ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Walmart today announced it expects to spend an estimated $200 million over the next year in Florida through the opening and remodeling of 43 stores as well as the rollout of several in-store and online innovations designed to help busy customers save time and money. The spend is part of Walmart’s total capital expenditures guidance of approximately $11.0 billion for Fiscal Year 2019, which was outlined last October at the company’s annual meeting for the investment community and reiterated in February 2018.
Walmart recently reported strong comp sales growth of 2.1% for the fiscal year ending Jan. 31, 2018, indicating customers are responding well to the company’s business strategy. The plan is to continue improving stores and accelerating innovation during the coming year to make shopping faster and easier for customers in Florida.
“Making every day easier for busy families is at the forefront of everything we’re doing as a company,” said Elise Vasquez-Warner, a vice president and regional general manager for Walmart in Florida. “Customers have told us they want the convenience of shopping how, when and where they want. And, here in Florida, we’ll achieve that by building off the momentum we had last year, accelerating the rollout of customer-centered innovations, creating more than 1,000 jobs this year alone, and maintaining a sharp focus on improving our store experience.”
2018 Walmart New Store Construction and Remodels in Florida
Walmart plans to build and remodel stores in the following locations:
Grand Openings (see addendum below for complete list of stores)*
- Central Florida (1)
- Jacksonville (2)
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale (3)
*Walmart will also open a new Distribution Center in the City of Cocoa later this year.
Remodels (see addendum below for complete list of stores)
- Central Florida (12)
- Jacksonville (3)
- Panhandle (1)
- Southwest Florida (1)
- Tampa Bay (12)
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale (4)
- West Palm Beach (4)
“Walmart’s continued investment in communities across Florida plays a key role in job creation and economic development. By building on their innovation plans, Walmart’s commitment to strengthening their footprint in Florida is to be commended,” said Mark Wilson, President and CEO of the Florida Chamber of Commerce.
2018 Walmart In-store and Online Innovations in Florida
Walmart continues to innovate how it serves customers, helping them save time and money by creating a seamless shopping experience that empowers customers to shop when, where and how they want.
In addition to continuing to test new technologies that transform how customers shop, Walmart plans to expand several innovative services that deliver greater convenience and faster services, including:
(1) Online Grocery Pickup
- Florida customers can order Walmart groceries online and pick them up without ever having to unbuckle their seatbelts. The service is free and prices through Walmart Online Grocery are the same as in-store.
- Walmart currently offers Grocery Pickup at more than 100 Florida locations and plans to roll-out approximately 80 new Grocery Pickup locations at area stores in the coming year.
- Walmart Online Grocery Pickup—How it works.
(2) Mobile Express Scan & Go
- Walmart offers Mobile Express Scan & Go in select markets which allows customers to scan items with their mobile devices while shopping in store, pay instantly and skip the checkout line. Customers can download the Walmart Scan & Go app from iTunes or the Google Play store.
- Mobile Express Scan & Go is currently offered at all 49 Florida Sam’s Clubs and was recently launched at more than 10 Florida Walmart stores. Walmart will continue evaluating opportunities to expand the service to more local customers in the coming year.
- Walmart Mobile Express Scan & Go video here: https://youtu.be/NHzfhDDRgME
(3) Walmart Pickup Towers
- Much like a high-tech vending machine, the Walmart Pickup Tower allows customers to pick up their online orders in less than a minute by scanning a bar code sent to their smartphone. To use the tower, customers simply choose from millions of items available on Walmart.com and select the Pickup option at checkout.
- Pickup Tower service is currently available at more than 15 Florida Walmart stores. Walmart will continue evaluating opportunities to expand the Pickup Tower service to Florida customers in the coming year.
- Walmart Pickup Tower video here: https://youtu.be/X4c951tg9TM
Walmart Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better - anytime and anywhere - in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, over 270 million customers and members visit our more than 11,700 stores under 65 banners in 28 countries and eCommerce websites. With fiscal year 2018 revenue of $500.3 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.
Florida 2018 Grand Openings
- Apopka Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Jacksonville Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Jacksonville Walmart Supercenter
- Miami (Coral Way West) Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Naranja Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Pompano Walmart Neighborhood Market
Florida 2018 Remodels
- Altamonte Springs Discount Store, 200 S. State Road 434
- Apopka Walmart Supercenter, 1700 S. Orange Blossom Trail
- Clermont Walmart Supercenter, 1450 Johns Lake Road
- Kissimmee Walmart Neighborhood Market, 3183 W. Vine St.
- Ocala Walmart Supercenter, 9570 S.W. Highway 200
- Ocala Walmart Supercenter, 2600 S.W. 19th Avenue Road
- Ocala Walmart Supercenter, 4980 E. Silver Springs Blvd.
- Orlando Walmart Neighborhood Market, 12550 S. Orange Blossom Trail
- Orlando Walmart Neighborhood Market, 201 S. Chickasaw Trail
- Orlando Walmart Neighborhood Market, 2271 N. Semoran Blvd.
- Oviedo Walmart Supercenter, 5511 Deep Lake Road
- Summerfield Walmart Supercenter, 17961 S. U.S. Highway 441
- Jacksonville Walmart Supercenter, 8808 Beach Blvd.
- Jacksonville Walmart Supercenter, 10991 San Jose Blvd., Suite 1
- Jacksonville Walmart Supercenter, 9890 Hutchinson Park Drive
- Coconut Creek Walmart Supercenter, 5571 W. Hillsboro Blvd.
- Doral Walmart Supercenter, 8651 N.W. 13th Terrace
- Hialeah Gardens Walmart Neighborhood Market, 11800 Hialeah Gardens Blvd.
- Miami Walmart Supercenter, 8400 Coral Way
- Lynn Haven Walmart Supercenter, 2101 S. Highway 77
- Naples Walmart Supercenter, 5420 Juliet Blvd.
- Clearwater Walmart Neighborhood Market, 2171 Gulf to Bay Blvd., Building 10
- Gibsonton Walmart Supercenter, 9205 Gibsonton Drive
- Haines City Walmart Supercenter, 36205 U.S. Highway 27
- Pinellas Park Walmart Supercenter, 8001 U.S. Highway 19 N.
- Port Richey Walmart Supercenter, 8701 U.S. Highway 19
- Sarasota Walmart Supercenter, 4381 Cattlemen Road
- Sebring Walmart Supercenter, 3525 U.S. Highway 27 N.
- Spring Hill Walmart Supercenter, 1485 Commercial Way
- Tampa Walmart Discount Store, 7011 W. Waters Ave.
- Tampa Walmart Neighborhood Market, 6216 Elliot Drive
- Tampa Walmart Supercenter, 4302 W. Gandy Blvd.
- Tampa Walmart Supercenter, 19910 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
West Palm Beach
- Boynton Beach Walmart Supercenter, 3200 Old Boynton Road
- Lake Park Walmart Supercenter, 101 N. Congress Ave.
- Port St. Lucie Walmart Supercenter, 10855 S. U.S. Highway 1
- Stuart Walmart Supercenter, 4001 S.E. Federal Highway