HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Reliant’s crowdsourced charitable-giving program, Reliant Gives, is launching its spring 2018 campaign presenting three deserving Texas nonprofits, CASA of Collin County, The Rose and SIRE, with the opportunity to receive a donation of $100,000.
The Reliant Gives program, now in its sixth round, is championed by employees that nominate and select three nonprofits as finalists. The charity with the most votes at the end of the voting period will receive a $100,000 donation, and the other two will receive $20,000 and $10,000, respectively, based on the number of votes earned. This round is extra special because it coincides with positiveNRG Week – the weeklong initiative from NRG, Reliant’s parent company, which encourages employees to dedicate their time to nonprofits across the U.S. through hands-on volunteering activations.
“It’s in our DNA to help in the communities where we live and work, and Reliant Gives enables us to do just that by making a meaningful impact for nonprofits across Texas,” said Elizabeth Killinger, president, Reliant. “I hope everyone will take time to learn about these three wonderful organizations and vote to make a difference for CASA of Collin County, The Rose and SIRE.”
To date, Reliant Gives has donated a total of $590,000 to 15 deserving nonprofits since the program launched in the spring of 2016.
Drum roll, please! The Reliant Gives finalists are:
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Collin County: This Dallas-area nonprofit advocates for the best interest of children in foster care in and around Collin County. Since 1994, they have served 100 percent of the abused and neglected children removed from their homes in the area. As the child’s official voice in court, CASA works tirelessly to ensure the child (and their parents) receives the services needed and the child’s case moves through the system as quickly as possible.
- The Rose: Since 1986, this Houston-based nonprofit has reduced deaths from breast cancer by providing access to screening, diagnostics and treatment services to more than 500,000 women, regardless of their ability to pay. The Rose is now the leading nonprofit focused on breast health care in southeast Texas.
- SIRE (Self-Improvement Thru Riding Education): The Houston-based organization is dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with special needs through therapeutic horsemanship activities and therapies, as well as educational outreach. SIRE serves more than 285 clients weekly with over 25 horses at three sites across the greater Houston area.
Cast your vote:
Voting opens online Monday, April 30 at 12 p.m. CT and ends Sunday, May 6 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with the results announced Thursday, May 10.
Supporters are asked to visit reliant.com/vote and select which organization they would like to vote for. A new voting system has been put in place to encourage nonprofits to engage a wide supporter base and spread the news of public voting. Voters will need to provide their mobile phone number and votes can be cast once per day. Phone numbers will only be used to verify voting for Reliant Gives.
Beyond Reliant Gives, Reliant supports local communities throughout the year through volunteerism, charitable giving and partnerships. In 2017, the company donated over $4 million to various organizations across the state, and Reliant employees supported more than 100 nonprofits with nearly 8,000 volunteer hours.
Carrying this momentum into 2018 during positiveNRG Week, Reliant employees will roll up their sleeves the week of May 7-11 and volunteer with the following organizations in Texas:
- Dress for Success Houston
- Friends for Life
- Houston Food Bank
- Houston Wilderness Inc.
- Junior Achievement of Southeast Texas
- Kids’ Meals
- March of Dimes
- Metrocrest Services
- Operation Kindness
- Urban Harvest
- YMCA of Greater Houston - Harriet & Joe Foster Family Center
About Reliant, an NRG company
Reliant powers, protects and simplifies life by bringing electricity, smart energy solutions, residential services and security to homes and businesses across Texas. Serving customers and the community is at the core of what we do. Reliant is part of NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NRG), a Fortune 500 company that creates value through best-in-class operations and reliable and efficient electric generation. Backed by a diverse portfolio of power generating facilities, NRG’s retail companies, including Reliant, power almost 3 million customers in 10 states and the District of Columbia. NRG retail brands collectively are the largest providers of electricity in Texas. For more information about Reliant, please visit reliant.com and connect with Reliant on Facebook at facebook.com/reliantenergy and Twitter @reliantenergy. PUCT Certificate #10007.