SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Despite a volatile market and regulatory uncertainty, investors and consumers will continue to buy more cryptocurrencies this year, according to SharesPost’s First Annual Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Survey.
“The clear takeaway from our first annual cryptocurrency survey is that consumers and investors are bullish about digital currencies,” said Rohit Kulkarni, Managing Director and Head of Research of SharesPost, Inc. “They believe widespread adoption of cryptocurrency will be a near-term reality. The positive sentiment about digital currencies suggests a fundamental shift in thinking about the way people interact with the financial system.”
Among the findings from SharesPost’s survey:
- Cryptocurrency holdings will increase in 2018. More than two-thirds of current cryptocurrency owners surveyed plan to increase their holdings. Twenty-one percent of consumers will purchase their first cryptocurrencies over the next 12 months.
- Regulatory concerns are not deterring investment in cryptocurrency. Investors and consumers believe Ethereum, Bitcoin, and XRP/Ripple are best positioned for long-term success.
- Blockchain technology will disrupt Fintech in the near future. Investors believe Blockchain will challenge companies in money transfer, payments and asset management over the next few years.
- Digital currencies will go mainstream by 2025. More than 60% of consumers and investors believe the public will widely adopt cryptocurrencies by the end of 2025. However, 28% of the respondents didn’t have such a strong opinion about the future of cryptocurrencies or believe that they will never go mainstream.
- Security and convenience are top areas for improvement. One-third of those surveyed said more people will adopt cryptocurrencies if they can be used at banks and ATMs. Growing cyber attacks on crypto exchanges and volatility in value were also cited as top concerns.
- More Blockchain education is needed. Almost half of the consumers and investors said a lack of familiarity with Blockchain prevents people from investing in the technology. Respondents also said that the technology remains fairly unproven.
The SharesPost online survey was conducted during January and February of 2018 and included responses from more than 2,300 consumers and more than 100 individual accredited investors.
For more information about cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology, please see our most recent report, Decrypting Blockchain: Unlocking The Internet Of Value. To view a complete list of SharesPost research reports, click here.
About SharesPost, Inc.
SharesPost is an SEC-registered broker-dealer, investment advisor and an approved Alternative Trading System. SharesPost helped launch the private tech growth market in 2009 and has built one of the leading platforms for secondary transactions and Initial Coin Offerings pursuant to Reg. D. SharesPost provides the private tech asset category with a suite of trading and lending solutions to facilitate shareholder and option holder liquidity. With nearly $3 billion in secondary market transactions for more than 200 leading technology companies, SharesPost provides the trading, research and online tools to transact in the private market with confidence. For information, visit sharespost.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
The matters described herein contain forward-looking statements. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements about research on late-stage, venture-backed companies. We caution that these statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties or other factors beyond SharesPost’s control. These factors include, but are not limited to, factors detailed in the white paper. We undertake no obligation to release any revisions to any forward-looking statements.