SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--This Mother’s Day, Bumble Bee Seafoods, North America’s premium seafood company, is teaming up with registered dietitians, Willow Jarosh and Stephanie Clarke of C&J Nutrition, authors of the new Healthy, Happy Pregnancy Cookbook, to help families learn more about the benefits of eating seafood, and share quick and easy ways to enjoy more fish at home or on the go.
Seafood is an important source of protein for moms, moms-to-be and their families but, according to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, most consumers – including pregnant women – are not eating enough each week. Per the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, families are recommended to eat two to three servings or up to 12 ounces of seafood each week to receive maximum health benefits.
“As a new mom, I know first-hand that women are often told what not to eat when they’re expecting. So, it’s important to remind women what they can and should be eating during and after pregnancy, including nutrient-rich seafood,” said Willow Jarosh, MS, RD, CDN. “Seafood, like albacore tuna, offers a wealth of nutritional benefits, such as protein and omega-3 fatty acids, and important vitamins and minerals like Vitamin D, iron and selenium, which are good for the whole family.”
With tips and recipes from Willow and Stephanie, new and expecting moms can start to enjoy more seafood at home with their families.
- Make it a Bowl. Get creative and personalize mealtime by making your own bowls at home. Start with your favorite whole grain as a base, layer with seafood and veggies, then let your family pick and choose flavorful toppings like guacamole or teriyaki sauce.
- Protein Swap. If your family has a go-to meal they love (and repeat all the time), try substituting the protein with fish. Make seafood the main dish with shrimp tacos, salmon burgers, or loaded tuna nachos.
- Customize Meals. Make salmon salad or tuna salad for lunch, then let your family pick how to enjoy it. Try it on whole grain tortillas, on toast, crackers, or cucumber slices, with butter lettuce cups, or cooked whole grains. It’s perfect for accommodating individual tastes without extra fuss.
- Add Spices. Getting creative with spices can really liven up seafood dishes and pack a flavorful punch. Consider a seasoning blend like Italian, Mexican or the Middle Eastern herb mix Za’atar for bold flavor.
- Cook as a Family. When kids get involved in the prep and cooking of a meal, they’re more open to trying new foods. Teach your kids how to sauté veggies for a stir fry, stack the perfect tuna sandwiches, or roll sushi!
- Tuna to Go. Lean protein options for lunch or on-the-go have never been easier with Bumble Bee® Seasoned Tuna Pouches. Enjoy deliciously seasoned tuna straight from the pouch with a convenient spoon that’s included right in the pouch!
This Mother’s Day, start cooking together and visit www.bumblebee.com/mothers-day to find family-friendly, nutritious seafood recipes you can enjoy tonight.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
Bumble Bee Foods, LLC, headquartered in San Diego, is North America’s largest branded shelf-stable seafood company, offering a full line of canned and pouched tuna, salmon, sardine and specialty protein products marketed in the U.S. under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®, and in Canada under the Clover Leaf® brand.
Bumble Bee's mission is to provide healthy and nutritious products and meal solutions that are sourced sustainably. The company actively promotes the responsible stewardship of global fisheries resources and is a founder of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) — a global partnership of scientists, tuna processors and WWF, the global conservation organization.
For more information on Bumble Bee Seafoods, visit www.BumbleBee.com. Join fans of Bumble Bee and healthy living at www.facebook.com/BumbleBeeSeafoods and follow us on Twitter @BumbleBeeFoods, Pinterest www.pinterest.com/BumbleBeeFoods and Instagram @BumbleBeeFoods.
About C&J Nutrition
Stephanie Clarke and Willow Jarosh are registered dietitians and the duo behind C&J Nutrition, a New York, NY and Washington, D.C. based nutrition consulting and communications company. Stephanie and Willow are food and nutrition experts for the media, featured regularly in health and lifestyle magazines, TV and web shows, and professional journals. They work with the food industry and numerous wellness brands to help communicate accurate and up-to-date nutrition information. They have developed plans and recipes for numerous best-selling diet books, including SELF magazine’s Drop 10 Diet Cookbook and The Sugar Smart Diet by Anne Alexander of Prevention magazine, and create the meal plans for PopSugar's ongoing Clean Eating program and app. In addition, they're the nutrition bloggers behind Bumble Bee Seafoods' Bee Nutritious blog. The duo’s own cookbook, Healthy, Happy Pregnancy Cookbook, was released in September 2016. For more information, visit www.cjnutrition.com.