Management System), and OHSAS 18001 (Health and Safety Management System).
About the Company
Based in Columbus, Ohio, Hexion Inc. is a global leader in thermoset resins. Hexion Inc. serves the global wood and industrial markets through a broad range of thermoset technologies, specialty products and technical support for customers in a diverse range of applications and industries. Hexion Inc. is controlled by investment funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC. Additional information about Hexion Inc. and its products is available at www.hexion.com.