LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Shorts International, the world’s leading short movie entertainment company and operator of the ShortsTV channel, is pleased to announce the launch of the ShortsTV App, a revolution in the delivery of short movie content.
Using advanced machine-learning algorithm technology, the ShortsTV App marries the linear ShortsTV feed with the functionality of the Internet, at the click of a button on a viewer’s remote control. The ShortsTV App enables viewers to either watch TV or to create, control and personalize their own TV channel, engineered to their desired genres or moods.
The joining of a linear feed with an Internet-overlay, dubbed “Big TV”, allows personal preferences for new short movies to prevail, putting audiences firmly in control of their own entertainment. The ShortsTV App will launch with a catalogue of 2,500 movies, drawing from Shorts International’s library of over 5,000 titles - the world’s largest collection – including Oscar-nominated, festival award-winning, star-studded live action, ground-breaking animation and captivating documentary shorts from around the world.
The ShortsTV App has been developed with Vodafone-Ziggo, the Netherlands’ largest cable operator and a joint venture of Vodafone and Liberty Global, and has launched initially across the Netherlands on the Ziggo Horizon box, available in 4 million homes. It will be rolled out as a feature of the ShortsTV Pay TV channel, the world’s only 24/7 HD TV channel dedicated to short movies, which is currently broadcast on DirecTV, Google Fiber and CenturyLink in the US, as well as on leading cable operators in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Serbia, Slovakia and Hungary, making it available in more than 33 million Pay TV homes. The ShortsTV App is currently being developed for use on smartphones, tablets and laptops.
Carter Pilcher, CEO of Shorts International, commented: “As the world’s leading short movie entertainment company, Shorts International is thrilled to launch the ShortsTV App. We want to continue to revolutionize the way we bring our audiences the world’s best short movies, by allowing them to digest content in a way that suits the user best.
“Demand for high quality short content is exploding as audiences around the world spend more time watching shorter content across multiple devices. Not only are our movies the world’s most awarded, but our technology takes advantage of the growing, global desire for personalized content. Shorts, which average at 8-12 minutes in length, are uniquely positioned for today’s mobile content audience.
“The ShortsTV App is the first for scripted content that deploys a machine-learning algorithm similar to Spotify or Pandora, placing the user in complete control of a huge library of content to explore and enjoy. With Artificial Intelligence technology and the largest selection of short content in the world, ShortsTV is creating a truly cutting-edge entertainment viewing experience.”
About Shorts International
- Shorts International is the world’s leading short movie entertainment company
- With over 5,000 titles, Shorts International has the world’s largest library of shorts available on TV, online and in theatres, including award-winning and star-studded live action, animated and documentary shorts from around the world
- Shorts International owns ShortsTV, the world’s only 24/7 HD TV channel dedicated to short movies. It is available in 33 million households with 5 million subscribers across the US, the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Slovakia, Hungary and Serbia through major Pay TV providers
- In 2018, ShortsTV launched the ShortsTV App which marries the linear ShortsTV feed with the functionality of the Internet, at the click of a button on a viewer’s remote control. Using advanced machine-learning algorithm technology, the ShortsTV App enables viewers to either watch TV or to create, control and personalize their own TV channel, engineered to their desired genres or moods
- Online, ShortsTV offers hundreds of the world’s best independent shorts for download on iTunes in 92 countries, as well as on Amazon Instant Video (UK, US and Germany), Google Play (US and Canada) and Verizon and Frontier (US)
- Since 2006, Shorts International has exclusively presented the ‘Oscar Nominated Short Films’ theatrical release in cinemas across the US, South America, Europe, Australia and South Africa
- Shorts International is headquartered in London, England and is represented in the US by Shorts Entertainment Networks, a wholly owned subsidiary located in Los Angeles, CA. The company is led by Carter Pilcher, CEO, and is owned by Shorts Entertainment Holdings, with AMC Networks as a significant minority shareholder