SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Fitbit (NYSE: FIT), the leading global wearables brand, today unveiled Fitbit Versa™, a modern, intuitive smartwatch at an approachable price. The lightest metal smartwatch in the U.S. market,i it offers a comfortable design and a new dashboard that simplifies how you access your health and fitness data. Advanced health and fitness features like 24/7 heart rate tracking, onscreen workouts, and automatic sleep stages tracking meet smart features like quick replies on Android,iii wallet-free payments on Fitbit Versa Special Edition, and on-device music – all with 4+ days battery life.ii Versa is available for presale today at $199.95, with global retail availability in April 2018.
Fitbit also announced new female health tracking to help women track their menstrual cycle, view holistic health data in one place, and better understand connections to their overall health. Female health tracking will be available on-device for Fitbit Versa and Fitbit Ionic™ users, and to Fitbit® app users starting in Spring 2018.
"As the wearables category continues to grow, Fitbit Versa fills a critical need in the market by delivering a beautifully designed, full-featured smartwatch that is easy to use at a very competitive price," said James Park, co-founder and CEO of Fitbit. "Versa brings consumers the advanced health and fitness features Fitbit is known for, along with broad compatibility across mobile platforms and 4+ days battery life to provide users with a better picture of their overall health, making it stand out from any smartwatch available today.ii"
Your all-day health, wellness and fitness companion
Versa launches with Fitbit OS 2.0 for the company's smartwatches, including a new personalized dashboard that provides a more simplified, intuitive and holistic view of your health and fitness data, bringing the best of our mobile app to the wrist, including:5
- Stats at a glance: See your daily and weekly health and fitness stats, historical activity, heart rate, and exercise summaries, action-oriented motivational messages, tips and tricks, and daily guidance – all on your wrist.
- More personalized over time: Reminders, celebrations, logging, insights, sleep summaries and social challenges, with prompts to take actions based on your data, coming later in 2018.
Versa also offers all the health and fitness features Fitbit users love most with 4+ days battery life:ii
- Personalized fitness guidance: Enhanced 24/7 PurePulse® heart rate tracking, on-screen personal workouts from Fitbit Coach, 6 15+ Exercise Modes, Connected GPS, swim tracking with water resistance up to 50 meters, plus automatic activity and exercise tracking.
- Take charge of your health and wellness: Use Sleep Stages and Insights to see how well you're sleeping and set a restful sleep schedule, and Cardio Fitness Level to see how fit you are; move more throughout the day with Reminders to Move. A relative SpO2 sensor opens the potential to track important health indicators in the future, such as sleep apnea.
- Read more about Versa here.
"I encourage all of my clients to track their activity so they understand how it plays a role in their overall health and fitness journey," said Harley Pasternak, Fitbit Ambassador and celebrity trainer. "Versa offers all of the features they need in one place to stay on top of their busy days, plus it's stylish enough that they can wear it everywhere they go – to the gym or out with friends."
Optimize your health, fitness and family planning with female health tracking
Fitbit is also introducing female health tracking to help women understand how their menstrual cycle connects to their overall health.7 According to a recent Fitbit survey, 80% of women did not know how many phases are in a menstrual cycle and more than 70% were unable to correctly identify the average length of a cycle, demonstrating a lack of awareness about women's health.8 Created for all adults who identify themselves as female in the Fitbit app,9 the feature lets you:
- Stay on top of your cycle: Easily log your menstrual cycle data, and record symptoms like headaches, acne and cramps; helps you be more informed about your health and life planning, and, as needed, can help you show your doctor specific details for more personalized care.
- Know what's ahead: See dynamic cycle predictions for where you are in your cycle and when to expect your period using Fitbit's new proprietary cycle algorithm that gets smarter and more accurate as you log your period; see where you are in your cycle at-a-glance on your wrist.10
- All of your data in one place: View holistic data in one place to reveal connections between your cycle and other stats in the Fitbit app, such as activity, sleep and weight trends to better manage your activity and sleep needs during certain times of the month.
- Period 101: Learn more about the menstrual cycle, ovulation, fertility and common misconceptions with educational content on the Fitbit blog through the Fitbit app.
- Connect with others: Join other women through Groups in the Community tab of the Fitbit app for support around key topics like periods, birth control, trying to conceive, pregnancy, and perimenopause and menopause.
- Personalized insights and guidance: In the future, as the database of female health metrics grows this data may help enable Fitbit to deliver even more insights, such as how your cycle impacts your activity, sleep, weight and nutrition, and potentially how these things can affect your cycle.
- Read more about female health tracking here.
"Female health tracking will empower women with a greater understanding of their menstrual cycles in conjunction with their physical and mental health, as they start to recognize what are normal trends over time versus what could be an issue to share with their doctor," said Dr. Katharine White, MD MPH, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Boston University School of Medicine and Fitbit Advisor. "The nuances of the menstrual cycle have not been as widely studied across populations as have other areas in healthcare. This exciting development by Fitbit could help potentially create one of the largest databases of menstrual health metrics in the world, providing healthcare and research professionals with an unprecedented ability to study menstrual cycles and women's health with real world data."
Lightweight and modern design for everyday life
The most approachable, lightest metal smartwatch in the U.S.,i Versa is comfortable, durable and versatile enough for all-day and night wear. It features an ultra-thin, anodized aluminum case and is slightly tapered and angled in its design to fit small or large wrists. The rounded square silhouette display features a bright, colorful touchscreen and brightness up to 1,000 nits, providing the ideal format to see all of your data on your wrist.
Versa offers a variety of stylish accessories so you can change your look based on your outfit or activity:
- Classic accessories: Featuring new stain-resistant materials, these sleek, swim-ready bands are available in peach, gray, black, periwinkle and white.11
- Horween leather accessories: Using renowned and respected tannery Horween Leather, these hand-crafted bands offer a cool, casual look in cognac brown, midnight blue, lavender, and saddle with artisan-inspired tan stitching.12
- Stainless steel accessories: The stainless steel links and metal mesh bands give a polished look to elevate your style. Stainless steel links are available in black, silver or tapered silver; metal mesh bands are available in black or silver.13
- Designer collection: Fitbit and The Council of Fashion Designers of America invited select designers to submit accessory designs for Versa that showcased their vision for fashion wearables. Emerging designer PH5 was selected to create a new Versa accessory line, available exclusively at Fitbit.com and Target later this year.
- Fitbit Versa Special Edition: Offering two looks in one with exclusive woven bands inspired by athleisure trends in lavender with a rose gold aluminum case or charcoal with a graphite aluminum case, as well as a black Classic accessory band in box. In the Americas, the Special Edition devices include an NFC chip to use Fitbit Pay™.14
Essential smart features that help you simplify your life
Versa offers a range of smart features to help you manage your day and quickly get the information you need most:
- Notifications and quick replies: View app, call, calendar, and text notifications from your smartphone, right on your wrist. Android phone users can send quick pre-populated or customizable replies to text messages and messenger apps (coming soon).iii
- Music on your device: Listen to phone-free music anywhere using Bluetooth headphones like Fitbit Flyer™, including 300+ songs from your personal music collection, your favorite stations from Pandora,15 and now your own or curated playlists as well as Flow from Deezer. 16
- Pay from your wrist: Leave your wallet at home and easily pay in any store where contactless payments are accepted, now available with Fitbit Pay on Fitbit Versa Special Edition products; xv supported by nearly 40 banks in 14 countries, through eligible U.S. American Express, Mastercard and Visa cards, with more countries and banks rolling out in 2018.
- Apps and clock faces you want: Personalize your device by choosing from a wide range of apps and clock faces in the Fitbit App Gallery, including those from Fitbit, Fitbit Labs, and popular brands like E*TRADE, Flipboard, Hue Lights, Nest, Starbucks, Strava, Surfline, United Airlines, Weather powered by AccuWeather, and Yelp. The Fitbit App Gallery has more than 550 apps and clock faces available today, many of which developers are working to make available to Versa users soon.
- Fitbit Labs: An R&D initiative introduced last year focused on accelerating innovation and driving behavior change, Fitbit Labs is introducing a New Parent app to help parents more easily stay on top of their baby's schedule. By logging their infant's feedings, diaper changes and sleep, plus their own mood, all from their wrist, new parents can better understand the connections between their sleep and mood, and, over time, help build a healthy routine for themselves and their baby.iv
- Broad compatibility: Versa is compatible across Android, iOS and Windows devices so you can use almost any smartphone.17
Versa's new software features are part of the latest Fitbit OS update, the operating system for Fitbit smartwatches. This software update will also be available for Ionic users.
New tools for developers
For those interested in developing for the Fitbit OS, Fitbit is also launching its first online simulator. This will allow you to easily build and deploy apps and clock faces for Ionic and Versa, without requiring a device of your own. By developing for multiple devices, you can increase the visibility of your app to reach Fitbit's global, established health and fitness community.
Pricing and availability
Fitbit Versa is available for presale today on Fitbit.com and select online retailers tomorrow for $199.95 in black with a black aluminum case, gray with a silver aluminum case, or peach with a rose gold aluminum case; accessories range from $29.95-$99.95. The Fitbit Versa Special Edition, including Fitbit Pay, is available for $229.95. Versa will be available in stores worldwide beginning April 2018, including North American retailers Amazon, Best Buy, Kohl's, Macy's, Target, Verizon and Walmart.
With the introduction of Versa, Fitbit expands its smartwatch offerings, providing consumers with greater choice across its product lineup of trackers and watches, and positioning the company to capture greater share of the overall wearables category. According to IDC, the worldwide wearables market is set to nearly double by 2021, with watches driving this growth in the long term.18
Today, Fitbit also announced Fitbit Ace™, a wristband designed for kids ages 8 and older to motivate them to move more and stay active with their families. See all press releases and download images at www.fitbit.com/press.
About Fitbit, Inc. (NYSE: FIT)
Fitbit helps people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals. As the leading global wearables brand, Fitbit designs products and experiences that track and provide motivation for everyday health and fitness. Fitbit's diverse line of innovative and popular products include Fitbit Blaze®, Fitbit Charge 2®, Fitbit Alta HR™, Fitbit Alta®, Fitbit Ace™, Fitbit Flex 2®, and Fitbit Zip® activity trackers, as well as the Fitbit Ionic™ and Fitbit Versa™ smartwatches, Fitbit Flyer™ wireless headphones and Fitbit Aria 2™ Wi-Fi Smart Scale. Fitbit products are carried in over 45,000 retail stores and in 86 countries around the globe. Powered by one of the world's largest social fitness networks and databases of health and fitness data, the Fitbit platform delivers personalized experiences, insights and guidance through leading software and interactive tools, including the Fitbit and Fitbit Coach apps, and the Fitbit OS for smartwatches. Fitbit Health Solutions develops health and wellness solutions designed to help increase engagement, improve health outcomes, and drive a positive return for employers, health plans and health systems.
Fitbit and the Fitbit logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fitbit, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Additional Fitbit trademarks can be found at www.fitbit.com/legal/trademark-list. Third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, that involve risks and uncertainties including, among other things, statements regarding the future retail availability of Fitbit Versa and the availability of other product features described in this release. These forward-looking statements are only predictions and may differ materially from actual results due to a variety of factors, including the effects of the highly competitive market in which we operate, including competition from much larger technology companies; any inability to successfully develop and introduce new products, features, and services or enhance existing products and services; product liability issues, security breaches or other defects; and other factors discussed under the heading "Risk Factors" in our most recent report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements contained herein are based on information available to us as of the date hereof and we do not assume any obligation to update these statements as a result of new information or future events.
1 Based upon leading smartwatch published weights with metal case construction, as of March 2018.
2 Battery life use varies with use and other factors; 7+ hours playing playback or using Connected GPS.
3 Quick replies for Android users will be available Spring 2018.
4 Because Fitbit Labs content is experimental in nature, users may experience minor issues, and the time period for which apps and clock faces are available may be limited.
5 Fitbit OS 2.0 will also be available on Fitbit Ionic devices in Spring 2018.
6 Additional content available with a subscription to Fitbit Coach.
7 Female health tracking will be available Spring 2018.
8 Fitbit Primary Research Study, February 2018.
9 Female health tracking is available to adults 13 and over in the U.S.; ages may vary by country.
10 At a glance view on wrist available to Fitbit Versa and Fitbit Ionic users starting in Spring 2018.
11 Periwinkle classic bands sold exclusively at Fitbit.com.
12 Leather accessories are made of Horween leather and other leather materials. Lavender and saddle with tan stitching sold exclusively at Fitbit.com.
13 Stainless steel metal link bands and stainless steel metal mesh silver bands sold exclusively at Fitbit.com.
14 Fitbit Pay is available on Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Ionic: adidas edition and Fitbit Versa Special Edition in the Americas; and on all Fitbit smartwatches in APAC and EMEA.
15 Requires Pandora Plus or Premium subscription, available in the U.S. only.
16 Requires Deezer subscription, which is available free to Fitbit users for three months; available globally.
17 See list of compatible devices at Fitbit.com/devices.